Kunnamangalam became prominent in the last 25 years because a large number of big educational institutions like the IIM, NIT, CWRDM and KMCT started their campuses here because of the shortage of land in Kozhikode city. Today Kunnamangalam is one of the biggest educational hubs of Kerala. The presence of a large number of outsiders has spurred the growth of restaurants and hotels in this town. The population of the town is 47,000.
Buses are plenty in sight but getting a seat is difficult because none of them start from Kunnamangalam. Autorickshaws are the best bet for local travel and they charge only ₹15 per km. Air Conditioned taxis are available for ₹1,000 per day. The main road takes you to Kozhikode through Civil Station route. If you want to take the route through the Medical College, turn left between Dilkush Hotel and Lissy Hotel.
- Camel's Hump Mountain (Vellarimala), Anakkampoyil (39 km). Vavul Mala peak is in this mountain and it is at an altitude of 2339m. The hill ranges are accessible by foot from Muthappanpuzha, near Anakkampoyil. About 6 km by foot from Muthappanpuzha on the way to Vellarimala hills is the waterfall called Olichuchattam. It is situated 15 km from Thiruvambady. KSRTC Bus Services are available from Thiruvambady to Anakkampoyil and Muthappanpuzha. Swargam Kunnu or Paradise hill is also situated here. Vellarimala - Swargam Kunnu - Hasthakappara - Olichuchattam - Marippuzha - Muthappanpuzha Trecking is possible with forest department permission. Now a new road is there from Thiruvambady to Marippuzha.
- Cup and Saucer Tree, Century Auditoirum, Kunnamangalam (1 km).
- Nellikkode Shri Vishnu Temple, Thondayad bypass junction. Sylan backgrounds
- Shri Rama Swamy Temple, Thamarassery Road (13 km). Scenic paddy fields around the temple
- Sunni University, Karanthur (2 km).
- Thusharagiri Falls, Via Thiruvampady (36 km). There are two streams here and they join to form a Chalippuzha river. The word 'Thushara' means snow and this name is given because the waterfall looks snowy. There are three branches of the waterfall and the highest falls from 75 m. This place is also ideal for trekking and rock climbing.
- Observe the kids making umbrellas, Handicrafts training institute, Karanthur. The Sunni Markaz in Karanthur has started a handicrafts training center for schoolchildren. Here the kids are making umbrellas, chalk pieces, candles and incense sticks. They also get training in glass painting, thread pattern and designing.
- Trekking @ Anakkampoyil village. Get into a bus to Anakkampoyil. You go by the road on the bank of Kaliyampuzha river. After seeing Areeppara waterfall, you go by rubber planatations and reach the scenic Anakkampoyil village. There is an Infant Jesus shrine here and also a little green mosque from where you will get good hill valley views. If you can walk one km from the last stop you can reach the beautiful Muthappan Puzha river. You can also visit Vellari Mala mountain from there. Distances to Anakkampoyil: from Thiruvampady. 12 km, from Mukkam. 20 km, from Kozhikode. 55 km, from Thamarassery.22 km, from Kunnamangalam;32 km.
- Golden Village @ Koduvally, Wayanad Road (8 km). 100 jeweleries in a one km street.
- Kunnamangalam Halva. This very sweet and colorful solid stuff made from maida (highly refined wheat) is available at a few shops near Palayam Junction and comes in various flavors, such as banana, ghee, coconut, cashew, date, tender coconut, pineapple and jack-fruit. However, karutha haluva (black haluva) made from rice is the most popular variety. If you are health conscious, simply keep away from all halvas.
- The Best beef ever, Vellimadu Kunnu, ☎ 7 km. Look for a restaurant without any sign board near Koya's cycle mart at Poolakkadavu junction immediately after Vellimadu Kunnu / JDT busstops on the way to Kozhikode. They are open 4 pm to 8 pm and the charge is ₹40 per plate. They also offer fluffy Appam (Hopper) with it for ₹7 each.
- Cochin Bakery, Near Cosmic Apartments, Medical College.
- Indian Coffee House, Kozhikode Medical College (7 km). Good ambiance, a lot of parking.
- Punjab Tiffanies, Kunnamangalam.
- Sweekar Restaurant, Jankish Busstop, Kunnamangalam, ☎ 0495 280 0158. 11 to 11.
- Taaza Restaurant (Taaza), Near IIM K (Near IIMK main Gate), ☎ +91 495 280 2622, e-mail: email@example.com. 7AM - 11PM. Multicuisine restaurant serving Indian, Arabic and Chinese dishes, with a bakery and banquet hall for 300 people. Ample parking area
- Herbal Resort, Kattangal.
- Hillside Resort, Mukkam, ☎ 04953244150.
- Malayoram Gateway, Mukkam, ☎ 0495 229 3121.
- Sahyadri Cottages, Mukkam, ☎ 099470 02266.
- Area code international (+91 495).
- Area code national (0495).
- Bangalore city, 354 km
- Beypore sea walk, 22 km
- Feroke riverside town, 20 km
- Kalpetta hills, 56 km
- Kozhikode Beach, 15 km
- Kuttiady (Peruvannamuzhi) Dam and Garden, 43 km
- Koyilandy beach, 32 km
- Mysore city, 200 km
- Ooty hills, 148 km
- Thamarassery, 16 km