Kingston upon Hull

River Hull with the Arctic Corsair moored on the left

Kingston upon Hull, or just Hull as it is usually called, is a city in Yorkshire on the northern bank of the Humber Estuary.


Early history

A settlement called Myton, although not listed in the Domesday book of 1086, existed at the confluence of the River Hull and Humber in the 11th century. In the late 12th century the monks of the nearby Meaux Abbey created the new town of Wyke, from the Scandinavian meaning creek (i.e. the River Hull). The town of Wyke would later become Hull. Both the names Myton and Wyke remain as political ward areas of the city.

With the River Hull offering a harbour for the import and export of goods, and the Humber estuary being connected to other major rivers, the town of Wyke upon Hull became established and thrived. This situation drew the attention of the town to King Edward 1 who visited, and eventually granted Kyngeston (or King's Town) upon Hull its Royal Charter on April 1st, 1299. The lay of the main roads to and from the city are the result Edward's involvement. The interest of various Kings including Henry VIII have had a bearing on what the visitor, with a little understanding, may see when visiting the city. Hull's importance as a port, and in its early years as an arsenal, at one time second only to London's arsenal, caused walls with battlements and towers to be initiated in 1327, blockhouses on the east bank of the River Hull in 1542 and a citadel, again on the east bank, in 1681. Although all these have long gone, their imprint on the old town along with the subsequent docks, can still be appreciated.

Modern history

In some ways the 20th century was the most consistently calamitous era in the long, long history of this great maritime city. From a peak in prosperity at the start of the 1900s, with industrial and mercantile might that placed it on a level with almost any other city in the land, by the last decade of the century its litany of hard luck stories had cruelly conspired to turn Hull into a nationally perceived shadow of its former self. The last hundred years were, however, a sad chapter in an epic story, and at the birth of a new century, the place Larkin called the 'lonely northern daughter' has begun to miraculously revive and stake its claim for prosperity and respect once more.

Much investment is being directed into the city, encouraged by the huge success of The Deep as a centre-piece major visitor attraction, a sprucing up of the Old Town, and new retail offers. To the visitor, the face of Hull has almost been altered beyond recognition with the redevelopment of Ferensway, and the construction of the landmark St Stephen's centre, Hull's premier shopping experience. This comprises a shopping mall with upmarket chains, a modern hotel, the newly opened Hull Truck Theatre building, and a music learning centre for young people. The visitor experience has been much improved with the redevelopment of Hull Paragon Interchange with a new bus station and refurbished railway station. New developments planned include a new footbridge over the River Hull.

Anybody who has experienced the city first-hand without any preconceived notions or bias, will tell you that Hull is unique. It is no longer isolated, as transport links with the rest of the country are more than adequate. This was not the case for hundreds of years though, and the result is a true one-off. The place has a genuine cultural identity and character of its own. It is reflected in the accent (pronounce "oh no" as "er ner" and you will have an idea), the humour, the self-effacement and spirit of its people. Hull's colourful (at times startling) but always fascinating urban fabric and history are its markers.

The flat landscape and low but often breathtaking historic buildings, give a sense of there being a massive backdrop of sky, and when combined with a view out to the brooding, bleak, mighty expanse of the Humber Estuary from the point at which it converges with the River Hull, it becomes apparent that there is something special in the location of the town.

Along with the poetry of its setting, Hull has a formidable connection with some of the most influential poets in English literature. Amongst others, Andrew Marvell was baptized in Holy Trinity Church and attended the Old Grammar School. Coventry-born poet and University of Hull Librarian Philip Larkin lived at 32 Pearson Park for most of his life, and Stevie Smith was born in Hull. In the second half of 2010, Hull is celebrating Larkin's life and verse with the Larkin25 events including poetry readings, a Larkin tourist trail and a 'Plague of Toads' sculpture trail recalling Larkin's poem, 'Toads'. A statue of Larkin will later be unveiled at Paragon Interchange.

