Jeffersonville, often called "Jeff" by locals, is the county seat of Clark County in Southern Indiana, located on the opposite side of the Kennedy Bridge (carrying I-65) from Louisville along the Ohio River. It has a population of 30,000, but current annexation plans could increase it's population to about 45,000.
Interstate 65 connects Jeffersonville with Louisville and other points between Chicago and Mobile, AL. Indiana 265 (soon to be Interstate 265 when a new bridge to Kentucky is opened in the 2010's) offers a bypass around the northern end of the city.
Small aircraft can fly into Clark County Airport, five miles north in Sellersburg. Passenger jet service is available at Louisville International Airport, eight miles south off of I-65 and I-264.
Amtrak discontinued service to Jeffersonville and Louisville in 2003.
The main road through Jeffersonville is 10th St. (formally IN 62). Riverside Dr. and Utica Pk. carry traffic along the Ohio River. Hamburg Pk. runs north-south along the western side of the city. Veterans Pkwy. connects the north side of Jeffersonville with the retail district of Clarksville. Holmans Ln. connects Veterans Pkwy with 10th St. on the east side, where at that point Allison Ln connects 10th with Utica Pk..
- Hidden Hill Nursery & Sculpture Garden, ☎ +1 812 280-0347. 1011 Utica-Charlestown Rd., Utica. Eight acres of hundreds of rare and unusual trees, shrubs and flowers for sale. A mix of interesting garden art and child pleasing whimsy.
- Howard Steamboat Museum, 1101 East Market St, ☎ +1 812 283-3728. A 22-room, late Victorian mansion features stained and leaded glass windows, intricate hand carved and original furnishings. Artifacts & models of famous boats built in the Howard Shipyards are exhibited.
- Charlestown State Park. IN 62 East, Charlestown Hiking trails and camping at the old army ammunition plant.
- Covered Bridge Golf Club, 12510 Covered Bridge Rd, ☎ +1 812 246-8880. Sellersburg. Fuzzy Zoeller designed 18 hole course with driving range. Annually hosts Wolf Challenge featuring pro and celebrity golfers.
- Deam Lake, 1217 Deam Lake Rd, ☎ +1 812 246-5421. Borden. 194 acre lake and forest with fishing, boating, swimming, camping and hiking.
- Hidden Creek Golf Club. Utica-Sellersburg Rd., Sellersburg. 27 holes of golf. An 18 hole championship course and a 9 hole executive course (called The Turning Point).
- Star Cruises, 501 W. Riverside Dr, ☎ +1 812 218-1565, toll-free: +1-800-289-7245. River cruises year round offering climate controlled decks with dance floors on each deck, dinner and a variety of other events.
- Twilight Golf Course, IN 62 east of IN 265. Nine hole par 3 golf course.
- Schimpff's Confectionery, 347 Spring St, ☎ +1 812 283-8367. Famous for in cinnamon red-hots. Features a soda fountain, the original tin ceiling, antique, antique memorabilia and tasty candies.
- A Nice Restaurant, 2784 Meijer Dr (off Tenth St.), ☎ +1 812 280-9160. Specializes in breakfast and lunch. The fare is down-home and simple, at a price you can afford.
- Ann's by the River, 149 Spring St, ☎ +1 812 284-2667. Located one block from the Ohio River, this bustling eatery is cafeteria style dining done well. They serve up the standard steam table meat-and-three menu items as good as any. Try their chili while you're here.
- Appleby's Cafe & Wine Bar, 201 Spring St, ☎ +1 812 283-FOOD (3663). Fine dining in a casual atmosphere. Fare ranges from award-winning chili and the "Big Steve" burger at lunch to fine dining at night. The recently added Wine Cellar offers the same fine fare and classy wine in a more casual atmosphere.
- Babby's Steakhouse, 1207 E Market Street, ☎ +1 812 288-2411. Jeffersonville. This independent-minded steakhouse prepares their steaks in all the usual sizes and configurations, but someone in the kitchen has definite opinions about seasoning and grilling. A distintive approach that is worth a visit.
- Bearno's, 700 W. Riverside Dr, ☎ +1 812 282-3125. Pizza, pasta, Italian sandwiches.
- Beef O'Brady's, 1450 Veterans Pkwy, ☎ +1 812 285-9464. Family sports pub.
- Buckhead Mountain Grill, 707 W. Riverside Dr, ☎ +1 812 284-2919. Mountain lodge atmosphere and American-style fare make this a popular destination. Large menu features meat loaf, pot pies, steak, ribs, and lighter fare for warm weather dining.
- Cracker Barrel. I-65 & IN 311, Sellersburg, Down home cooking with a country store for shopping.
- Chicago Grill & Subs, 1626 Spring St, ☎ +1 812 288-5988.
- Come Back Inn, 415 Spring St, ☎ +1 812 285-1777. This neighborhood saloon houses a family Italian spot that wouldn't be out of place in Brooklyn.
- El Paso Mexican Restaurant, 700 W. Riverside Dr, ☎ +1 812 280-0032. El Paso offers a Tex-Mex option just off the riverfront.
- Frank's Steakhouse, 520 W. 7th St, ☎ +1 812 283-3383. This neighborhood steakhouse is known for comfort and hearty meals without pomp or circumstance.
- Golden Blossom Buffet, Tenth St. & Jefferson Center Way.
- Hooters, 700 W. Riverside Dr, ☎ +1 812 218-9485. Hooters may draw crowds with its long-standing reputation as a party scene, but you'll stay for the food, an appetizing selection of soups, salads, seafood and more. They are well-known for their chicken wings.
