Keweenaw Peninsula is part of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, jutting out into Lake Superior. During the fall, the color of trees in the area is spectacular. There is a superb downhill ski resort on the east side of the peninsula.
- Copper Harbor
- Calumet - Center of the historic Copper mining district.
- Eagle Harbor
- Eagle River
- Gay - Yes, the local tavern is called the Gay Bar, but no, it's not a gay bar.
- Houghton-Hancock - twin cities and home to Michigan Tech University
Munising, MI Escanaba, MI
Given the large distance between destinations and the lack of any mass transit, traveling by car is likely the best option. Cars can be rented at the Airport between Calumet and Houghton-Hancock.
Eating in the Keweenaw is wonderfully economic. It's possible to get three full, delicious meals for oneself at a variety of local restaurants for under $10 or $15 a day.
- Irish Times -- Laurium
- Good Irish food! Not always an oxymoron:)
- Fitzgerald Hotel and Inn -- Eagle River
- I think this is a family-run place. They have a small bar, and the food was pretty good, the view was pretty nice too. Don't show up too late, or call ahead, because I think they sometimes close the kitchen early
- Gay Bar -- Gay
- You have to go to the Gay Bar! It is a hole-in-the-wall Snowmobiler type of place, but if you are out this way.
- Carmelitas -- Calumet
- I wasn't blown away, but if you crave Tex-Mex, this would be your place.
- Pilgrim River Steakhouse -- Pilgrim River (just east of Houghton along 41)
- Expensive, good place for celebrations or when your employer/ interviewer is paying
- Library -- Houghton
- My favorite place in Houghton: good food, good beer... what more is there? Service can be slow, but the menu is more extensive than many other restaurants in Houghton.
- Suomi -- Houghton
- Good place for breakfast or lunch, some Finnish fare. Large portions and reasonable prices. Favorite with the locals for obvious reasons. Many bakery options available behind the counter if you want to take some home with you. Good service!
- Kaleva Cafe -- Hancock
- More breakfast/lunch with a Finnish flavor
- KBC -- Houghton
- KBC is a brewery and doesn't serve food (besides peanuts), but a lot of places deliver here. The classic choice is Studio Pizza (though this can be pricey for pizza)
- The Hut Inn (US-41 near Laurium). Recently re-opened after a hiatus, this long-time local favorite features famous burgers, large portions of pasta, and a variety of salads and sandwiches.
- Victoria's Kitchen (Shelden Avenue in Houghton). Victoria assumed ownership of this place, which was once known as Marie's Deli. It features fare inspired by Finnish cuisine and Lebanese dishes. The quality can range from outstanding to middling. Prices are reasonable--a full breakfast is under $2 in many instances. Friendly, fast service.
A more complete list is available: Keweenaw Restaurants
It's not hard to stay safe in the "urban" areas of the Keweenaw. Exercising basic common sense will likely guarantee your safe passage. Most are not afraid to walk around alone at night because crime rates are so low.
When out and about in the woods during hunting season, wear bright colors.
Houghton and Copper Harbor are two of the main gateways to Isle Royale National Park, providing ferry service to the wilderness preserve.