Kielce is the capital city of the Holy Cross Voivodship (Swietokrzyskie) with a population of over 200,000 residents. Its history dates back to 10th century. In 1364 Kielce becomes recognized as a city and gains certain privileges connected with this legal status. In 1496 Kielce are conferred its coat of arms by the Fryderyk cardinal Jagiellończyk, Polish prince and primate, serving as a bishop in Krakau. History of Kielce is rich in important events for the history of Poland, for example here, in 1816, was organized first Polish higher technical university (that was free of charge and had two teaching languages: Polish and German). The city was hosted howsoever the unfortunate scene of the Kielce pogrom, which resulted in the deaths of 40 Jewish Holocaust survivors and another 80 injured nearly a year after the final Nazi death camp was liberated. The antecedence of the pogrom are still not clear and many hypotheses are still being considered.
- Tourist Information Center, Rynek 1; Phone +48 041/ 367-6436; Hours: Monday - Saturday 10 AM - 6 PM.
There is an international airport in the near town of Kraków, but more flights go from Warsaw: Warsaw Frédéric Chopin Airport: For those travelling from Warsaw serviced by Polski Express. See also: Routes/Timetable
Many international connections (see Poland::By bus).
- The National Museum (Muzeum Narodowe), pl. Zamkowy 1.
- The Kielce Village Museum (Muzeum Wsi Kieleckiej), ul. Jana Pawła II 6. Open air museum
- Toy Museum (Muzeum Zabawek i Zabawy), pl. Wolności 2 / Ewangelicka 2.
- Palace of Kraków Bishops
- Cathedral of the Ascension of Mary
- Municipal Park
- The Gossip
- Kadzielnia Apmitheatre
- Institute of Design Kielce, ul. Zamkowa 3. Located in renovated jail house.
- Kadzielnia Amphitheatre
- Sienkiewicza Street
- Forest Alleys
- Echo Gallery
- Pasaż Świętokrzyski
- Sienkiewicza Street
- Centrum Handlowe Radomska
- Hotel Kongresowy***- Exbud, Al. Solidarności 34, ☎ +48 41 332-63-93, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Hotel Kongresowy is a modern hotel catering to business people. 182 PLN - 690 PLN.
- Łysogóry Hotel, Ul. Sienkiewicza 78, ☎ +48 41 36 55 000, e-mail: email@example.com. 240 PLN - 600 PLN.
- La Mar Hotel, Ul, Sikorskiego 2, ☎ +48 41 33 02 200, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. This hotel is only a few years old and has very large rooms. The hotel also has a swimming pool and bowling alley.
- Qubus Hotel, ul. 1 Maja
- Hotel Kameralny, ul. Tarnowska
- Astoria Hotel, ul. Kościuszki 26. If you are looking for a nice accommodation in reasonable price in a city centre od Kielce, feel welcome to make use of our service.
- Hotel Ibis Kielce Centrum, Ul Warszawska 19, ☎ +48 41 3406900, fax: +48 41 3406969. A recently opened chain hotel (May 2009) in the city center with reasonable rates. rates from 36 €.
- Dom Harcerza Hostel Kielce, Ul Panska 1A. A cozy & friendly hostel invites you to rest and relax about 6 km from the city center of Kielce. rates from 5 €.
- Youth Hostel Wedrownik (HI hostel), ul. Szymanowskiego 5, ☎ +48-41-3423735. Budget hostel in a school, about 15 minutes by foot from the city center, with Wifi accessible from the entry of the TV room. Nearby are Tesco on the one side (in Bohaterow Warszawy), Biedronka and Lidl on the other side (Sandomierska-Slaska intersection) 29 PLN.