Levice

Levice Castle

Levice is a town of about 37,000 inhabitants in Slovakia, a landlocked country in Central Europe. It is located about 40 km southeast of Nitra, and about 130 km east of Bratislava.

Understand

The first written record of Levice is from 1156 and mentions Martirius, the archbishop of Esztergom (Hungary), who consecrated the church in Bratka village dedicated to St.Martin. There was established a parish where the villages "villa Leua" and Vitk were annexed . At that time the village of Leua (Levice) was a subject to the Tekov castle, and was situated on the east part of today’s town Levice, somewhere on the slopes of the vineyard, which is still called Old Levice.

Tourist information agency is on Holubyho street 2, behind the Levice's Town Hall, phone: +421 36 6318 037.

Get in

By bus

Many bus connections operate to Levice. Use cp.sk to find the connection (click the link in the footer of the page for English language).

By train

Levice is easily reached by train from Bratislava, Košice or Banská Bystrica. Use cp.sk to search for the train connections.

By car

Use the D1 motorway to get to Levice from Bratislava or from Žilina. Take the exit to Nitra.

Get around

Levice is a small town, and as such it is very suitable for walking. Public transport is available as well (schedules: ).

See

Do

Buy

Eat

Go next


This article is issued from Wikivoyage - version of the Monday, April 28, 2014. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.