The city has in recent years branded itself as the "Pioneering City", and this claim is backed up by a list of many firsts originating on Humberside. The technology for Liquid Crystal Display (LCD), for example, was discovered and refined at the University of Hull in the late 1960s. The city is also a UK leader in the development of broadband and telecoms technology.

In 2007 Kingston-Upon-Hull celebrated another of its numerous remarkable achievements when it commemorated the life of its greatest son William Wilberforce and celebrated his starring role in the abolition of the British slave trade which in turn changed the face of world history. There was a wide range of events across the city.

Hull has recently been nominated as UK City of Culture 2017.

Tourist information

1 Paragon St,  +44 1482 223559, e-mail: . M-Sa 10:00-17:00, Su 11:00-15:00.

Get in

By plane

Hull is served by Humberside International Airport (HUY), which is on the south bank of the Humber Estuary, about 20 to 25 minutes drive to Hull City centre via the Humber Bridge. Humberside Airport has daily scheduled flights to Aberdeen and Amsterdam and charter flights to many European airports.

The X1 express coach service (operated by Stagecoach Bus) links the airport with Hull city centre. Journey times are just over half an hour and services run hourly.

By train

Hull Paragon Interchange is in the city centre, and provides easy access between rail, coach and local bus services, all under the same roof. A taxi rank is located outside the main entrance of the station, and car rental services are available on the concourse.

Railway shed of Hull Paragon Interchange

Hull is served by eight daily Intercity train services to and from London Kings Cross. Journey times from the capital vary from between 2 hours, 30 minutes to 2 hours, 50 minutes. Most trains are operated by the city's own train operator, Hull Trains. One service in each direction, is operated by East Coast. Between direct services you can change at Doncaster station for regular (two per hour) connections to Hull.

The city is located at the end of a major route from Manchester. Hourly TransPennine Express trains operate to and from Manchester Piccadilly station stopping at Huddersfield, Leeds, Selby and Brough. Journey time from Manchester is about 2 hours, and from Leeds a little under 1 hour. Regular, quick connections from Manchester Airport are available by changing at Huddersfield (same platform, normally) or Manchester.

There is an hourly fast service to and from Sheffield via Doncaster on Northern Rail. This service calls at Meadowhall which is a large, popular shopping centre in Sheffield. An hourly local, stopping service also operates to Doncaster.

Hull is the southern terminus of the Wolds Coast Line to and from Scarborough, Bridlington, Driffield and Beverley.

A local service from York (with connections from the North and Scotland) is also available.

By car

The city is at the eastern end of the M62 (which changes to the A63 shortly before Hull), and can be easily accessed from the rest of the UK motorway network. It has good access from Lincolnshire and the south via the A15 and the Humber Bridge, and can be accessed by the A1079 from York and the North.

By bus

There is a park and ride service available from the outskirts of the city (Priory Park.)

Priory Park and Ride lies south of Hessle Road off Priory Way. Follow the signs on A15 and A63 (Clive Sullivan Way) if you are coming into Hull. The postcode is HU4 7DY. The bus number is 700. Buses run approximately every 10 to 15 minutes from 07:00 onwards, (07:30 on Saturdays.) The last service back from the city centre is at 18:44 (Monday to Friday) or 17:59 (Saturday). There are no services on Sunday. The service drops off at the Kingston Communications Stadium (and is therefore useful for match-days as parking capacity near the stadium is very limited), Hull Royal Infirmary (return fare: £1.90 per adult; £1 per child) and Hull City centre (return fare £2.40 per adult; £1.25 per child.) Season tickets are available at £8.50/week, £34.20/month (HRI) or £11.00/week, £43.00/month (City Centre) (Details correct as of January 2013)

National Express coach services operate in and out of Hull Paragon Interchange (see below 'Get around by bus'). Several of the services operate through to King George Dock to connect with ferry services through to the continent.

Stagecoach Hull X62 has buses several times a day between Leeds City Bus Station and Hull interchange.

