The name of the city in Hebrew meaning "(little)sand". Holon was founded in 1940 after a merge of 5 neighborhoods.
The easiest way to get to Holon from Tel Aviv and other nearby cities is by bus. Egged and Dan operating sereval bus lines from Tel Aviv to Holon, most of them have high frequency. There is now intercity service in the city except bus lines 404 and 406 from Jerusalem but these lines only have very few trips a day each direction. The price of a trip is 5.90 ILS.
From the Central Bus Station in Tel Aviv
There is no direct bus line from inside the central bus station to Holon.
from Levinsky street: Line 89.
from HaHagana train station: Lines 71, 75, 76, 171, 271.
from Har Zion street: Lines 126, 189, 289.
From Arlozorov train station and Azrieli Center in Tel Aviv
Lines 71, 75, 76, 171, 271.
From Central Tel Aviv
from Ibn Gabirol street: Lines 89, 126, 189, 289.
from Carmel Market: Lines 3, 72, 88, 129, 172.
from Dizengoff street: Lines 72, 129, 172.
From Rishon LeZion
Lines 2, 20, 71, 72, 95, 126, 129.
From Bat Yam
Lines 11, 43, 87, 88, 99, 143.
There are 4 train stations at the western border of the city with Bat Yam. The train is fairly expensive.
- From Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and Haifa, take Routes 4 or 20 to South.
Although the city is city of nearly 190,000 inhabitants, The territory of the city is quite small and most places are reachable by foot although sometimes you will need to use a bus or a car.
Inside the city, Egged operates 3 internal bus lines(Lines 2, 4, 5).
- Holon Design Museum, 8 Pinhas Eylon st., near Holon Mall and Mediatheque, ☎ 073-2151525, fax: 03-6520331. Su Tu: 10:00 - 16:00, F: 10:00 - 14:00, Sa: 10:00 - 18:00. Only Design Museum in Israel. The museum contains temporary exhibitions from around the world. Adults: 35 ILS, Teens(11-17): 30 ILS, Children(5-10): 20 ILS..
- The Water Tower at Moledet, Ashdod st., located southern to Yamit 2000. A car is required to go to the water tower. One of two water towers that had been reserved in the city. The historic Security Road(Hebrew: דרך הביטחון) from Jaffa to Jerusalem bypassed the water tower.
- Israeli Caricature And Comics Museum, 61 Weizman st., Near the city hall, ☎ 03-6521849, fax: 03-6521867. Monday and Wednesday: 10:00 - 13:00, Tuesday and Thursday: 17:00 - 20:00, Saturday: 10:00 - 15:00. The museum is closed on Sunday and Friday. Only Comics museum in Israel. The museum contains exhibitions about Israeli comics and caricatures. 15 ILS.
- Puppet Museum, 13 David Remez st., ☎ 03-6516848. The museum contains collection of puppets from around the world. Mainly for children.
- Egged Museum (The Historic Vehicle Museum), Dan Shomron st., Inside the Egged garage, ☎ 03-9142361, , 03-9143761 fax: 03-9142364. Open for everyone at Friday from 08:00 to 12:00, On Sunday to Thursday the museum is open for groups only and by appointment. The museum contains collection of buses that were in service at Egged from the 1930's until the 1990's. Free.
- Yamit 2000, Miftarz Shlomo st., ☎ 1700-50-60-60, fax: 03-5566528. 08:30 - 17:30. One of biggest water parks in Israel and the only water park in Israel that open all year round. The water park contains 22 water slides. Yamit 2000 also contains a Spa. In winters, only the indoor slides are operated. 104 ILS.
- Azrieli Holon Center, HaRokmim st.. Azrieli Holon Center contains sereval restaurants and few pubs. The main Nightlife center of the city.
- Park Peres, Miftarz Shlomo st.. A big park. The park contains a playground for kids, a lake, rental pedal boats and La Park Shopping Center
- Israeli Children's Museum, ☎ 03-6503000. Each exhibition contains different opening hours. This museum is especially for children. one of 2 children museums in Israel. The museum contains 5 exhibits for different ages that children can also touch their displays. For people above the age of 12, Dialogue In The Dark(דיאלוג בחשיכה), Invitation For Silence(הזמנה לשקט) and Dialogue With The Time(דיאלוג עם הזמן) are exhibitions that are seperate price that not included with the rest of the museum. The entrance to the museum is located at La Park shopping center.
- Ice Peaks, Park Peres, near Jerusalem st., ☎ 03-5323008. Mo - Th: 17:30 - 20:00, F:11:00 - 23:00, Sa: 10:00 - 23:00, Closed on Sunday. Ice Skating rink
The city has a single shopping mall and some small outdoor shopping centers.
- Holon Mall, 7 Golda Meir st., ☎ 03-6514060, fax: 03-6514070. Su Tu: 09:30 - 21:30, F: 09:30 - 15:00, Sa: 20:00 - 22:30.
The only mall in Holon. Nothing special with this mall.
- La Park, inside Park Peres near the lake, ☎ 03-5588591. Open 24/7.
This outdoor shopping center contains few stores. Most of the shopping center is for restaurants and fast food. The shopping center also contains a pub.
- Silo, La Park shopping center, ☎ 053-9380488. 09:00 - 23:59. Italian food
- Caf'e Gan Sipur, 15 Mota Gur st., ☎ 03-5011596. 08:00 - 23:59. Coffee place
- Bistro 45, 45 Sokolov st., ☎ 073-7822992. Meats restaurant
- Otto, Holon Azrieli Center, ☎ 050-2844244. This pub is also a restaurant
- Oscar Wilde, Holon Azrieli Center, ☎ 03-7785550. Irish pub. Entry from age of 24 and up only.
There are no hotels in Holon but you can stay at the hotels in the cities Bat Yam and Tel Aviv that located very close to Holon.