Lakewood is in the Gateway Cities region of Los Angeles County.
|Daily highs (°F)||68||68||69||73||74||78||83||85||83||79||73||69|
|Nightly lows (°F)||46||48||50||53||58||61||65||66||64||58||50||45|
Lakewood enjoys a Mediterranean climate, with dry summers and wet winters.
Lakewood is a bedroom community and one of the first large-scale tract housing cities built following WWII. Lakewood is officially recognized as a Tree City USA by the National Arbor Day Foundation for its numerous trees and its active care for them. Lakewood is also designated as Sportstown USA by Sports Illustrated magazine for its 10 major parks, nine of which have fields, two community swimming pools and two community centers.
Lakewood is near the junction of California Freeway 91 and Interstate 605. Exiting the 605 at Del Amo Blvd. or South Street then going west will lead to Lakewood. Exiting the 91 at Lakewood, Clark or Bellflower Boulevards then going south will also lead into Lakewood.
- Long Beach Airport (LGB), 4100 Donald Douglas Dr., Long Beach, ☎ +1 562 570-2678, fax: +1 562 570-2600, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. American Airlines, Delta, and JetBlue fly into this airport, just a few miles south of Lakewood.
- Long Beach Transit, ☎ +1 562 591-2301. Nine of Long Beach Transit's lines service the city of Lakewood Regular: $1.25; Seniors (62 and older), Medicare, Disabled: $0.60; Children 4 and under, Legally blind, persons in wheelchairs: Free. Long Beach Transit also offers a Day Pass - Regular: $2.50; Seniors (62 and older), Medicare, Disabled: $1.50. Transfers To Foothill Transit, MTA, OCTA, Norwalk Transit, Torrance Transit, Carson Circuit, Metro Blue Line, Paramount or Bellflower Bus systems - $0.50.
- Metro Transit Authority (MTA), toll-free: +1 800 266-6883. Two MTA lines have their terminus at Lakewood Center Regular: $1.50; Seniors, Disabled, Medicare: $0.55. Metro Day Pass valid on all MTA busses and rail lines - Regular: $6.00; Seniors, Disabled, Medicare: $1.80..
- Summer Concerts in the Park, 5939 Henrilee St, ☎ +1 562 866-9771 ext 2408 (after April for a schedule of concerts). Free concerts held in Del Valle Park on Thursday evenings during the summer. Dinner and refreshments are sold at the concert or patrons may bring their own.
- Pan American Fiesta, 5720 Clark Ave (Mayfair Park), ☎ +1 562 866-9771 ext 2408. Month of May. Arts and crafts, displays, food booths, entertainment and amusement rides
- Lakewood Golf Course, 3101 E. Carson Blvd, ☎ +1 562 429-9711. An 18-hole, par 72 golf course.
- Lakewood Equestrian Center, 11369 E. Carson, ☎ +1 562 425-1905. Pony rides, riding lessons and a petting zoo.
- Lakewood Center, 500 Lakewood Center Mall, ☎ +1 562 531-6707. M-F 10AM-9PM, Sa 10AM-8PM, Su 11AM-7PM. Aside from the standard mall stores, Lakewood Center has a Carousel inside of the mall and a Pacific Movie Theatre with 16 screens, including one of the largest Southern California movie screens outside of Hollywood.
Restaurant Row - Candlewood Street between Lakewood Boulevard and Clark Avenue is home to several chain eateries including Baja Fresh, Chili's, Outback Steakhouse, Hometown Buffet, International House of Pancakes, Marie Callendars and Red Lobster. Other options include:
- East Side Mario's. New York style Italian
- El Torito. Mexican
- The Elephant Bar. Asian inspired
- Mimi's Cafe. American
- Souplantation, 4720 Candlewood St, ☎ +1 562 531-6778. Soup and salad. Very popular.
- Stuart Anderson's Black Angus. Steak
Being a bedroom community, Lakewood has very little in the way of lodging with only two motels located near the Long Beach Towne Center. Some of the communities around Lakewood, especially Long Beach, offer lodging close to Lakewood.
- Crazy 8 Motel, 11535 E Carson St, ☎ +1 562 860-0546. $52-$55/night.
- Lakewood Inn, 11727 Carson St, ☎ +1 562 402-4200.
For all emergencies in Lakewood, dial 911
The majority of Lakewood is considered safe. Most crime in Lakewood is either domestic in nature or is burglary. As at any major shopping center, shoppers at Lakewood Center should be careful about leaving valuables in their cars.
- Lakewood Regional Medical Center, 3700 E. South St, ☎ +1 562 531-2550. 24-hour emergency room.
- Los Angeles County Fire Department services Lakewood. All three of the stations in Lakewood have firefighters trained in basic life support on duty.
- Station 45 - 4020 E Candlewood Street (near Lakewood Center at intersection of Lakewood and Candelwood)
- Station 94 - 6421 E Turnergrove Street (east side of Lakewood near intersection of Palo Verde and Del Amo)
- Station 122 - 2600 Greenmeadow Road (south side of Lakewood near intersection of Carson and Paramount)
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department provides law enforcement services in Lakewood. 5130 N. Clark Avenue, +1 562 866-9061.
- Angelo M. Iacoboni Library, 4990 Clark Ave, ☎ +1 562 866-1777. M-Th: 10AM-8PM, F: 10AM-6PM, Sa: 10AM-5PM, Su: 1PM-5PM. The Lakewood Branch of the Los Angeles County Public Library.
- Disneyland — 15 miles east of Lakewood, about 22 minutes driving time.
- Long Beach — Just to the south of Lakewood
|Routes through Lakewood|
|Whittier ← Cerritos ←||N S||→ Long Beach → END|