By boat

Hull is a major port and ferry terminus for P&O Ferries sailings to and from Rotterdam in Holland and Zeebrugge in Belgium. Other routes are present within the UK. Buses run to and from the ferry terminal but when going from the city to the terminal get to the bus at least fifteen minutes early as departure times are not always on 'the dot'.

Get around

By bus

The bus station in Hull city centre has recently undergone a multi-million pound refurbishment and, along with the adjacent Paragon railway station, forms the Hull Paragon Interchange. The main entrances/exits for the station are located on Ferensway, within a short distance of the new St Stephens covered shopping street to the north, and the central core of the city to the east. Black cabs use the front (Ferensway side) of the Interchange. Private cars dropping off and collecting passengers can enter from Anlably Road. There is no parking charge for this but there are only a few spaces and waiting time is limited. There is a large 'pay and stay' car park here.

Bus concourse, Hull Paragon Interchange

Bus services in Hull are operated by East Yorkshire Motor Services and Stagecoach. Unfortunately, as with most local transport services in the UK outside of London, ticketing and fares on bus services are not integrated across operators, and you have to pay separately for each bus you ride on. Tickets are purchased from the driver when you board the bus. All information regarding bus routes, times, etc., can be gained from the passenger information boards, the Travel Centre within the station and can also be downloaded from the city council's website. The buses come and go from a concourse on the north side of the Interchange where there are some small shops from which snacks can be bought. There are a few seats at each bus stop but more at the west end of the concourse. The metal seats are cold in winter! If travelling by local bus to the Interchange to catch a train leave enough time. While buses are quite frequent the timetables at the bus stops around the city may not be accurate because a traffic hold ups along the route.

By car

The centre of Hull is compact and while there are car parks there is little point of trying to actually get round the city centre by car as distances are short, and on-road parking can be problematical. Some businesses may have some designated parking for clients or visitors. Moving around by car outside the city centre is easier.

By bicycle

Hull is one of the best cities for cycling in the UK, with extensive cycle paths, including some off road routes. National Routes 65 and 66 also converge here.

By foot

The city centre is fairly compact and mainly pedestrianised, which creates a relatively hassle-free walk around town. However, care should be taken when crossing from the southern side of the Old Town towards the marina area, as the route is intersected by Castle Street - a wide and very busy dual carriageway.

Disabled access

Hull has two schemes to help disabled people get about the city to shop and to do business. Both the organisations have reciprocal agreements so membership covers both of them. It's an excellent way for disabled people to get about the city without having to bring their own equipment into town.

Disabled transport at TravelExtra, Community Junction, Hull Paragon Interchange

TravelExtra (supported by Yorkshire Forward), Community Junction, Paragon Station, Tel: +44 1482 212832, hire electric scooters, wheelchairs and wheeled walkers. A year’s membership is £5 but a membership form has to be filled in for this. The first use of an electric scooter, wheel chair or wheeled walker is free after which there is a small daily charge. For electric scooters this is £2 which are available between 10AM and 4PM.

Shopmobility, Level 2, Princes Quay Shopping Centre, Tel: +44 1482 225686 also hire scooters and have a reciprocal agreement with TravelExtra.


Posterngate from Prince's dock

Although Hull was amongst the most heavily bombed British cities during the Second World War, the 700 years since the granting of its first charter have left it with a fascinating wealth of architectural gems. From Flemish inspired façades to beautiful domed civic buildings. From dock offices to imposing industrial heritage warehouses and mills. From the medieval cobbled charm of the old town, grand private merchant's houses and Georgian terraces to cutting edge modern design.

The Charterhouse

The Charterhouse, Old House

Tucked away in a rather inauspicious area of the city, The Charter House is on Charterhouse Lane, and lies within a small conservation area. The wealthy merchant and first mayor of Hull Sir William de la Pole founded a Priory of Carthusian monks here in 1350, with the further intention of establishing a hospital. The ‘Gods House Hospital’ was eventually established by his son, the charter being granted in 1384 when the first master was appointed. Initially housing 13 poor men and 13 poor women, and surrounded by fields through which the River Hull flowed, the institution prospered from income derived from its lands. Unfortunately this attracted the attention of Henry VIII who in 1536 closed the Priory and turned the monks out. The hospital, however, remained and over time acquired the name The Charterhouse. This name is a corruption of Chartreuse in France where the order of Monks originated from.

