On the N3 150km from Durban take any of the 3 marked exits.
The easiest N3 exit into Howick is the "Tweedie/Howick" exit - the furthest one from Durban, first one from further inland - as the road in has no "speed bumps". The other two exits lead into Howick over several of these which could be detrimental to low-slung cars!
- Howick falls. A 94 meter high waterfall in the Umgeni river. The falls and surrounding area is a National monument and there is a 2 hour hiking trail (Gorge Walk) to the pools at the base of the falls.
- Mandela Monument (Follow the R103 towards Lions River for about 10km). A commemorative plinth marking the place where Nelson Mandela was arrested on August 5, 1962, leading to his conviction and longterm prison sentence, before becoming president of South Africa
- The Howick uMngeni Museum, e-mail: email@example.com. Interesting but small.
- Umgeni Valley Nature Reserve, 1 Karkloof Road, ☎ +27 33 330-3931, fax: +27 33 330-4576, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open 8AM to 4:30PM. 700 hectares situated in the valley immediately below the Howick falls with eland, giraffe, impala, nyala, oribi, reedbuck, wildebees and zebra.
- Midmar dam (opposite side of the N3 highway about 7km from Howick). Excellent watersport, fishing, camping and a game reserve.
- Midmar Nature Reserve, ☎ +27 33 330-2067, fax: +27 33 330-5868. Open 8AM to 4:30PM daily for day visitors. Many antelope species including blesbok, reedbuck, hartebees, wildebees and zebra. Also some white rhino.
- Henley Midmar Yacht Club, ☎ +27 76 469-0857, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Enduro Motorcycle Tours. Motorcycle Tours – Guided enduro , off-road and dirt bike tours , day rides and trainings. Enduro bike rental or bring your own bike and experience some of the rural parts of the region. Man , machine and nature = adventure.
Crafts, including handwoven carpets. Check out the Visitors Book in the shops though as there are good comments here relating to pricing
- The Original Pancake Cafe, 2 Fallsview Road, ☎ +27 33 330-6377, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open 9am to 4:30pm daily. Closed on Tuesdays. The pancake shop is recommended!
- Fred's Pies (On the main road from the Tweedie turn-off from the N3 at the Greendale centre), ☎ +27 33 330-4768, e-mail: email@example.com. Serves excellent pies and some of the best fish and chips in SA.
- Red Tap Pub, 5 Harvard St, ☎ +27 33 330-8045. Serves excellent, and reasonably prices, English style pub grub.
- Afton Restaurant, cnr Somme and Belle street, ☎ +27 33 330-5256, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. For something more special, full menu meals and set-price specials.
- Stocklands Farm Bed and Breakfast, ☎ +27 33 330-5225, e-mail: email@example.com. A 150 year-old stone house with original yellowwood ceilings and doors offers accommodation to travellers from all over the world.
- The Lodge @ Currys Post, ☎ +27 33 330-6802. Check-in: 1PM, check-out: 10AM. Central to the Midlands Meander, the 40-hectare farm is a-top a hill, surrounded by pine and gum plantations, as well as natural forests, with sweeping 180-degree views of the Karkloof mountains. Homemade biscuits, chocolates and fresh flowers add a special touch in each room. Family run business.