Kataragama is a town in Uva.
Kataragama is a pilgrimage town sacred to Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim and indigenous Vedda people of Sri Lanka. People from South India also come there to worship. In July and August the Kataragama festival brings in many pilgrims and it's very hard to find a place to sleep. The rest of the year it's a rather peaceful and quiet place.
- Bus stand, Depot Rd. Kataragama can be visited from Tissamahara (1 hour by bus) or Ella (3 hours). It's also very close to the popular Yala National Park.
- Kataragama Temple Complex. There are temples for Buddhists and Hindus as well as a mosque here. There are many puja stalls outside of the temple complex which makes it looks like a market place, but locals are selling the traditional marigolds, fruit, incense and other religious items to take into the temples.
- Mandara Rosen, 57 Detagamuwa (on the road to Tissamaharama), ☎ +94 47 2 236030.
- Hotel Clauria, 118, Thissamaharama Road, ☎ +94 47 2 236336.
- Jayasinghe Holiday Resort, Tissamaharama Rd, ☎ +94 47 2 235146.
- Mahoora Tented Safari Camp, Yala national Park, ☎ +94 77 373 9708.
- Hotel Okrin, 110 Detagamuwa, ☎ +94 47 2 235032.