With Hull’s refusal to admit Charles I in 1642 and the start of the English Civil War, the town became a target for the Royalists and The Charterhouse, being outside the town walls, was demolished so a gun battery could be placed there to defend the town. In 1649 the Master, with his flock, returned to the site and The Charterhouse was rebuilt. However, neglect and decay caused this building to be pulled down in 1777 and a third one was built, the only remaining piece of the original priory being the stone over the door of the Master's House. But more was to come and although The Charterhouse survived World War II the blitz that Hull suffered caused much damage to its buildings. Since its restoration and expansion with improved living quarters the people living there now no longer represent de la Poles ‘indigent and decayed persons’ but pay for their accommodation and are called Residents. What is known as The Charter House consists of the Master's House and walled garden where Andrew Marvell is said to have played under the Mulberry tree and on the northern side of the road Old House which contains the fine Chapel with its Adams ceiling.

Public access. The Charterhouse is open to then public once a year, during Hull's Heritage Weekend. However, each Sunday there is a service in the Chapel from 10AM to 11AM which the public can attend. Further information can be had from the Master, Tel. +44 1482 329307 or the Matron, Tel. +44 1482 320026.

Queen Victoria Square

The centre of Hull, from which all of the wide shopping streets of the late 19th/early 20th century radiate. At its heart stands Queen Victoria, surrounded by the magnificent domes of The Maritime Museum and The City Hall.

Queen's Gardens

Queen's Gardens

Opened in 1930 and built on top of the old Queen's Dock. The dock was built in the late 1700s, and at 10 acres it was the largest dock in England. However, it was not until 1854 that it was named Queen's Dock after Queen Victoria. You can still make out the original shape of the dock in the walls and buildings surrounding the gardens. Some of the buildings on the south side are the old warehouses of the dock. At the east end stands the Wilberforce Monument and at the west, the old dock offices now the Maritime Museum. The gardens are sunk and contain flowerbeds, seating and a large grassy area.

Trinity Quarter

Trinity House

Created around the site of the old market square in front of Holy Trinity Church, and taking in the grand Victorian Hepworths Arcade, this is the main home in the city centre for vintage clothes, independent record shops, and alternative retail outlets. The square has benefited in recent times from sensitive restoration including seating and public art, as well as a great selection of small cafés with outdoor areas to make it a vital destination for any sightseeing tour.

Merchants Warehouse, Trinity Square

The Museum Quarter and High Street

This area runs alongside the River Hull, and was the main street at the centre of the medieval old town.

Princes Quay and Whitefriargate

Whitefriargate is the thoroughfare that links the old and new towns, and has traditionally been the main shopping high street for centuries. After decline caused by the emergence of new shopping centres, a new future is planned for the street, with the hope of it attracting cafes, bars and galleries.

The Marina and around

Developed from the old derelict Humber Dock in the early 80's, Hull Marina provides space for 270 yachts and small sailing craft in its permanent and visiting berths. The area is an enjoyable stroll with some great cafes and old pubs, and annually hosts the Sea Fever Shanty Festival.

The old Spurn Lightship

Out of the city centre

Hull Fair
Houses designed by Gilbert Scott junior



Hull lends itself well to walking, and the following highlights five walking routes around the old part of the city.

