Jasper is a city in the Deep East region of Texas.
Jasper gained a measure of notoriety when an African-American man was dragged to his death behind a pick-up truck in a gruesome lynching in 1998. Much of the town subsequently unified to express revulsion for the crime and opposition to the racial hatred that motivated it.
- US 96 south from San Augustine or north from Kirbyville and Beaumont
- US 190, about 100 miles east of Huntsville
- Beaty-Orton House, 200 S. Main (near Sandy Creek Park), ☎ +1 409-383-6138. M-F 8AM-5PM. Historic two-story home. Donation requested.
- Sam Rayburn Powerhouse (just off Recreation Road 255), ☎ +1 409-384-5716. This sixteen story hydroelectric power plant has won awards for design.
- Sam Rayburn Reservoir. Fishing, boating.
- Sandy Creek Park and Trail (between S, Main and Marvin Hancock Dr). Open dawn to dusk. One mile loop walking/running trail, playground and covered picnic areas.
- Hamburger Depot, 283 S Wheeler St, ☎ +1 409 384-5824. Local favorite for hamburgers and all the fixin's.
- Texas Star Café, 205 N Wheeler St, ☎ +1 409 837-4444. Cheap but tasty downhome cooking.
- Holiday Inn Express, 239 East Gibson, ☎ +1 409 384-9021. Clean rooms with interior access, mini-fridge, microwave, and free internet access.
- Ramada Inn, 239 East Gibson, ☎ +1 409 384-9021. Clean rooms. Laundry service and restaurant/bar on the premises. Pets OK.
- Super 8, 2100 North Wheeler, ☎ +1 409 384-8600. Clean and relatively new. Squeamish drivers may want to pass on this one, as its parking lot exits at a rather dangerous busy intersection.
- Swann Hotel Bed and Breakfast, 250 N Main St, ☎ +1 409 489 9010. Restored wooden Victorian inn built in 1901.