Kittilä is a municipality in Finnish Lapland. The best known destinations here are the Levi ski resort (at Sirkka), Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park in the west (Ylläsjärvi, Jerisjärvi/Rauhala) and Lemmenjoki National Park in the north. Its airport serves also many other destinations.
Kittilä is situated about 150 km north from Rovaniemi. Many people coming from the south choose to take the car with them on the train from Helsinki and then drive from either Rovaniemi or from Kolari which is just some 60 km away from Kittilä (however the train to Kolari only runs twice a week).
Optionally you can drive from Helsinki. The distance is almost 1000 km and the drive will take some 12-14 hours depending on road conditions. If driving from Germany or Central Europe in general, the shortest alternative is to drive through Sweden along road E4 all the way to Luleå and then through Pajala to the Finnish border and on to Kittilä.
- Kittilä Town Hall (Kittilän kunnantalo), Valtatie 15, FI-99100 Kittilä, Finland, ☎ +358 400 356500. 8:00–11:00, 11:45–16:00. Kittilä Town Hall is located at the south part of the town centre. Visit Town Hall information desk for local maps and tips for activities.
There are also a host of other outdoor activities offered by tour providers, see below, sorted by village.
- Totovaara: 16 km by road 80 towards Kolari; also also Aakennustunturi (15 km) and Joutsenpolku (7 km) nature trails
- Äijänkuusikko (10 km farther; skiing tracks, on the other side of Aakennustunturi.
- Trail via Niritsa: 20 km from Kittilä, turn right to road 9403; also Aakennustunturi nature trail (starting 4 km from the road). The skiing tracks start at Levi 20 km away.
- Kalliokoski: 25 km from Kittilä, drive 5 km further along road 9403. The trail and the skiing tracks start at Levi 20 km away.
Sirkka and Köngäs
For activities in or near the villages Sirkka and Köngäs (about 10km north of Sirkka/Levi), see Levi.
In or near the village Rauhala at lake Jerisjärvi, near Pallas-Yllästunturi fell chain and national park.
- Fell Trek, Muoniontie 3124, 99135 Rauhala, ☎ +358 40 509-8210. In the village of Rauhala next to Lake Jerisjärvi and Pallas-Yllästunturi fell chain. Cross-country ski tours, snow shoe tours and other winter activities; hiking, biking, canoeing tours and programmes, multi-activity programmes. Guided tours for a day or even a week. Accommodation in rooms for 1–2 persons and cottages, also independently of activities.
- Pallashusky, 99135 Rauhala, ☎ +358 40 551-3153. several days' husky programmes in the beautiful surroundings of Pallas-Ylläs National Park.
Try the Lappish speciality Poronkäristys (reindeer meat).
See these listings in Levi's own page.
- Hotel Kittilä, Valtatie 49, ☎ +358 16 643 201, fax: +358 16 643 222, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Free WiFi, sauna. €75–90 (off/in season), breakfast included.
- Guesthouse Golden Goose, Valtatie 42, ☎ +358 16 642 043, e-mail: email@example.com. Free WiFi, sauna. €50–85 (off/in season), breakfast not included.
- Kittilän Lomamökit Oy, Sodankyläntie 65 (1 km from the centre, towards Sodankylä), ☎ +358 40 736 8800, fax: +358 16 644 445, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Cottages, camping etc.
See also Do above.