The early town was substantially walled from the River Hull at a point just south of where North Bridge now stands to the River Hull where it meets the Humber. The wall, pierced by four land gates for entry and exit, formed three sides of a ‘square’ round the old town. Until King Henry VIIIs intervention the River Hull formed the town’s major defence on east side. The pattern of roads in the old town is influenced by the wall and its gates. The Beverley Gate in what was the west wall is of some historical significance as it was here that King Charles I, who was interested in acquiring Hull’s arsenal, was barred from the town by Sir John Hotham on a rainy 23 April 1642. This action was a contributory factor in the start of the English Civil War. The development of the first docks essentially followed the line of the demolished old town wall and walking along these docks you are encompassing the old town.
Standing by the tall Wilberforce Monument at the east end of Queens Gardens (formally Queen’s Dock) you are at a point where a lock joined the River Hull to the first of Hulls docks. The lock ran under what is now Hull College, the large white building at the east end of the gardens. Opened in 1778 the dock was first known as Town Dock then the Old Dock and eventually Queen’s Dock renamed to commemorate the visit of Queen Victoria to the city in 1854. When it was built it was the largest dock in England and took much pressure off the harbour in the River Hull. The north side of the dock is slightly higher than the south as the soil dug out when excavating the dock was tipped here. At the west end of Queen’s Gardens stand the domed Dock Offices. The offices were built in 1867-71 and built in such a way as to look east along Queen's Dock and south along the other docks which allowed dock officials to see the coming and going of ships. The offices are a Victorian statement to the importance of the port of Hull.
The excavated remains of the Beverley Gate where King Charles 1 was refused entry into Hull
Walking along the centre of Queen’s Gardens towards the Dock Offices you are approximately following the line of the towns old North Walls. Looking south from the Dock Offices (now the Maritime Museum) you see Prince’s Dock. This was originally called Junction Dock, because it joined two docks, but was renamed Prince’s Dock after Prince Albert the husband of Queen Victoria. This dock opened in 1829 (decommissioned in 1968) and joined the southern most dock, Humber Dock (opened 1809, now the Marina), to Queen’s Dock. Monument Bridge (so called because the Wilberforce Monument once stood near it) crossed the lock joining Queens Dock and Prince’s Dock and some of its stanchions can be seen in the nearby excavation. The bridge (removed in 1932) opened between 30 to 40 minutes each hour for the passage of ships which was a considerable inconvenience to road users! Importantly, in the same excavated area as the bridge stanchions are the remains of the famous Beverley Gate. It was at this gate that King Charles I was refused entry into Hull, the first overt act of defiance of the English Civil War. Walking towards Prince's Dock Street, on the east side of Prince’s Dock, you pass the end of Whitefriargate . This is not the original name of this street but never the less an ancient one being named after the white robed Carmelite friars who arrived in Hull in the 13th century. At the east end of this street are the interestingly named streets of ‘Land of Green Ginger’ and ‘Bowlalley Lane’ as well as the famous old, though slightly hidden, Ye Olde White Harte pub. It is said that it was here the meeting took place in 1642 to exclude King Charles I from Hull. The buildings on the east side of Prince’s Dock are mainly old warehouses and associated shipping offices but notable frontages are Roland House and the entrance to Hull Trinity House School. Railway lines use to run along the dock side and rows of open sheds allowed the loading and unloading of ships. Princes Quay shopping centre was built partly over the dock in 1991.
Entrance to Hull Trinity House School
South of Prince’s Dock is the Marina formally called Humber Dock (opened 1809). This lies on the south side of the very busy Castle Street, part of the south orbital road which leads to, besides other things, the eastern Hull docks. The old Spurn Light Ship is moored here, entry is free. In September the Marina serves as a backdrop for Hull's famous international ‘Shanty Festival’. The Railway Dock (opened 1846) which comes off the west side of the Marina now also houses pleasure craft. Towards the southern end of the Marina, on the east side, is Humber Street. Originally this was called The Ropery as ships ropes where made here and this was the southern most street of the walled town. Soil from the excavation of the docks was used to reclaim the land south of here. Humber Street was, for many years, the centre for fruit, vegetable and flower importation into Hull. Redevelopment of this area is planned. At the end of the Marina is the lock leading to the dock Basin and the Humber. West of the Basin is a new office development built on what were the railway goods yards which were next to the Railway Dock. Close to the Basin on the east side is the Minerva pub and near to this some excellent award winning public toilets. East of this area, across the River Hull, can be seen the Deep, Hull’s famous marine attraction.
A recommended walk from here is up Queens Street, across the busy Castle Street, along Market Place turning right down Scale Lane and then left (north) up High Street. Diversions to Holy Trinity church, with some of the earliest examples of medieval brickwork in the country, and into the old town can be made and are highly recommended.
For a stranger the easiest place to start is at the east end of the Guildhall (built 1916). Facing east towards Drypool Bridge cross the road (care!) and walk past the City Hotel pub and the black and white 'half timbered' White Hart pub (1904) to the junction of Salthouse Lane and High Street. Both these pubs were listed grade II in 1994. Turning north up High Street a few new houses are past on the west side.
