Kearney is a city in South Central Nebraska.
Kearney Municipal Airport offers service to Denver, Colorado
The city is connected to Interstate 80 by two exits. Highway 30 (a main street to the city) also provides entrances to the city.
- Museum of Nebraska Art (near downtown Kearney). Offers artwork created by Nebraskans.
- University of Nebraska-Kearney. The campus is a sprawling well-cared for college located on the west side of the city.
- Sandhill cranes. Hundreds of thousands of sandhill cranes migrate through the Kearney area in March. The cranes stay for a few weeks, eating corn and roosting in the protection of the Platte River. After the birds gain enough weight, they continue their migration further north.
- The Great Platte River Road Archway (Archway Monument), 3060 East 1st St (Directly off I-80 Exit 272), ☎ +1 308-237-1000, toll-free: +1-877-511-ARCH (2724). Fall September 2, 2008 – October 31, 2008 9AM – 4PM every day Winter November 1, 2008 - February 28, 2009 10:00 – 3:00 Fri~Sat~Sun Spring March 1, 2009 – May 22, 2009 9AM – 4PM every day Summer May 23, 2009 - September 7, 2009 9AM - 6PM every day. A large arch spanning over Interstate 80 in Kearney, Nebraska that contains exhibits displaying the Platte River's role in American history including the Oregon Trail, the Lincoln Highway and more. There is also a restaurant at the archway Adults (16 & up) $10.00 Seniors (62+) $ 8.50 Youth (11 -15) $ 6.00 Child (6 - 10) $ 3.00 5 & Under free.
- Tri-City Storm. A USHL hockey team plays at Viaero Event Center, located on the southwest side of the main Interstate 80 interchange at mile marker 272.
- Cabelas, East Highway 30. Offers a full range of sporting goods and outdoor apparel
- Hilltop Mall. Located on the northern edge of the city offers a few mall shops and is located near a Super Wal-mart, K-Mart, Target and a Menard's home repair store which is located further north on the extreme north end of town.
Various fast food outlets are found near the Interstate including a McDonalds, Burger King, Runza, Red Lobster, Old Chicago and a Perkins family restaurant.
- Valentino's Buffet (Hilltop Mall).
- Grandpa's Steak House (south of Interstate 80). Offers upscale dining, locally known for their steak.
Various hotels exist especially on the southern end near the Interstate including a Ramada Inn, a Best Western and a Holiday Inn.
- Econolodge, 709 2nd Ave, ☎ +1 308-237-2671. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. This recently remodeled award winning property offers a great value to travelers visiting the Kearney, NE area or traveling along I-80
- Rodeway Inn & Suites, 411 2nd Ave, ☎ +1 308-698-2810. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. The platinum award winning Rodeway Inn & Suites of Kearney, NE offers large rooms with microwaves and refrigerators in every room.
Safety issues often amount to the common sense you'd take in most cities. Keep valuables and expensive electronics out of sight and don't go out at night alone. Lock your car and park under well lit areas. Be weary of any fights you see; chances are it is a rouse. Also be mindful to cover your card number when withdrawing money from ATMS.
Located nearby is the historic Fort Kearny which offers camping sites and is also a State Historical Park.
|Routes through Kearney|
|North Platte ← Brady ←||W E||→ Grand Island → Omaha|
|North Platte ← Brady ←||W E||→ Grand Island → Missouri Valley|