You can go there by train from Malmö, or from Copenhagen Airport. Flying to Stockholm (Skavsta) is another option, and driving down the E22. Kalmar does have an airport with connections to Stockholm Arlanda.
For boat lovers Kalmar has a beautiful harbour with good facilities for the visitor. Occasionally cruise ships stop at Kalmar.
You can walk to all interesting locations. The city centre is relatively small, with two main squares. On one you find the cathedral (Domkyrkan) and the other is called Larmtorget. From the second one, you can walk to the Baronen shopping centre. You can also rent canoes at the low cost hotel Svanen, and you can paddle your way around the centre, which is an island.
- Kalmar Castle (Kalmar Slott).
- Kalmar County Museum (Kalmar läns museum).
- The cathedral (Domkyrkan) dating back to 1660
- Kalmar Art museum opens 2008 in a new, highly controversial building
- Salve experience the Middle Ages, live
Kalmar is an interesting town in many ways. The town was established in 12th century and the old city wall is still well preserved. The Kalmar Castle dates back to the year 1160 A.D and the tower of the castle was continuously expanded in the 13th century. Beside the castle, there is a very peaceful city park.
This town is connected to the island of Öland by a bridge, which used to be Europe's longest (6 km). Kalmar is about 45 minutes away (by car) from the Glass Kingdom (Glasriket) where the famous works of Orrefors, Kosta Boda, Nybro, Pukeberg, Målerås are located. Kalmar has a football team, Kalmar FF, that won the Swedish cup in 2007. They play in the highest division, the Allsvenskan. You can watch them play at Kalmar Arena. Newly constructed and opened in 2010.
Kalmar has a university, Linnéuniversitetet (Högskolan i Kalmar). It is known for its courses in seafaring, teaching and economics (Baltic School of Economics).
The past couple of years many shopping malls and establishments have opened in Kalmar. The main shopping areas are
- Bilen. IKEA, CityGross and other large stores. By the E22.
- Giraffen. ICA Maxi, Onoff, CoopForum and many other stores
- Baronen. Close to the harbour. Many smaller shops and a movie theatre
- the city centre has many small shops
In the museum Länsmuséet you can buy many Christmas articles, some made after designs by Jenny Nyström, a famous Swedish artist born in Kalmar.
- Thai Silk Palace, Fiskaregatan 8
- Kama Sushi, Västra Sjögatan 13
- Helén & Jörgens Larmtorget, voted by many as the best in town
- Calmar Hamnkrog the restaurant with the best location in town, on the water!
- Larmgatan 10, Larmgatan 10, combination of Asian and European cuisine
- Thai Taste, Esplanaden 6, Thai food take away
- Krusentiernska gården A wonderful coffeeshop in a beautiful garden setting
- Kullzénska caféet Wonderful small coffeeshop in an old building in the centre
- Calmar Stadshotell. Stortorget 14 - classy and centrally located
- Clarion Collection Hotel Packhuset, Skeppsbrogatan 26, Kalmar, SE, 392 31 (attached to Baronen shopping centre; railway station < 500 m; castle 1 km), ☎ +46 480 570 00. Good-quality hotel on the waterfront. Rooms are not large, but efficiently designed; some have sea view. Includes wireless internet, breakfast, afternoon tea, and dinner.
- Hotel Witt
- Brofästet Hotell & Konferens
- Lågpris Hotell och vandrarhem Svanen
- Hotell Kalmar. Info on all hotels in Kalmar.
- Vassmolösa Gästgiveri, Karlskronavägen 53, 388 91 VASSMOLÖSA, ☎ +46 48032280. 450-700 SEK.
- Café Dream (Västra Sjögatan 17) is an Internet cafe. 30 SEK for 30 minutes.
- Turistbyrån has Internet for 20 SEK. This is for a total of 24 hours usage to be used within 3 months and is wireless, so you need your own phone/laptop or iPad. Very cheap and fast, though only useful if you are visiting the wharf as it does not reach much more than within a 1 km radius.
Kalmar suits very well as the starting point, if you want to experience the Swedish east cost. Swebusexpress runs between Kalmar and Karlskrona regularly and the cost of this bus trip is low. It is also possible to travel to another elegant and relaxing summer resort in the east cost, Västervik. The local bus goes to Borgholm in Öland island and it takes approximately one hour.