Hillsboro is a city in the Portland Metropolitan Area in Oregon. It contains several district such as hip and trendy Orenco in all of its high-density glory. More rural South Hillsboro, although the mayor's new building program is starting to build up this area into subdivisions. Central Hillsboro and the downtown area contains buildings dated back to the 1950s, and a few earlier examples still exist. Northern Hillsboro around the Airport is mostly industrial with no tourist attractions other than the hotels. This city has a traditional farming community background with visible roots of agriculture. Remnants of this rural past can still be seen in the rural areas outside the city. The Orenco district used to be completely filled with nurseries, although the only currently existing ones have since moved outside the city. There is also a rich Hispanic history here. Almost half of the population is Hispanic and many people speak Spanish. Schools in this area offer even offer a Dual Language program where students in grades K-12 can take half of their courses in Spanish! This city is also home to tech giant Intel, as well as having production facilities for many other Tech and software companies. This city also can serve as a home base for trips out into the countryside, or day trips to Portland.
The Blue Line of the Max light rail will bring you several places in Hillsboro for just a few dollars. Trips back to Portland's nightlife take about 30 minutes.
The only other main way to get in to Hillsboro is by road via Highway 26 west from Portland. If coming from the coast, 26 East will take you in to Hillsboro, and continues on from Hillsboro. Drive time from Portland is roughly 20-30 minutes. If visiting from the Southern part of the state and looking for a more scenic drive, you can visit the charming towns of McMinneville and Newburg while driving along 217. This route offers breathtaking countryside views and ample opportunities for visiting Vineyards.
- Hillsboro Saturday Farmers Market, 232 NE Lincoln Ave, ☎ +1 503 844 6685, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Hillsboro Farmers’ Market celebrates Washington County’s agricultural bounty by transforming downtown Hillsboro into an outdoor market as farmers congregate in Courthouse Square at Main Street to sell fresh fruits, produce, baked goods, flowers and more.
- Horning’s Fishing & Picnic Hideout. Horning’s Hideout used for weddings, concerts, family gatherings, company picnics, car camping and trout fishing. $4 per person.
- Rivals Fantasy Games (Downtown on the E Main Street). A great traditional geek store - board games, Magic, Munchkin! A great place. Although very lifeless when I was there, it seems like it has tourneys and D&D sessions. Varies.
- Costco, ☎ +1 503 681-2800. Wholesale with bulk food at cheap prices. Also equipped with a gas station, optical center and food court.
- The Streets of Tanasbourne, 19350 NW Emma Way (exit 64 from US 26, south on NW 185th Ave, right on Cornell). Mon to Sat 10AM-9PM, Sun 11AM-6PM. An open-air shopping mall in eastern Hillsboro that is home to 55 stores, including Macy's and REI.
- Amelia's Restaurant, 105 NE 4th Ave. Very good steak, freshly made tortillas, and really good overall food and service. 10$.
- Helvetia Tavern, 10275 NW Helvetia Rd, ☎ +1 503 647-5286. M-Sa 11AM-9PM. A 15-20 minute drive to a rural area west of town, but outstanding burgers, fries and onion rings. Good selection of local and national beers on tap.
- Merchant of Venice (the merch!). Great Bar, great food, great fun
- The Orenco (Orenco Manor), 1457 NE Orenco Station Pkwy, ☎ +1 503 208-5708, toll-free: +1-888-503-7094. Check-in: 3:00, check-out: 12:00.
- Larkspur Landing Hillsboro, 3133 NE Shute Rd, ☎ +1 503 681 2121, toll-free: +1 877 527 5778, fax: +1 503 693 7189, e-mail: email@example.com. Hotel offers free shuttle service and grocery shopping service. Rooms come with full kitchen and there is a weekly Social Hour.
|Routes through Hillsboro|
|Ends at N S ←||W E||→ Beaverton → Portland|
|Jct ← Forest Grove ←||W E||→ Aloha → Portland|