Kilcormac

Main Street, Kilcormac
Kilcormac is a city in County Offaly, Ireland located on the N52 at its junction with the R437 regional road, between the towns of Tullamore and Birr.

Kilcormac used to be called Frankford. The name Kilcormac comes from the Irish Cill Chormaic. This name is based on the local patron saint - St Cormac. It is a small town whose local population were predominantly employed by Bord na Móna to work the local peat bogs. Kilcormac is in the foothills of the Slieve Bloom Mountains. The Silver River flows through the village.

Get in

By car

On the Tullamore to Birr Road

Get around

Walk or cycle

See

The Pieta is a statue of Our Lady holding the body of Jesus after he had been taken from the Cross. The scene was a very popular subject for sculptors in the Middle Ages in Europe and the most famous one that exists to this day is by Michelangelo in St. Peter’s. But the Kilcormac “Pieta” is different, being carved from a block of solid oak and measuring five feet by three. It is a very beautiful carving and is believed to be the only one of its kind and era in Ireland. It is a subject of great devotion in the area and the wonderful story of its survival, which was passed on by word of mouth for generations, was finally written down by the former parish priest of Kilcormac, the late Father Andrew Shaw.

Buy

Eat

Go next

Ballyboy village is home to the thatched pub Dan and Molly's and features traditional music and dancing at the weekends. The old mill building has an interesting medieval carved head set into the wall. An 1816 First Fruits ruined church is prominent in the street scape.


This article is issued from Wikivoyage - version of the Monday, February 02, 2015. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.