Blaydes House. No6 High Street
On the east side can be seen Blaydes House (circa 1760) with its Georgian portico. It is now the location of the Hull Maritime Studies Centre of the University of Hull. A period hall leads to an elegant stairway lit by an equally elegant arched rear window. In the 16 and 1700s the Blaydes were important merchants and shipbuilders who had dealings with Samuel Pepys for Admiralty work though in 1702 got into trouble when they blocked North Bridge with a ship’s ‘boltspright’ (bowsprit)! Blades staith (a Norse word meaning ‘landing place’) runs down the south side of the house and their land ran from this staith north to their dry dock behind the Dock Office further up the street.
Just a little further on the east side of the street is Haworth House (built 1887) and named after the owners but latter used in the interwar period as ‘National Works’ offices. The Haworth and Blaydes family were related by marriage. Beyond this house on the east side are two small houses, Barton House and its neighbour. The only notable feature on the west side is the small road called North Walls, the rest of the area having been redeveloped. This road follows the line on the original North Walls of the city and during the construction of the new buildings their foundations came to light. North Walls lead to Queens Gardens.
The next building on the east side is the elegant Dock Offices built in 1820. A side door on the right side of the building allowed merchants, workers etc access, the front door not being available to them! With the increase in shipping these offices moved, in 1871, to those at Queens Gardens. Behind and to the right of the Dock Offices building is the dry dock that belonged to the Blaydes and where the 400 ton Bethia (Bounty) was built in 1782. The large dry dock to the north of the Dock Offices was originally the basin to the Queens Dock lock, the Queens Dock being the other side of the Hull College, the large building to the west. The lock basin was turned into a dry dock in 1957 and was in operation into the 1990s. A plaque in the pavement and bricked lines in the road show the position of the old entrance to Queens dock. The lock gates are no longer water tight and the dock fills and empties with the tide. The dock has an example of a Scotch Derrick crane. Here High Street becomes Dock Office Row. Towards the end of Dock Office Row a house (number 3) has an ornate Georgian entrance.
At this junction of four roads the small dead end road on the right is the remains of Bridge Street which led to the old North Bridge. The large building on the left of this small road is North Bridge House, originally a warehouse or mill but now flats. Grade II listed in 1994.
Here the walk can be extended to The Charterhouse. This is only a couple of hundred metres further on and is found off Wincolmlee directly opposite the top of High Street across George Street. Turn left down Charterhouse Lane by the old Board School. For details of The Charterhouse consult See above. To continue this walk -- at the main road (George Street) turn east towards and over North Bridge. Like Drypool Bridge it is a bascule bridge. Follow the road curving left but stop on the corner. Across the road is a Pharmacy, once Annisons Funeral Directors and Livery Stables. Interestingly the horses were stabled upstairs and a walk through the arch to the yard beyond reveals the staircase on the left which the horses used. Diagonally across the road can be seen the ornate terracotta brick parapet of the first ferro-concrete bridge built in Britain in 1902. A plaque on the south west end commemorates this.
Plaque commemorating the first Ferro-concrete bridge in Britain
Follow the road round the corner for a few meters to the small dead end road on the right and walk to the east river bank. This piece of road is what is left of the eastern one to the old North Bridge. From here can be seen some timber work on the west bank which relates to the old North Bridge. Next to the bridge is the tall North Bridge House with elements of the hoisting floor, interesting hip-roof, iron finials on the ridges and attractive chimney stacks.
North Bridge House
Walking along the east river bank towards Drypool Bridge (in 1888 a wrought iron swing bridge) the gates of four old locks can be seen in the west bank as well as the backs of the high street houses. The elegant rear window of the Blaydes house can be seen. In the distance can be seen the smallish conical tower of the City Archives, the square clock tower of the Guild Hall, the crenelated tower of St Mary’s church and the metallic grey dome of the Law Courts. The path passes over the entrance to an old dry dock to the left. The dock is now silted up but interestingly the end is bow shaped and not straight. The past shipping activity along here is indicated by mooring stanchions. Towards Drypool Bridge two large buildings are evident. One is the land mark Shotwell tower where pellets are made for shot gun cartridges and on the far side of the bridge is the Ranks Clarence Flour Mills. Following his fathers death (his father being a miller) Joseph Rank started milling in Hull in 1875, his first windmill still stands on Holderness Road. Clarence Flour Mills on the side of the River Hull was rebuilt in 1952 having been destroyed by bombing in World War II. Joseph’s son, J. Arthur Rank, became the ‘movie mogul’.
At the end of the path mount the steps or ramp to Drypool Bridge. Down stream you can see the Arctic Corsair, a side winder trawler (free entry but booking necessary), the Tidal Surge Barrier (built 1980) and beyond that The Deep (opened 2002), Hulls famous ‘submarium’. The Deep is built on the site of another famous shipyard, that of the 19th century ship builder, Martin Samuelson. On Drypool Bridge turn right which brings you back to the Guildhall. Alternatively cross the road –carefully—(there is a crossing near the Guildhall) and proceed on another walk along the west bank of the River Hull. This starts next to the south side of the bridge lifting gear.
Fish Trail passing Ye Olde White Harte
The Winding House of the Patent Slipway, Victoria Dock



