Hongu (本宮町 Hongū-chō) is a mountain village in Wakayama Prefecture. It technically belongs to the city of Tanabe but is 60 km distant from the city center, so is covered here as a separate destination.
It was a town located in Wakayama prefecture. On May 1, 2005 Hongū, along with the village of Ryūjin, from Hidaka District, the town of Nakahechi, and the village of Ōtō, both from Nishimuro District, was merged into the expanded city of Tanabe.
Kumano Hongu Taisha Shrine is the main destination of this area. It is one of the Kumano Sanzan and is a holy place that has been visited by many people since the Heian period.
90 minutes by bus from Shingu Station.
- Kumano Hongu Taisha (熊野本宮大社). A Shinto shrine in the mountains with a giant torii. Designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Fujiya Ryokan (川湯温泉 冨士屋), ☎ +81 735-42-0007.
- Ashita no Mori (ペンション あしたの森), ☎ +81 735-42-1525.
- Sansuikan Kawayu Midoriya (山水館 川湯みどりや), ☎ +81 735-42-1011.
- Sansuikan Kawayu Matsuya (山水館 川湯まつや), ☎ +81 735-42-1004.
- Sansuikan Kawayu Kinokuni (山水館 川湯きのくに), ☎ +81 735-42-0353.
- Kameya Ryokan (亀屋旅館), ☎ +81 735-42-0002.
Yunomine Onsen was discovered about 1,800 years ago, and it is thought to be one of the oldest hot springs in Japan.
- Ryokan Adumaya (旅館あづまや), ☎ +81 735-42-0012.
- Ryokan Yunominesou (湯の峰荘), +81 735-42-1111.
- Ryokan Yoshinoya (よしのや旅館), ☎ +81 735-42-0101.