Llanelli is a town in Carmarthenshire.
With a population of around 45,000, Llanelli is the largest town in the county of Carmarthenshire and is on the Burry Estuary, 13 km west of the city of Swansea. Amongst other things, it is famous for its proud rugby and brewing traditions.
Llanelli is an industrial town offering two large shopping complexes: Parc Trostre - an the out-of-town shopping centre and St.Elli - located in the town centre.
Although the town itself has a dearth of tourist attractions, its location in south Carmarthenshire makes it a possible base for visiting surrounding scenic spots such as the Millennium Coastal Path and Pembrey Country Park.
Pembrey Airport is 7km from the town - private flights only
The town is linked to the M4 motorway via the A4138.
Llanelli is served by regular local bus services between Swansea and Carmarthen and National Express Coaches between many major UK destinations.
Llanelli railway station is located at Great Western Crescent south of the Town Centre. The station is connected to Fishguard and Swansea along the West Wales Line. The station is also on the Heart of Wales Line, which links the town to Mid Wales and Shrewsbury.
Llanelli is connected to the National Cycle Network from the north on NCR 43, and along the coast from the east and west on NCR 4. These routes are directly connected to the town centre via a cycle path.
Walking is the best way to get around Llanelli as it is not a large city like Swansea.
- WWT National Wetlands Centre, Llwynhendy, ☎ +44 1554 741087. a wetland nature reserve managed by the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust. It is located about 1km from the town
- Llanelly House, Bridge Street, ☎ +44 1554 772857. an early 18th century Georgian town house built in 1714 - currently under renovation
- Park Howard Museum, Felinfoel Rd.. located in the grounds of Park Howard. The museum houses a collection of Llanelli Pottery, various piecs of art and material related to the history of the town.
- Stradey Park. Home to the Scarlets, a professional rugby union team in the Pro12 league, that have a very strong rugby history. The Scarlets have moved to their new ground Parc y Scarlets near Pemberton, yet Stradey Park is very much the home of the Scarlets, even if they don't play there any more.
- Machynys Peninsula Golf Club & Premier Spa, Nicklaus Avenue, Machynys, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, SA15 2DG (Just 15 minutes from the M4 motorway, junction 48.), ☎ +44 1554 744888, e-mail: email@example.com. A picturesque course with stunning views over Carmarthen Bay and the Gower Peninsula and including 25 acres of salt and fresh water lakes. 18 holes, 7051 yds, Par 72, Standard scratch score 75. Visitors Mon-Sun & Bank Holidays. Booking required. Handicap certificate. Dress code.
- Llanelli Music & Jazz Festival: 30 August 2015 . The Llanelli Music & Jazz Festival is held every year during August Bank Holiday in the Diplomat Hotel in Llanellli. (date needs updating)
The town centre offers a wide range of stores with many national chains represented.
- Parc Trostre. out-of-town retail park.a BHS, M&S, JJB, Next, Boots, New look, Comet, Currys, Brantanos, Halfords, Carpet Right, Outfit, TK Maxx, Debenhams, Carphone Warehouse, First Choice Hypermarket, B&Q (one of the largest in Wales), Pets at home, Dreams and Tesco Extra, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, Subway, KFC, and McDonalds. WHSmith
- Parc Pemberton. out-of-town retail park. Morrisons, Homebase, Argos Extra
There are numerous pubs in Llanelli. The main clubs/bars for the younger generations are Tom Peppers, and Le Caprice, and there are tens of other pubs that would be frequented by the local crowd, especially on a Friday and Saturday night.
- Felinfoel brewery, Farmers Row, ☎ +44 1554 773357. The famous brewery is in the village of Felinfoel 1 mile N of the town. Try the Double Dragon draught.
- Trepartridge Cottage, Trimsaran Road, ☎ +44 1554 810424. Check-in: sat 3PM, check-out: sat 10AM. Self catering cottage sleeps 6 quiet location yet within short distance to llanelli, new Ffos Las racecourse, Pembrey country park. Short breaks, dogs welcome, ample parking £150 -£650pw.
- Millennium Quay Self-Catering Apartment, Llanelli, ☎ +44 1684 291288.
- Llwynifan Farm, Llangennech, ☎ +44 1554 820420. caravan site.
- Dan-y-Cwarre Farmhouse, Five Roads, ☎ +44 1269 860187, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. This 3 star self catering Farmhouse sleeping 20 is situated in the village of Five Roads. Free wifi, ample off road parking, cycle/kit storage. 10 minutes from coast, overlooking Ffos Las Racecourse. Weekend bookings available. from £800 per week.
- Gateway Caravan Park, Bynea, ☎ +44 1554 771202. Located on the Millennium Coast overlooking the Burry Inlet in south Carmarthenshire between Swansea and Llanelli.
- Southmead Guesthouse, 72 Queen Victoria Road, ☎ +44 1554 758588.
- The Waun Wyllt Inn, Horeb Road, Five Roads, ☎ +44 1269 860209.
- Hotel Miramar, 156/158 Station Road, ☎ +44 1554 754726, fax: +44 1554 772454.
- Premier Inn Llanelli Central East, Llandafen Road, ☎ +44 8708 506392.
- Stradey Park Hotel, Furnace, ☎ +44 1554 758171, fax: +44 1554 777974, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 2pm, check-out: 11am. an independently owned 4 star Visit Wales assessed hotel. Samphires Restaurant on-site, an upmarket Welsh/British restaurant.
- Best Western Diplomat Hotel, Felinfoel, ☎ +44 1554 756156.
- The Millennium Coastal Path - a path that runs along the 21km of coastline from Loughor to Pembrey. It offers panoramic views of the Gower Peninsula and traffic-free cycling opportunities.
- Pembrey Country Park - a 2 km² (500 acres) of parkland situated on the outskirts of the town; it includes the 13km long Cefn Sidan beach. Near Burry Port
- Kidwelly Castle, Kidwelly. (approx. 10 miles west of Llanelli).
- Burry Port Marina (approx. 5 miles west of Llanelli).
- National Botanic Garden of Wales (approx. 10 miles north of Llanelli) near Carmarthen.
- Swansea and the Gower Peninsula - a thirty minute drive.