Hof is in Upper Franconia.
Hof sometimes called Hof an der Saale, to distinguish it from other towns of that name, used to be on the very edge of West Germany, bordering both East Germany and the Czech republic. As such it enjoyed special subsidies until the fall of the wall and has entered a sort of crisis since 1990. Still it it is a lovely town that is rarely visited by casual tourists
There is a regional express (RE) from both Nuremberg and Dresden with hourly departures. as this used to be a through service, trains from both directions wait for each other in Hof.
Some Intercity buses in Germany stop in Hof.
Both A 9 and A 72 pass close by
The Stadtwerke Hof cover most of the city with a dozen bus routes. Other than that the city is not all that big and generally walkable.
- Fernweh Park, Graben 26. all day. A park where numerous people have left signs of places they visited or come from. If you donate a sign yourself, you get a free tour. free.
- Untreusee. an artificial lake (2km by 700 meters) just out of town. It can be used for swimming, fishing and all types of water activities, including cruising on small craft. A restaurant is close by as a re several other things to do
- Kletterpark Untreusee, Stelzenhofstr (at the Untreusee). from March 28 to November 8: From 10:00 (holidays and weekends) or from 13:00 (Mo-Fr.). different rope climbing parcours with different difficulties child 12€ reduced 16€ adult 20€ multiple entry and family tickets available.
As this is Franconia, Bratwurst are obviously very much part of the local cuisine. Hof however has a special feature in the Wärschtlamo (Franconian for Sausage-man, high German would be "Würstchen-Mann") who serves sausages from a mobile stand, street food style.
- Meinels Bas, Vorstadt 13, ☎ +49 92 81 14 13 66, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Also has a beer garden on site mains from 5.50 €.
- Jugendherberge Hof (Youth Hostel), Beethovenstraße 44, ☎ +49 92 81 932 77, e-mail: email@example.com. from 18€ per person.
- Hotel Strauss, Bismarckstraße 31, ☎ +49 92 81 97 20 630, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. single from 47€ double from 76€.