The town is divided in three parts. The Cros de Cagnes is the portion of the village that is near the Sea, including the little fishermen harbour. The Cagnes is the modern portion of the village. The Haut de Cagnes is the medieval origin of the Cagnes settlement and nestles around an imposing medieval castle once owned by the Grimaldi dynasty (the Royal family of Monaco). The picture perfect village has been maintained successfully over the years and offers an alternative to the concrete of the modern French Riviera.
The town is 10 minutes drive from Nice Cote Azur airport.
There is a free Navette (shuttle) that serves Haut de Cagnes and takes you around the village and into Cagnes sur Mer. Look for #44.
- La Goutte D'Eau, ☎ +33 493208123. 108 Montee de la Bourgade 06800. Family owned and run. Open daily till late apart from Mondays. A-la-carte dining but also has two pris-fixe menus that offer good value for money (at €15 or €21 for 3 courses) plus local wines.
- Le Cagnard, ☎ +33 4 93 20 73 21, fax: +33 04 93 22 06 39, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 54, Rue Sous-Barri, Haute cuisine and Michelin starred. Within the complex of the homonymous hotel. Expensive, as expected (over €100/head). Le Cagnard is no longer Michelin starred the restaurant has been closed over a year. It is currently in the process of being renovated and will reopen soon under the direction of the owner chef at Entre Cour et Jardin.
- Josy-Jo, ☎ +33 493 206876. 2, rue du Planastel. Well regarded, with a fixed (lunch) menu starting at €40 and local wines from €35/bottle.
- Fleur de Sel Montee de la Bourgade. An excellent French Provencal restaurant run by a husband and wife team. You will receive a warm welcome and excellent cuisine. Expensive.
- Jimmy's on the Place. Has been here forever and still serves up great pizzas and a full cafe style menu. Eat outside during most of the year for the beautiful view. Inexpensive.
Haute de Cagnes, having been meticulously preserved, has not been overcome by modern developments and big hotel complexes, so lodging options in that portion of town are limited to a handful of small hotels and private villa rentals.
- Le Cagnard, 54, Rue Sous-Barri, ☎ +33 4 93 20 73 21, fax: +33 04 93 22 06 39, e-mail: email@example.com. A quality (and pricey) establishment also to be found in the Relais & Châteaux guide.
- La Cagnotte, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 2, Chemin des Caucours, Small private villa for hire.
- Villa Estelle B&B. Montée de la Bourgade
- B and B La Locandiera.
- Horse racing at Cagnes-Sur-Mer