Lowell is a city in Massachusetts about 40 minutes northwest of Boston. With over 105,000 residents, it is the fourth largest city in Massachusetts, and has an important historical background. It was the first planned industrial city in the United States.
The nearest airports are Boston's Logan Airport and Manchester Airport in New Hampshire, each about 40 minutes away.
Take U.S. Route 3 or Interstate 495 to the Lowell Connector, a 2.5 mile highway that ends near downtown Lowell. Be careful; the Lowell Connector is one of the most dangerous highways in the state. Exit 31 on Route 3 and exits 37 and 38 on I-495 will also take you to Lowell.
- American Textile History Museum, 491 Dutton St, ☎ +1 978 441-0400.
- National Streetcar Museum, 25 Shattuck St. This is a satellite of the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine and shows the history of transit in Lowell in the context of American transit history.
- New England Quilt Museum, 18 Shattuck St, ☎ +1 978 452-4207.
- Whistler House Museum of Art, 243 Worthen St, ☎ +1 978 452-7641.
- Lowell National Historical Park, 67 Kirk Street, ☎ +1 978 970-5000. Open year round. 9AM-5PM (Summer to 5:30PM). Commemorates the history of the American Industrial Revolution in Lowell. Includes the Boott Cotton Mills Museum, textile mills, canals, worker houses, and 19th-century commercial buildings.
- Edward A. LeLacheur Park, 450 Aiken St. 5000-person stadium that hosts home games of the Lowell Spinners, a class A minor league affiliate of the Boston Red Sox and the UMass Lowell River Hawks.
- Tsongas Center at UMass Lowell, 300 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, ☎ +1 978-934-5760. Hosts concerts and home games of the UMass-Lowell River Hawks (an NCAA Division I hockey team).
- Lowell-Dracut-Tyngsboro State Forest. Located in the western edge of the city. This is a 1140-acre forest that has 180 acres of ponds, swamps, and wetlands.
- Cawley Stadium, off of Route 38 near Tewksbury. Hosts various sports events.
- Lowell Memorial Auditorium, 50 East Merrimack Street.
- Lowell Folk Festival. One of the largest free folk festivals in the United States, end of July. Performers throughout city, international food court.
- Lowell Quilt Festival. Annual celebration of quilts throughout city, with quilting classes, exhibitions, and demonstrations.
- Lowell Winterfest. Annual family-friendly celebration of the wonders of winter, including the National Human Dogsled Championships.
- UMass Lowell Bellgarde Boathouse, 500 Pawtucket BLVD. Home to UMass Lowell's rowing program.
- University of Massachusetts Lowell, One University Av., Phone: +1 978-934-4000, .
- Middlesex Community College, (Lowell Campus) 33 Kearney Square, .
- Blaine Beauty School (Lowell Campus), 231 Central St, ☎ +1 978 459-9959.
- UMass Lowell Downtown Bookstore, 151 Merrimack Street, ☎ +1 978 446-7819.
- Haus, 17 Shattuck Street, ☎ +1 978 458-4287.
- Brew'd Awakening Coffeehaus, 61 Market Street, ☎ +1 978 454-2739.
- Athenian Corner, 207 Market Street, ☎ +1 978 458-7052.
- Viet-Thai Restaurant, 368 Merrimack St, ☎ +1 978 446-0977.
- La Boniche, 143 Merrimack St, ☎ +1 978 458-9473.
- The Brewery Exchange, 201 Cabot St, ☎ +1 978 934-0097.
- Eggroll Cafe, 110 University Ave, ☎ +1 978 970-3411. Mon-Sat: 9AM to 10PM, Closed Sundays. Great bento boxes, delicious bubble teas, and a plethora of eggrolls. If you are look for some traditional treats, or perhaps something a new give them a try. The selection of egg rolls varies from the usual spring rolls to westernized rolls, like cheeseburger or buffalo chicken; there is a great variety to try here!
- The Dubliner, 197 Market St.
- Blue Shamrock, 105 Market St.
- The Brewery Exchange, 201 Cabot St.
- The Courtyard Bar and Grill, 280 Central St.
- Cappy's Copper Kettle, 245 Central St.
- Sangria's, 179 Central St.
- Brew'd Awakening Coffeehaus, 67 Market St.
- Courtyard Boston Lowell/Chelmsford, 30 Industrial Avenue, ☎ +1 978 458-7575, fax: +1 978 458-1302. East. $109.
- UMass Lowell Inn and Conference Center, 50 Warren Street, ☎ +1 978 934-6918.
|Routes through Lowell|
|Lawrence ← Tewksbury ←||N S||→ Chelmsford → Marlborough|
|END ←||N S||→ Billerica → Wilmington|