Keansburg was formed as a borough by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 26, 1917, from portions of both Middletown Township and Raritan Township (now Hazlet), based on the results of a referendum held on April 17, 1917. The town has been a popular tourist spot since the beginning of the 20th century, through to the 1960's, when Hurricane Donna wiped out much of the waterfront area. Weary NYC residents would ferry over and spend the weekend, or summer vacation to escape the city heat. The boardwalk and town enjoyed its popularity for many years and is now part of American culture. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough population was 10,105. Keansburg is part of the Bayshore Regional Strategic Plan, an effort by nine municipalities in northern Monmouth County to reinvigorate the area's economy by emphasizing the traditional downtowns, dense residential neighborhoods, maritime history, and the natural beauty of the Raritan Bay coastline.
NY Waterway offers ferry service from NYC to Belford, NJ and other destinations on the Jersey shore. The Belford station is a five minute drive to downtown Keansburg or the boardwalk area. http://www.nywaterway.com/FerryRoutesSchedules.aspx
- New Jersey Transit. Train and bus service throughout the North-East corridor, mostly NYC to NJ. Trains from NYC stop in Matawan, Hazlet and Middletown; while bus service is direct with stops throughout Keansburg.
- Keansburg Amusement Park, 275 Beachway, Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732 495-1400. The closest boardwalk to NYC is also one of the oldest.The 109 year old amusement park is still there, and offers an inexpensive alternative to places like Seaside or Wildwood. Many renovations have been made to the park since the storm that wiped it out in years past, but there is still a lot of history in the park, including the "Spook House" which is one of the oldest amusement rides still running in the United States, possibly the world. http://blog.nj.com/njv_mark_diionno/2010/07/njs_oldest_amusement_park_brin.html
- Runaway Rapids water park is very popular amongst tourist groups. Get there early though, because it fills up quick. http://www.keansburgamusementpark.com/defaultrr.asp
- Henry Hudson Bike Trail extends along the bayshore from Keyport though Keansburg and Atlantic Highlands down to Sandy Hook. This scenic trail is mostly paved with several bridges and a few intersections. The trail was built over the old bayshore railway line. A detailed map is available at the Monmouth County Park System website: http://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/page.aspx?Id=2525
- Bayshore Waterfront Park, 719 Port Monmouth Rd, Port Monmouth, NJ 07758, ☎ +1 732 787-3033. Bayshore Waterfront Park, located in Port Monmouth next to Monmouth Cove Marina, preserves a thriving coastal landscape on Sandy Hook Bay. Enjoy the maritime shrublands, tidal creeks, salt marshes, dunes, a mile of beach and scenic views across the water. The park offers a fishing pier, access to Raritan Bay, and beautiful views of the NY skyline.
- Colman's Point. In September 1609, the Halve Maen (Half Moon), anchored along the shores of the Raritan Bay, and remained for five days to explore the estuary and establish contact with local Lenape people (who later become known as the Navesink and Raritan). Four o'his crew were sent up the Arthur Kill and to Newark Bay. Upon their return they were attacked and one of them, John Colman was fatally shot by arrrow. Taken ashore to be buried, the spot was christened Coleman's Point. He was the first European to die by violent means in the New World. The area that is today the intersection of Carr Avenue and Beachway, is the historic location that bears the name Colman's Point.
- Keansburg Waterfront Public Library, 55 Shore Boulevard, Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732-787-0636. The Library provides leadership and serves as a source of information for citizens and community organizations, and is an avenue for local organizations to reach the broader community.
- Keansburg Fishing Pier, 275 Beachway Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732 495-8842, e-mail: email@example.com. The Pier is now open for the season: Monday thru Friday - 7AM to 10PM Saturday & Sunday - 6AM to 10PM
- Batter Up Batting Cages, 275 Beachway Ave, Keansburg, NJ (http://national.citysearch.com/profile/map/6740079), ☎ +1 732-471-8700. Coin operated batting cages, open all year round. Softball & baseball, fast pitch or slow available.
- Church of Saint Ann (Catholic Church), 311 Carr Avenue Keansburg, New Jersey 07734, ☎ +1 732-787-0315. Rectory hours are Mon-Fri 9:15AM-4:30PM
- A&S Italian Sausage Factory (Sausage factory and butchershop), 12 Church St Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732 787-7798. Fresh sausage made on premises, sold to the public through Italian specialty butcher shop.
