The Ledice Valtice Cultural Landscape is inscribed on the UNESCO World heritage List: Between the 17th and 20th centuries, the ruling dukes of Liechtenstein transformed their domains in southern Moravia into a striking landscape. It married Baroque architecture (mainly the work of Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach) and the classical and neo-Gothic style of the castles of Lednice and Valtice with countryside fashioned according to English romantic principles of landscape architecture. At 200 sq. km, it is one of the largest artificial landscapes in Europe.
Valtice has an accessible train station served (roughly each hour) by trains running from the main line station of Břeclav. The village centre is about 10 mins walk from the station, and there is a big map showing the area once you get down there.
There are also buses roughly every 30 minutes from near Břeclav station to both towns. The fare is very cheap one way - Kč20.
The centre of each town is small and easy to walk around. There is a tourist information desk in each of the centres. Sometimes English is not spoken very well, depending on who is working that day.
There are buses that run between the two towns. The fare will be about Kč16 one way.
The area is great to visit on bicycle. Bicycles can be hired in Lednice and Břeclav:
- České dráhy rent cycles at the train station in Břeclav.
- Bikes can be rented from půjčovnakol.cz in Lednice
Palace Mineret, reputed to be the largest outside the Islamic world
Fish Pond/ Lake
Palace Plague Coloumn
Visit one of the impressive Palaces and spend some time walking through the large parkland and in the lanes of the towns
Wander/ Cycle around the vast parklands
This area of the Czech Republic is renowned for its wines and there are many wine cellars dotted around the towns and countryside.
- Autocamp Apollo, Slovácká 46, 690 02 Břeclav, ☎ +420 519 340 414, +420 602 178 202 (Mobile), fax: 519 324 098, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Kč 380- 650.
- Černý jezdec (Black Rider), Mikulovská 690 Lednice 691 44 (From Lednice square about 100 m in Mikulov direction), ☎ +420 519 340 236, e-mail: email@example.com. Offers comfortable and calm lodging right in the centre of Lednice near the castle park. The accommodation is spacious and is set in an original rustic style. Kč800- 1,900 (5 bed).
- Garni Hotel, 21. dubna 3, 691 44 Lednice, ☎ +420 519 340 619, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Hotel has rooms over looking a central swimming pool. It is situated in the Chateau Park at the beginning of Lednice on the road from Podivín (D2 motorway – Exit 41), about 0.5 mile from the center of the town. The Hotel is found in the reconstructed buildings of the former Liechtenstein forester’s house in the Chateau Park.
- Hraniční zámeček, 691 43 Hlohovec u Břeclavi č. 16, ☎ +420 519 354353-4, fax: +420 519 354353, e-mail: email@example.com. This is significant architectural monument of the Lednice - Valtice area built by the Liechtenstein family in the years 1816 - 1819 at the village of Hlohovec near the Hlohovec pond and is registered with UNESCO. Kč 1,300 - 1,850.
- My Hotel, 21.dubna 657, 691 44 Lednice, ☎ +420 519 340 130, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. My hotel is situated in Lednice na Moravě,in the heart of the Lednice-Valtice grounds. Kč 1,490 - 2,790.
- Hotel Hubertus, 691 42 VALTICE (Located in the Palace in Valtice), ☎ +420 519352537, fax: 420 519352538, e-mail: email@example.com. The hotel can be found in the premises of the Valtice Castle, a part of the Lednice and Valtice Complex, registered in the global list of historical monuments UNESCO. Kč 980- 1,290.