Liberia (Costa Rica)
- Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport (IATA: LIR), is called Liberia Costa Rica Airport, 13km west of the city. Daily flights arrive in Liberia on several US airlines. Nature Air and Sansa Air, the domestic airlines also land here. A bus travels between the airport and city center between 6AM-6PM.
There is an exit tax that needs to be paid on international departures. You can pay by credit card, but it will be recorded as a cash advance with higher fees.
A large public bus network services Liberia and connects it with San Jose, the beaches and the Nicaraguan border. From the only stop light in town along the Pan American Highway, go 300 meters north and turn right. There is the Pulmitan de Liberia bus stop with buses going to San Jose (USD$ 5.-), and the general bus stop that will take you to Guanacaste beaches and the Nicaragua border.
Liberia is at the cross section of the Interamericana that stretches throughout Central America and the Route 21 that heads to famous beaches such as Tamarindo.
Public bus or on foot. Liberia is a small city where everything you are likely to wish to see is within walking distance.
- Rincon de la Vieja National Park, Curubande, Liberia, Guanacaste (Liberia, head 5 km north (La Cruz) and turn right for 17 km.). 7am-3pm (Sector Las Pailas); 7am-4pm (Sector Santa Maria). Lots of volcanic activity, trails, waterfalls, plenty of wild life to see. Entrance at Sector Las Pailas is closed on Mondays; the one at Sector Santa Maria is opened every day (including even Xmas Day). $15.
- Adventure Tours (600 metersabove sea level), Rincon de la Vieja National park (From Liberia take route #1, 5km north, turn left at the Rincon de la Vieja and Curubande Signal 17 km.), ☎ +506 2665-2613. 8AM to 6PM. Adventure Tours operates one day tours in Rincon de la Vieja National Park area, from zip lines, to white water tubing, horseback rides, hot springs, volcanic mud springs, hikes to the crater. Transportation from Liberia and the beach area is provided at extra cost. starts at $25.
- Simbiosis Spa (600), Rincon de la Vieja. Volcanic Mud Springs with Spa service. Pools with volcanic mud water for bathing, mud springs for mud treatment.
At Rio Negro Hot springs pools with spring water along side Rio Negro are used for bathing. The temperature of the water ranges from 36ºC to 40ºC. Massage service is offered. Admission to the both Hot Springs and Mud Springs is $25.
- Water Slide at BuenaVista (Rincon de La vieja), Rincon de la Vieja National park directions=In Liberia, from Burger King 13 kilometers on the Interamericana road, towards Peñas Blancas, until you get to the entrance of Cañas Dulces, ☎ +506 2665-7759. 8AM - 5PM. Enjoy this totally refreshing experience with your family sliding down the longest mountain water slide; 400 meters of pure adventure and excitement in the middle of the Tropical Forest. This is done with all the necessary security equipment. It is really fun $15.
There are several different options of restaurants in the area. From American food such as Burger King, Church's, Papa John's, Subway, and Pizza Hut to local food restaurants like Guanaburger. There are lots of "sodas" (small local restaurants) around Liberia Downtown that serve Costa Rican food. Also, several bakeries like Musmanni, Panaderia Alemana (German Barkery) among others.
- Kuru is the only nightclub. A little bit dingy but very popular with the local Ticos. Goes on until everyone leaves at the weekend.
- LIB is a second story bar in the Plaza Santa Rosa. Modern design and sometimes modern music.
- Casa Pueblo on the Calle Real is popular with students. Relaxed atmosphere, funky decor and western indie and rock music.
- Elements, Calle 3 between Avenidas 3 and 5. The trendiest bar in town. Theme based in the four elements. 2 Bars, restaurant area, 1 lounge and 1 VIP area. Very popular among the staff of the Four Seasons resort, tourists and local crowd. Excellent service. Happy tunes.
- Bar de Luna is popularly known as a gay bar, next to the Best Western and across the street from Kuru. It is popular with locals and visitors because it is open until sunrise and plays great dance music. Also has a reputation with drug users, so be careful.
- Hilton Garden Inn Liberia Airport, Ruta # 21 across from the airport, ☎ +506 2690-8888. Built in 2008, the property is in front of Daniel Oduber Int'l Airport (LIR), it has 169 rooms & suites, signature bedding, LCD TVs, swimingpool, modern fitness room, car rental desk, a restaurant and bar. $60-129.
- Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, Gulf of Papagayo 20 minutes from Liberia Airport, ☎ +506 2672-0000. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Junior Suites with private plunge pool the best! amazing views $99-$459.
- Sol Resort Papagayo (Nakuti Resort), toll-free: +1-888-250-6472. This resort is situated on the shores of the Gulf of Papagayo, with direct frontage and access to Panama Beach. The rooms and villas are surrounded by exquisitely maintained gardens that utilize local flora and fauna, with a small central pond as a centerpiece. The common area walkways are nicely enhanced with artistic tile work. Locally-made statues are interspersed along the walkways, as are additional gardens. Everything is nicely lit at night.
- Hotel Liberia. About 100 meters south from the Plaza. Very simple rooms with fan. Nice staff. Good budget option. The cheapest double cost $12 (6000 colones) in April 2008.
- Best Western El Sitio. Right on the intersection and in walking distance of the town and 10 minutes drive from the airport. Simple rooms with air conditioning. Gym, casino and pool on site with large area for sun lounging. Double costs $76 and includes breakfast. Best Western El Sitio's phone number +506 2666-1211
- Allegro Papagayo, Manzanillo beach. With 300 standard rooms and 8 suites, this hotel gives you all the luxury and accommodations of a four star hotel. The rooms are provided with private baths, hair dryers, direct dial telephones, satellite TV, and electronic safety boxes. Three restaurants and three bars. The pool had a swim up bar with a wheel to spin to help select your drink. They also had access to a small private beach accessible by small boat.
- Best Western Las Espuelas, 2 km from the city, heading south on the Interamericana. A spacious, tranquil hotel. Pool and all the usual amenities. $76 a double.
- Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin, Rincon de la Vieja National Park (Curubande, Liberia, Guanacaste, at the entrance of Rincon de la Vieja National Park), ☎ +506 2666-8075. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. The hotel is in a traditional Guanacaste cattle hacienda that dates back to 1800. The national park, with all its beauty and activities, is in its back yard. $50 per person.
- La Posada Del Tope (2 blocks south of the parque central). This budget option near Parque Central has gotten mixed reviews. Shared bathrooms. Around $8.
- Hotel Guanacaste, Calle 12, between 1st and 3rd avenues. (25 meters west of the Pulmitan Bus terminal), ☎ +506 666-0085, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Member of Hostelling International. Close to all bus terminals, clean, nice patio, Internet and Wifi, restaurant, tourism information available. Shared simple from $8, private small simple from $11.
- Buena Vista Lodge, Rincon de La Vieja (Guanacaste), ☎ +506 2665-7759. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. This eco-lodge in a hacienda offers spectacular sunsets and a magnificent view of the Pacific Ocean, volcanoes, plains and forests. $78 double incl. breakfast/taxes.