Litchfield is a small city in Central Illinois. Since its founding in 1853, when the Terra Haute, Alton & St. Louis Railroad came through, Litchfield has been a stopover for travelers on the route between the major Midwestern cities of St. Louis and Chicago. First on the rail line, later on the legendary Route 66, and today on Interstate 55, Litchfield remains an oasis of traveler services halfway between Springfield and St. Louis.
Litchfield is about an hour north-northeast of St. Louis and an hour south of Springfield, along I-55 and the historic routing of Route 66.
- Gima's Guitar Museum, 303 S State, ☎ +1 217 324-5050.
- Lake Lou Yaeger. Two marinas, fishing, skiing, swimming and picnicking.
- The Ariston Cafe, 413 N Old Route 66, ☎ +1 217 324-2023. One of the oldest—if not the oldest—restaurants on Route 66, the Ariston is rightly legendary around Central Illinois. It was founded in 1924 but didn't move to this location until 1935. It's been serving travelers ever since. Today, the menu is a mix of American, Greek, and Italian favorites, prepared simply but expertly. The soup and salad bar is a daily feature, while Sunday brunch-goers will find an incredible buffet (in addition to the regular menu) with an amazingly lengthy list of items. The desserts are freshly made and come in huge portions; the baklava is a specialty. Small gift shop inside. Dinners $10-20.
- Stacey's Route 66 Cafe, 318 Old Route 66, ☎ +1 217 327-2771. M-Sa 5AM-9PM; Su 5AM-8PM. Breakfast specials $4.
- The Baymont Inn, 1405 W Hudson Dr, ☎ +1 217 324-4556.
- Belvidere Motel, 825 S Old Route 66, ☎ +1 217 324-4411.
- Comfort Inn, 1010 East Columbian N Blvd, ☎ +1 217 324-9260.
- Hampton Inn, 224 N. Ohren Lane, ☎ +1 217 324-4441.
- Holiday Inn Express, 1405 W Hudson Dr, ☎ +1 217 324-4556.
- Lake Lou Yaeger Campground, ☎ +1 217 324-3416. Open April 1 - October 31. Offers primitive campground, electric and water campground, and the "Black Lowry Horse Camp" that has accommodations for horses and is nearby the horse trails.
- Super 8, 211 Ohren Dr, ☎ +1 217 324-7788.
|Routes through Litchfield|
|Bloomington ← Springfield ←||N S||→ Mount Olive → St. Louis|
|St. Louis ← Mount Olive ←||W E||→ Springfield → Bloomington|