The Greater Heights area includes some of Houston's most pleasant neighborhoods as well as a burgeoning restaurant and nightlife scene, especially on the Washington Street corridor.
Houston's first suburb, built around a streetcar line, The Heights today is centrally located compared to the far flung modern suburbs. It is a large district of gingerbread Victorian homes as well as early 20th Century bungalows.
- Art Car Museum, 140 Heights Blvd, ☎ +1 713-861-5526. Changing exhibits of art cars, art, and whatever else the curator wants to show off. Donation Only.
- Coppa Food and Wine, 5555 Washington, ☎ +1 713-426-4260. Catalan offers an Italian-influenced menu and an extensive wine list. Renowned restaurateurs Grant Cooper and Charles Clark have been wowing Houstonians and food critics alike. Reservations required.
- Rainbow Lodge, 2011 Ella Blvd, ☎ +1 713-861-8666. Raindow Lodge serves wild game dishes and seafood selections in a 100 year old log cabin perfect for the dining experience. Reservations required.
- Porch Swing Pub, 69 Heights Blvd, ☎ +1 713 880-8700. With a huge out door patio and ample seating inside, Porch Swing is a favorite among residents of The Heights to go and watch a football game with friends or to celebrate a birthday in a large crowd. The atmosphere is very laid back. And yes, there is a porch swing out front you and about three or friends can sit on and take pictures on.
- El Gran Malo, 2307 Ella Blvd., ☎ +1 832 767-3405. El Gran Malo serves gourmet tex-mex and specializes in awesome tacos and infused tequilas. Order the Texas Sea Salt Pecan Margarita. It may be the best margarita you've ever had...in your life! The patio is awesome for when the weather cooperates and the inside has rustic Mexican decor. Definitely a must if you're in town and in the area.
- Waldo's Coffee House, 1030 Heights Blvd, ☎ +1 713 769-0700. Great place to sip coffee, play a board game, or work on your laptop. They have live music on Saturday nights, too.
- Pearl Bar, 4216 Washington Ave., ☎ +1 713 868-5337. Pearl Bar's probably best known for two things which seem to almost be exact opposites. It's happening' dance floor complete with talented DJs and it's laid back out door patio where you can play a pick-up game of beer pong or challenge somebody to a hula hoop contest. One thing is certain: you're bound to have a good time at the Pearl.
- The Dubliner, 4219 Washington Ave., ☎ +1 713 861-2300. Located across the street from Pearl Bar, The Dubliner offers a laid back atmosphere with an ample juke box. It's small inside which makes it all the more intimate and it's a nice retreat from the hustle of Washington Ave.
- The Washington Avenue Drinkery, 4115 Washington Ave, ☎ +1 713 426-3617. The Drinkery is yet another great bar inside and great patio outside. Go during happy hour for great drink specials. Stay for great music and atmosphere.
- Salt Bar, 4218 Washington Ave, ☎ +1 713 868-5155. Specializing in high end margaritas, Salt is a great place to start your night...or end your night. Salt is located right next door to Pearl Bar
- The Lot, 4212 Washington Ave, ☎ +1 713 868-5688. The Lot was is located next to Pearl Bar and has an open air atmosphere. They play the latest in hip/hop, rap and R&B in addition to some reggaeton.