Limburg an der Lahn
Limburg an der Lahn is in Hesse. The town is famous for its marvelous medival town center with its timber-framed houses and its Dom.
Limburg is connected to the German highspeed train network and can be reached from Frankfurt (approx. 30 minutes) and from Cologne (approx. 1h). Keep in mind that not all ICEs from Frankfurt to Cologne or in the other direction stop in Limburg and that all those that do also stop in Montabaur, some 20 km away.
- Limburg ICE Bahnhof. Be aware: fast trains stop at Limburg ICE Bahnhof (also known as Limburg Süd), which is located approx. 2km away from the town center. Apart from the airport long distance station in Frankfurt, this is the only train station in Germany where only ICEs stop.
- Limburg Lahn railway station. Be aware: only local trains stop here
Limburg is located at the highway A3 just in the middle between Frankfurt an Cologne.
The next airport is Frankfurt Airport. From there, there are regular direct ICE roughly every two hours. You will arrive at "Limburg Süd", roughly two kilometers from the city center from where you can take a bus, a taxi or use one of the parking lots for bikes and cars.
- Dom. Guided tours take place from Tuesday till Friday at 11am and at 3pm, Saturdays at 3pm and on Sunday at 11.45am. The Limburger Dom, also known as Georgsdom, is situated above the medieval town center just beside Limburg castle. Due to its exposed position the Dom is a widely visible landmark. Its basilica is a architectural masterpiece of the late romantic era, consisting of a three-aisled basilica with late romantic and early Gothic elements. The Dom has 7 towers. Constructions for a first church at that place began in 910 AD, although construction works for the Dom only started between 1175 AD and 1200 AD. The Dom's consecration was held in 1235 AD by the Arc Bishop of Trier, Theoderich von Wied. 3€.
Limburg also has a rather pretty old town.
- Domhotel, Grabenstraße 57, ☎ +49 6431 9010. 100+ €.
- Hotel Nassauer Hof, Brückengasse 1, ☎ +49 6431 996-0, e-mail: email@example.com. Located directly at the Lahn river Double 120€.
- Hotel Ramada.
- Hotel Zimmermann.
- Hotel Martin.
- Gasthaus Priester.
|Routes through Limburg an der Lahn|
|Köln via airport ← Montabaur ←||Köln Mainz||→ Wiesbaden → Mainz|
|Köln via Siegburg/Bonn ← Montabaur ←||Köln Frankfurt||→ Frankfurt → Frankfurt Airport|