Border town right on the Heilongjiang River across from the Russian city Blagoveshchensk. Heihe City has a population of more than 100,000 (1.7 million in the Heihe Prefecture). The city's economy is based on selling stuff to Russians, which is helped by Heihe and Blagoveshchensk forming a free-trade zone.
The city consists of
- Aihui District (爱辉区; Àihuīqū)
- Beian City (北安市; Běi'ānshì)
- Wudalianchi City (五大连池市; Wǔdàliánchíshì)
- Xunke County (逊克县; Xùnkèxiàn)
- Nenjiang County (嫩江县; Nènjiāngxiàn)
- Sunwu County (孙吴县; Sūnwúxiàn)
Trains from Harbin take 10-13 hours and cost ¥43-234. Other trains include from Qiqihar (11h30; ¥38-133).
- Aihui History Exhibition Hall (爱辉历史陈列馆; Àihuī Lìshǐchénlièguǎn), ☎ +86 452 8211007. ¥20.
- Ancient city of Aigun.
- Wudalianchi Volcano.
- Heihe Island.
- James River National Forest Park.
- James River Rafting.
- Heihe Port.
- Swimming. Take a swim in the Heilongjiang River.
- Boating. Take a boat trip on the Heilongjiang River.
There are many shops here specialising in Russian products, so if you are into Russian dolls and kitch Russian artifacts, this is the place.
- Russian International Trade Centre. One of the best places to find Russian goods.
- Great Island International Trade Centre (On an island joined by bridge to Heihe). Hangar consisting of two floors selling food, clothes, household items, jewellery, and all kind of kitch Russian and Chinese stuff.
- Aihui Hotel, 11 Wenhua Street, Aihui District.
- Haitian Hotel, 131 Zhongyang East Main Street, Aihui District.
- Heihe International Hotel, 48 Wangsu Street (At the river bank). Considered the best hotel in town. Spacious rooms with fridge, some with views across the river to Russia. Fitness available. Chinese restaurant, bar and cafe.
- Huayuan Business Hotel (黑河华源商务酒店; Hēihé Huáyuán Shāngwùjiǔdiàn), 368 Zhongyang Street, Aihui District (爱辉区中央街368号; Àihuīqū Zhōngyāngjiē), ☎ +86 456 8276700, fax: +86 456 8276797. Check-out: 2PM. Rooms with free internet. Meeting facilities and ticket office available. Chinese restaurant and room service. Listed rates for doubles from ¥388, discounted from ¥140; breakfast ¥8.
- Yida Hotel, 51 Zhongyang East Main Street, Aihui District.
- Take a boat trip to the Russian city Blagoveshchensk (Chinese citizens do not need visa, but check first if you do). In the winter, the river is frozen and can be crossed by bus.