Kalpitiya is a small fishing village that started to develop into a tourist center a few years ago.
Kalpitiya is located to 165 km North from Colombo. You can get here by bus/car for about 3.5 hours drive. Public transport is available from Colombo to Puttalam, after you can take a tricycle. Also you can hire a van with driver for 7000-8000 LKR from airport.
Public transport is cheap, but very slow and may not be readily available. You could also use the omnipresent Three Wheelers (Tuk-Tuks). Always agree on the price before you get in. Prices vary and it is best you get advice from your Hotel about prices before you hail one.
Renting a car/van/bike could be a big problem in Kalpitiya/Puttalam area. If you plan to get around with our own transport (which is good idea), its much easier to rent one in Negombo/Colombo area.
- Boat trip to see dolphins/whales
- Kitesurfing. Huge empty lagoons with flat water and some waves. Seasons starts in May and lasts till September. There are few excellent kite trip destinations, you need a boat to reach them.
- Diving. There are no diving operators in Kalpitiya, but you can arrange dive trip with help of Colombo operators. Diving season here is December to April.
There are tree kitesurfing schools operating:
- Kitesurfing lanka, ☎ +94 773 686 235. Kiteschool with accommodation, prices from 35€
- Kitekuda kite camp, ☎ +94 722232952. Kite camp, accommodation starts from 40€
- Wind4Love Kite center Sri Lanka, ☎ +94 71 554 0305. Kite school with accommodation, prices from 29 €
The best souvenir from Kalpitiya is a bottle of arrack — local liquor 33° from coconut, feels like something between rum and whiskey. You can buy it from wine shops, price starts from 900 LKR. Locals are recommending DCSL brand.
There are no bars, but you can buy arrack/wine/beer from wine stores. Shops are closed by 9 PM, so plan early.
There are very few restaurants in the Kalpitiya town area. Do not expect high standards and quality.
Don't miss local street food egg roti, you can find it on every corner.
If you want to cook yourself (which is the only option to have good food), Carghill Food City supermarket is located in Puttalam near the hospital.
Compared to the very tourist friendly Negombo and the down south, Kalpitiya is relatively under developed for tourism and finding comfortable accommodation could be a challenge.
- Taniya Nature Resort Kalpitiya, ☎ +94 788 906228. Is a very basic guesthouse with AC/Non-C Rooms and restaurant. Rooms could be scary. 2500 LKR for fan room / 6000 LKR for AC room.
- Resthouse in the center of Kalpitiya, 2000 LKR for 3-bed dorm. Restaurant with ok food. Near Police station.
- Dolphin Eco View Lodge. Nice bungalow style resort on the Dutch Bay lagoon, price starts from 35$ DBL
- Ruwala Nature & Aventure Park Resort (firstname.lastname@example.org), Kalpitiya Road, Thihaliya, Eththale, Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka (On the way from Pulatam to Kalpitiya), ☎ +94 777 345 531, +94 777 530 542. The resort is a fusion of a rustic eco-retreat and adventure-park on the banks of the scenic Puttlam lagoon. From 80 to 120$.