Along with the recent influx of investment into the regeneration of the city centre, there is evidently a concerted effort to expand and improve upon the city's retail offerings. The recently completed St Stephen's shopping centre includes over 30 large format stores such as Next, USC, Cult, Zara and H&M along with many other high street names.

The Silver Street entrance to Hepworth's Arcade



Hull is certainly not short of traditional pubs.

The Avenues (Princes and Newland Avenue) on the outskirts of the city centre, is a traditionally Bohemian area which has taken off in recent years, with masses of new restaurants, bars and cafes. A great urban mix of artists, professionals, students, fashionistas and winos rub shoulders here every night of the week.


Certain weeknights are student-only at some clubs, so you should probably check before going.

There are a number of different areas where clubs and pubs are located in groups. In the city centre there are, as referred to by locals, Old Town, New Town and George Street. The Old Town is on Lowgate which runs through to Posterngate where The Sugarmill is located. George Street is located north of Lowgate, here you will find Pozition along with Biarritz, Venue and many more. Visit George Street for the 18-30s style of bar. The New Town area is located around Carr Lane, It is based for the younger market 18-24 but has some good venues with good drinks offers and if your night has not quite ended and the other bars are closed it is worth a look, a few bars here have a 24-hour licence.





Stay safe

Efforts have been made to crack down on violent crime in the city centre, and some of the most troublesome establishments have been closed down to make way for new development. However, as with any other town in the UK, evenings on a weekend are a time when you should be particularly vigilant.

Some areas in the north of the city, predominantly Bransholme and Orchard Park are very impoverished and suffer from gang and drug related problems. These areas are best avoided, especially at night. Care should also be taken when travelling down Hessle Road and Preston Road but generally, tourists would have little reason to visit these areas anyway.

Hull can boast that in comparison to most other major cities in the UK, gun crime is virtually unheard of.

Priory Police Station, Priory Rd,  +44 845 60 60 222 (non-emergency premium rate number).

Go next

This article is issued from Wikivoyage - version of the Sunday, February 14, 2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.