- Keansburg Farmer's Market (Located at Friendship Park), Corner of Main Street and Frances Place, ☎ +1 732-787-1703. (June-October)
Friendship Park Main Street, Keansburg, NJ Wednesdays and Fridays 12 noon to 5:00 PM Contact Information TJ Burnley 732-787-1703
- It's New To You (Consignment Shop), 59 Church St, Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732-787-8500. New and almost new quality items, knicknacks, children & teen clothing, baby, adult.
- Project Paul (Thrift Shop & Furniture), 211 Carr Avenue Keansburg NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732-787-4887. Mon-Fri 10AM to 3PM, Sat 10AM TO 2PM. Project Paul's thrift shop is staffed by volunteers. Proceeds from sales go to support their programs. Clothing, household items, and other necessities from the thrift store are also donated to qualifying families.
- Centre Hotel & Bar (Liquor Store), 67 Carr Ave, Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732-787-6731. Located at the corner of Carr and Centre Ave., it is neither a bar nor a hotel (least not one you want to stay in) but rather a liquor store. They actually have a refurbished bar in the back but it goes unused. This is/was one of the oldest bars in town, still standing.
- Family Dollar (Dollar Store), 6 State Route 36 W, Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732-471-9402. Specializing in imported goods and out of code foodstuffs. One of the most disorganized dollar stores but it is cheap....Yay cap'n krunch for a 1.99
- Belford Seafood Cooperative Association (Seafood Store), 901 Port Monmouth Rd., Port Monmouth, NJ, ☎ +1 732-787-6508. Nice selection of fresh fish. The co-op smells like low tide sometimes.
- Shoal Harbor Lobster Company (Seafood Store), 909 Port Monmouth Rd., Port Monmouth, NJ, ☎ +1 732-787-5119. They have a smaller selection than the Belford seafood co-op but the prices are similar and this place is much cleaner.
- Bayshore Watch & Jewelry, 66 Hwy 36, Keansburg, NJ, ☎ +1 732-787-7899. They have a nice collection of antique watches but a pawn shop by any other name is still a pawn shop.
The majority of restaurants are take-out or dine in with plastic utensils. A few worth mentioning include:
- Barb's Big Burrito which offers great Mexican food, the burrito is tough to beat.
- Anthony's Pizza Villa, located by the roller-coaster. Has quite possibly one of the best slices of pizza on the east coast outside of NYC.
- Dixie Lee Bakery, Located on Main Street. One of the best bakeries at the shore. Famous for their Black & Whites cookies. Be sure to try the coconut & crumb buns, but arrive early since they often run out.
- Lucisano's Pizza, 42 Church Street, Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732 495-5020. The Best pizza around despite their gruff manner.
- El Caribeneno (Spanish & Dominican Food), 288 Main Street, Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732 495-1000. Really good Spanish food from very nice people who sometimes forget to answer their phone and don't deliver. Everything is made to order and they quickly run out of certain items.
- Gem's House of Bagel's (Delicatessen), 284 Main Street, Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732 787-0987. The best Italians subs in the area, although they tend to get a bit frazzled around lunchtime.
- Anthony's Pizza (Italian Pizza & Restaurant), 65 Church Street Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732 787-2950.
- Golden Wok (Chinese), 8 Church Street Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732 495-9775. The best of the local take-out Chinese available
- Poppa's Pizza (Pizza & Subs), 297 Main Street Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732 787-9761.
- Roma Pizza (Egyptian Pizza), 214 Main Street, Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732 787-2828.
- Dunkin' Donuts, 171 Main Street, Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732 787-4949. The one in the Shell Station is reputedly better run than the one in town.
- Jersey Joe's (luncheonette), 719 Port Monmouth Rd, Port Monmouth, NJ, ☎ +1 732 787-5779. Try the authentic Italian hot dog (and sausage) served in a hollowed round peasant bread with peppers, onions & potatoes. They may serve other food but most folks go there for one or the other. Located across the street from the Bayshore Waterfront Park, in what used to be called East Keansburg.
- Vito's Pizza & Pasta, 120 Carr Ave., Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732 787-5115.
- Jade Garden (Chinese), 210 Main Street Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732-495-0095. The first Chinese restaurant to open in town.
- Longo's Cafe (luncheonette), 29 Carr Ave Keansburg, NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732-787-8718. Open late night in summer.
