Luster is a village and name of a municipality in Sogn og Fjordane county. Luster sits right at the intersection of central alpine mountains, great glaciers and the iconic fjords.
Apart from the grand nature, Skjolden is known for Ludwig Wittgenstein's lodge.
Luster is at the inner (eastern) end of the 204 km (127 mi) long Sognefjord. Parts of Jotunheimen (Norway's high alpine summits) and Jostedalsbreen (Norway's great glacier) are within Luster municipality. Luster's grand nature is created at the intersection of Norway's largest fjord, largest glacier and tallest mountains. Numerous rivers transport "thick" (opaque) glacial meltwater to lakes and to the fjord, giving fjords and lakes a milky turquoise appearance. Luster is also home to numerous pretty waterfalls. Luster fjord (Lustrafjorden), easily recognized by its emerald-turquoise color, is a major arm of the great Sognefjord, and is more than 600 meters deep at Urnes. The area is sparsely populated, and is primarily glaciers and barren uninhabited mountains.
Some 5,000 inhabitants share more than 2,500 km2, making it a sparsely populated area, built up areas and farm land is limited to narrow shores and narrow valleys. About 15 % of the area is glacier or permanent snow. There are no towns in the area, only small villages and settlements.
Luster is in western Norway so overland transport from East Norway runs through mountain passes.
Seven times daily from Sogndal. Buses twice daily from Lom, July-August only.
Luster is on route 55 between Lom and Sogndal. Route 55 is a national tourist route that includes the Sognefjell mountain pass - Norway's highest public road and closed during winter.
Road 55 connects to the private Tindevegen at Turtagrø, road to Årdal through high mountains.
Lustrabaatane is a ferry connecting Solvorn to Ornes (Urnes) respectively on the west and east shore of the fjord. The ferry is running 9 times a day in summer, 4 times in winter and it costs kr 34 per person and kr 93 for vehicles less than 6 m (19.7 ft). The crossing takes about 15 minutes.
- Nigardsbreen, Gaupne/Jostedalen (Route 55 to Gaupne then route 604). Arm of the great Jostedalsbreen glacier. Observe from safe distance, guide needed for hike on the ice.
- Feigumfossen (Feigefossen), Skjolden, ☎ +47 97600443, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A 218 m (720 ft) high waterfall. The waterfall can be seen from route FV331. A path let you take a closer look. If you continue on the path there is a place right by the bottom of the waterfall where you can take a sip of pure, safe snowmelt. Free.
- Romantic Road (Starts in Skjolden ends in Urnes). The FV331 is a 30 km scenic road along the eastside of the fjord. The road is narrow with several curves, so drive slowly. From Urnes you can take the ferry to Solvorn. This is a nice alternative to route 55. Free.
- Jotunheimen (Road 55 (and/or Tindevegen road to Årdal)). Western part of Norway's highest mountains are in Luster and Årdal districts. These are also the wildest part of Jotunheimen, steep summits and sharp ridges.
- Urnes Stave Church (Urnes Stavkyrkje), Urnes (30 km (19 mi) from Skjolden on route FV331, or with ferry from Solvorn.), ☎ +47 57678840, fax: +47 57678889, e-mail: email@example.com. 5 May-30 Sep: 10.30AM-5.45PM. The oldest stave church in Norway, built around 1130 AD. Included on UNESCO World Heritage List. Adults: kr 80, Students/Children: kr 60.
- Ludwig Wittgenstein's lodge, Skjolden (Eidsvatnet lake). Austrian philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein had a vacation lodge on an isolated spot above the lake, he spent long periods there working on his theories. The building was later moved down to Skjolden, only foundations remain in the forest. Barely visible across the lake from road 55. Free.
- Dale church (Dale kyrkje), Luster village (Road 55). A modest gothic, medieval parish church with an impressive soapstone portal (visible indoor only) and murals. Free.
- Gaupne old church (Gaupne gamle kyrkje), Gaupne (Road 55). Wooden church (about 1647) with remains of ancient stave church on the same site, notably the wooden portal. Modest exterior. Interior rosemaling or tole painting. Now maintained as cultural heritage. Adults: kr 50, Students: kr 40.
- Cycling, Nørstedalseter, ☎ +47 95076382, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 26 Jun-13 Sep: 8AM-11PM. Cycle the 32 km (20 mi) long downhill from the mountain down to the fjord. Those with strong leg muscles can cycle up again (and save kr 80). Cyclehire: kr 120, Drop of Cycle by the fjord: kr 80.
- Hiking, ☎ +47 97600443. Hiking in Jotunheimen.
- Moreld Sea Kayak, Kroken, ☎ +47 40467100, e-mail: email@example.com. Kayaking tours to Feigumfossen waterfall and Urnes Stave Church. Longer tours also available. kr 450-750.
- Sognefjellet mountain pass (Sognefjellsvegen), Road 55 from Skjolden. Summer only. Norway's highest mountain pass runs pass Norway's highest mountains in Jotunheimen with view to summits and glaciers. On the eastern side through Bøverdalen valley to Lom village. The road is closed in winter, opens about May. Steep ascent and descent, sharp corners. Cross country skiing is possible until June. Free.
- Husflidsbua, Skjolden, ☎ +47 57686106. Arts and traditional crafts.
- Solstrand Fjordhytter, Luster, ☎ +47 95221641, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Cabins with view of the fjord.
- Eplet Bed & Apple (Solvorn village on road 55), ☎ +47 41649469, e-mail: email@example.com. Guest house and apple juice farm with friendly staff. You can do fruit picking during summer and stay for free in dormitory or with your tent. Open from 1st April to 1st October. Double: kr 600, Single: kr 500, Dormitory: kr 200, Tent: kr 100 per person. Warning: cash only payment and no ATM available in Solvorn.
- Skjolden Hotel, Skjolden, ☎ +47 57682380, fax: +47 57682381, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Double room: kr 990-1090.
- Turtagrø Hotel, Fortun, ☎ +47 57680800, fax: +47 57680801, e-mail: email@example.com. Double: kr 1980, Single: kr 1490, Tent: kr 125 per person.
- Tørvis Fjordhotell, Marifjøra, ☎ +47 57683500, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Double room: kr 1590.
- Eikum Hotell, Hafslo, ☎ +47 57680600, e-mail: email@example.com.
Route 55 to Lom is a scenic road. It is the highest mountainpass in Norway at 1434 m (4705 ft). Closed during the winter (Nov-May). Private road from route 55 at Turtagrø to Årdal.
Route 55 to Sogndal.