- The Islands Cafe, 1411 Youngstown Shopping Center (10th St., 1 mile east of I-65), +1 812 285-1288.
- Jerry's Restaurant, 1510 E. Tenth St.
- Jimmy's on the River, Riverside Dr. & Spring St.
- Jolly Rogers, 850 Main St, ☎ +1 812 256-6366. Charlestown.
- Kingfish Restaurant, 601 W. Riverside Dr, ☎ +1 812 284-3474. Fried fish in a family dining setting overlooking the Ohio River and downtown Louisville make this a popular seafood restaurant.
- Kobe Japanese Steakhouse, 301 Indiana Ave, ☎ +1 812 280-8500. Kobe has an exceptional sushi bar, with skilled and friendly chefs who can be relied on to fashion fresh and tasty bites that are just about certain to please.
- Lighthouse Restaurant & Lounge, 202 Main St, ☎ +1 812 283-0077. The lighthouse has been a beacon of casual, home cooking and tavern environment. Daily specials, appetizers, chicken and fish baskets, salads and desserts round out the meun.
- Lunch Today, 590 Missouri Ave, ☎ +1 812 282-1005. Suite 100. This outfit prepares its share of soups, salads and sandwiches.
- Ma Zerellas, 949 S. Indiana Ave, ☎ +1 812 246-9517. Sellersburg. Pleasant family-run establishment. Pizza, pasta, salads and subs served for lunch and dinner every day.
- Mai's Thai Restaurant, 1411 E. 10th St, ☎ +1 812 282-0198. With a broad range of well prepared and authentic Thai dishes, Mai's is the eatery to beat among the Louisville area Thai restaurants.
- Neil & Patty's Fireside Bar & Grill, ☎ +1 812 246-5456. 7611 IN 311 (Sellersburg). Best known for the specialty seasoned fried chicken, Neil's also makes excellent pastas, steaks, seafood and salads. Homemade soups are created daily and coffee and desserts are always fresh.
- New China, 2978 E. Tenth St.
- 19th Green Pub & Grill, 1740 Williamsburg Dr (at Charlestown-New Albany Pk.), ☎ +1 812 284-9088.
- Pizza King, 1066 Kehoe Ln, ☎ +1 812 282-8286. The pizza is baked in a sturdy, clay stone oven and hand-tossed with thinner crust where the ingredients go all the way to the edge.
- Puerto Vallarta Mexican Restaurant, 125 Quartermaster Ct, ☎ +1 812 288-2022. Very good Mexican restaurant. Delicious tacos.
- Rocky's Italian Grill, 715 W. Riverside Dr (at Indiana Ave.), ☎ +1 812 282-3844. This longtime favorite earns its popularity with fine pizzas, a good selection of bottled beers and a select choice of Italian-American entrees, with a great view of the city.
- Shane's, 1004 Tenth St, ☎ +1 812 218-9769.
- Tubby's Pizza, 103 Quartermaster Ct, ☎ +1 812 288-8870. Voted Best Pizza in Clark County by Jeffersonville Evening News.
- Tumbleweed. E. Tenth St. & Meijer Dr. "The Weed" dominates the local Tex-Mex scene with colossal margaritas, gigantic burritos and spicy chili con queso. These days, diners are more likely to dig into a grilled steak and a baked potato. Offers a Southwest focus, large and varied menu and added wine list.
- Bob's Pub, 1005 W. Market, +1 812 283-8919.
- Jessi's Bar & Grill, 255 Market St, ☎ +1 812 256-0340. Charlestown.
- Mick's Lounge, 1448 Gateway Plaza, +1 812 283-8096.
- Sids Pub, 935 S. Indiana Ave, ☎ +1 812 246-8192. Sellersburg.
- Third Base Tavern, 134 Spring St, ☎ +1 812 283-4947.
Coffee & Tea
- Dbl Shotz, 1315 Spring St, ☎ +1 812 282-7000.
- Perfektion, Inc., 359 Spring St, ☎ +1 812 218-0611.
- Weezie's Cup A-Java, 116 Hometown Plaza (IN 60 at IN 311), Sellersburg, +1 812 246-9339. Not the best hours, 7-2 M-F.
- Sheraton Louisville Riverside Hotel, 700 West Riverside Drive, ☎ +1 812 284-6711. Located directly across the river from Louisville, the lobby at Sheraton Louisville Riverside Hotel features Link @ Sheraton, a connectivity portal with Internet access, web cameras and printing capabilities. The hotel includes 8,000 square feet of meeting space, including the Riverside Ballroom which is capable to accommodate 300 guests.
Most telephone numbers in Jeffersonville, as well as the rest of the Indiana side of the Louisville area, consist of +1 812 plus a seven-digit number, but the entire 812 area is now served by an overlay complex of two area codes, with +1 930 as the second. A local or in-state telephone call now requires all 10 digits of the local number be dialed (omitting just the leading +1 from a local landline call).
Signage on many established businesses may still display the original seven-digit numbers; dial 812 before these if no area code is indicated.
Clarksville, located on the other side of I-65 offers most of the areas shopping and dining. It also has the Falls of the Ohio State Park. Louisville offers major city choices for entertainment and tourist activities.
|Routes through Jeffersonville|
|Indianapolis ← Scottsburg ←||N S||→ Louisville → Bowling Green|
|New Albany ← Clarksville ← becomes ←||W E||→ END|