Lewistown is a town in Montana. It is the geographic center of the state. The population was 5,901 at the 2010 census.
Called "The Heart of Montana", Lewistown has many of the activities that make Montana a tourist destination. There is big game and bird hunting to fishing, camping, biking, hiking and skiing. It is surrounded by five mountain ranges: the Snowies, the Judiths, the Moccasins, the Belts, and the Highwoods.
Lewistown is on US Highway 87 from the east and west. From the north it is on Hwy 191.
As with most of Montana, a vehicle is the best way to get around. The historic downtown area is walkable, and walking tour maps can be picked up at the Chamber.
- Central Montana Museum, ☎ +1 406 538-3642. 10AM-4PM summer; winter call for info. guns, saddles, fossils No fee, donations accepted.
- Lewistown Art Center (corner of Main and 4th Ave), ☎ +1 406 535-8278, e-mail: email@example.com. Tues-Fri from 11:30AM-5:30PM; Sat 10AM-4PM. free.
- Charlie Russell Chew Choo (train boards about 40 minutes outside of Lewistown), ☎ +1 406 535-5436, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Special weekends, see website. Dinner and a show on a historic train $90 adult, $50 child.
- Chokecherry Festival, Main St., ☎ +1 406 535-5436, e-mail: email@example.com. first Saturday after Labor Day. Pancake breakfast, culinary tasting, pit spitting contest, vendors
- Montana Cowboy Poetry Gathering, ☎ +1 406 538-4575, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Aug 15th-18th, 2013. $20.
- Montana Winter Fair, ☎ +1 406 538-2200, e-mail: email@example.com. Jan 20, 24-27, 2013. Traditional agriculture based fair. All Breeds Heifer Show, Quilt Show, Home Brew Contest & Tasting, Friday Night Concert, Dutch Oven Cooking Contest & Tasting, Lewistown Bow Hunters Fun Shoot, State Fiddle Contest, Chili Cook-off & Serving, Cupcake Combat Competition & Auction, Cinnamon Roll Contest and Sale, Stock Dog Trials, Judith Basin Back Country Horsemen Stick Horse Rodeo, Lewistown Carnegie Library Book Sale, plus more.
- Dash Inn, 207 Northeast Main St., ☎ +1 406 535-3892. fast food
- Dominga's Specialties Cafe, 224 West Main, Room 617, ☎ +1 406 535-8255.
- Pourman's Southwestern Cafe, 413 West Main, ☎ +1 406 535-4277.
- Southside Fish and Clam Cafe, 723 West Main St, ☎ +1 406 535-6789.
- Symmes/Wicks House, 220 W. Blvd, ☎ +1 406 538-9068. Historic home in Silk Stocking District, walking distance to downtown
- Yogo Inn, 211 East Main, ☎ +1 406 535-8721, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Originally built as a train depot in 1913. Has full service restaurant and bar.
|Routes through Lewistown|
|Great Falls ← Belt ←||W S||→ Roundup → Billings|
|Big Timber ← Harlowton ←||S N||→ Jct N → Malta|