In the past the region was directly affected by the high concentration of neo-paramilitary and guerrilla groups. The paramilitaries are notorious for massacres against the indigenous population. For 2014 travelling to the main tourist destination is possible. Check your foreign travel advice to get the latest information.
- Riohacha - the capital with 167.000 inhabitants
- Maicao with 124.000 inhabitants
- Uribia with 118.000 inhabitants
- Cabo de la Vela. A beautiful well known beach in the desert of the Peninsula de la Guajira. Trips could be booked from Santa Marta or Riohacha.
- Punta Gallinas. The most northern point of Colombia and South America. Beautiful dunes, desert, exotic beaches and sacred indigenous cultures.
- Palomino. A village with beautiful beaches off the main tourist trail between Santa Marta and Riohacha
5. El Molino
8. La Jagua del Pilar
12. San Juan del Cesar
The first bigger city after reaching Colombia from Venezuela is Riohacha. There are variouse busses from Maicao or Santa Marta everyday - price ranges from 12.000 - 18.000 for Riohacha - Santa Marta and 3.000 Maicao - Riohacha
Much of this region is considered out of bounds for tourism, as of 2011, due to the heavy presence of paramilitary groups and guerrillas. La Guajira is considered to be one of Colombia's most violent regions, with very high murder rates.. Places like Cabo de La Vela, Riohacha and Palomino appear safe for tourism now.