- Terminal Lunch (luncheonette), 288 Beachway Ave., Keansburg, NJ, ☎ +1 732-787-4026. Seasonal restaurant that derives its name from its location adjacent to the former bus depot-terminal and not the fate of its patrons. Located across the street form Barb's Burrito, I hardly ever see anyone eat there and I wonder how it stays open?
- Shoal Harbor Lobster Company (Seafood Restaurant and Store), 909 Port Monmouth Rd., Port Monmouth, NJ, ☎ +1 732-787-5119. Shoal Harbor Lobster Company is a locally owned Seafood Market and Open Air dining and take out Restaurant. Highlights of this casual, family oriented restaurant include the Clambake, the Seafood Boil, and the Shoal Harbor Stew Consisting of shrimp, scallops, mussels, clams, and the daily catch in a saffron cream.
- Pirate's Cove (Seafood Restaurant), 901 Port Monmouth Rd., Port Monmouth, NJ, ☎ +1 732-787-6581. This place has opened and closed a few times so definitely call ahead.
- Stewart's Root Beer (Fast Food), 274 Hwy 36 Keansburg NJ 07734, ☎ +1 732-495-5969.
Keansburg has many pubs and taverns. Several can be found along the boardwalk area, including:
- TJK Stadium Seasonal bar open all year round. They make a decent burger at this tiki style open air bar. Formally known as the "Stockhouse".
- Cabana Club Located on the boardwalk and Beachway. This bar has been renamed a few times through various owners. They have fresh seafood and two bars though the inside one is usually closed. Formally known as the "Miami Club" and the "Alibi"
- Jackie Keelen's Bar Located on the Henry Hudson Trail in the old train station building. The nicest bar in town has 26 beers on tap but no food.
- Applejack Bar & Grille Located at the corner of Centre and Carr Ave. This place is known as the rudest bar in town but they also have the best food. Formally known as the "Deluxe Bar"
- The Marina Inn Bar Located at the foot of Laurel Ave where the creek meets the bay. Some of the patrons here look like extras from a pirate movie. Also known as the "Maplewood Inn".
- Ted's Tavern Located on Hwy 36 in West Keansburg. This bar features a fairly friendly crowd on the edge of town.
- Mike's Hiawatha Inn, 180 State Route 36 W, ☎ +1 732 787-0950. Relocated from Hwy 35 to a new building on Hwy 36, this small bar serves decent pizza and bar food. The bar has a friendly friendly crowd and caters to people too nervous to drink in Keansburg proper.
- Bachstadt's Tavern Located near Ideal Beach, off of Port Monmouth Rd. This is the oldest of old man bars and one of the few to still sell "set-ups" (Buy the bottle and drink it there)
- Some places in town tend to be local hangouts but most people won't bother you, if you mind your own business. Sometimes, its best to keep your loudmouth friend at home.
- Walking around away from the boardwalk area at night is not advised. Most of the crime in the area is youth based vandalism. Moderate precautions will be more than enough to keep you safe.
Unfortunately, there are no major hotels in Keansburg itself, so you should check out the nearby area including:
- Holiday Inn in Hazlet
- The Howard Johnson's in Middletown
- Wellsley Inn in Hazlet
- Blue Bay Inn. In Atlantic Highlands
- Casa Giunta Bed & Breakfast in Highlands 187 Bay Ave., Highlands, NJ 732-291-4082. http://casagiunta.com
Marine boat and docking facilities:
- Raritan Bay Marina, 39 Charles Avenue, ☎ +1 732 495-4247. Keansburg, NJ 07734 Winter storage and shrinkwrap available.
- Captain's Cove Marina Inc, 100 Laurel Avenue, ☎ +1 7734-2922 732 495-0101. Keansburg, NJ Winter storage and boat ramp available.
- Lentze Marina, 75 First Street, ☎ +1 732 787-2139. West Keansburg, NJ 07734. Full service, storage and winterization marina. Conveniently located minutes from the east coast's best fishing grounds.The Hook!
- Monmouth Cove Marina, 200 Port Monmouth Rd, ☎ +1 732 495-9440. Middletown, NJ Monmouth Cove Marina is part of Bayshore Waterfront Park which offers recreational opportunities in the Bayshore. No restrictions to Bay or Ocean. Convenient to New York City and just ten minutes to Sandy Hook.