Parking in the village is limited, with provision for short term stays in the High Street. There are no car parks and the village is narrow and unsuitable for coaches. The Anchor and Hay Wagon Inns have private car parks for patrons only.
The forest way passes through Hartfield from Forest Row and Groombridge; follow the signposts to the village. Hartfield is about 3 miles from Forest Row and around 8 from East Grinstead.
As the village is fairly small a car is really not necessary.
Hartfield has some very nice views to the north across the rolling countryside, one of the best is from the churchyard.
Various 'Pooh' shops.
The Winnie the Pooh stories were written in the 1920s by A.A. Milne to entertain his son Christopher Robin Milne.
"The Enchanted Places" are settings for the Winnie the Pooh stories where young Christopher Robin's adventures actually took place.
They are situated higher up on the Ashdown Forest and remain very much as they were in those distant days. There is "Roo's Sandy Pit" which is actually an old quarry and "Galleon's Leap" (real name Gills' Lap) right on top of the Forest. Across the other side of the B2026 road that runs between Maresfield and Hartfield, is the place where the "North Pole" was found, "Pooh discovered it!" The Pole itself is no longer there but if you go on an 'expotition' to find it, you will discover a pretty little pond next door to where it was.
The little wooden bridge from which the game of Pooh-sticks was played, is along a country path which in places is rather rough and steep. The lanes nearby are unsuitable for parking. There is space for 15 cars, but no coaches, at the small Pooh car park.
It is quite a long walk for small children, at least 20 minutes from the centre of Hartfield - each way. Use of the other main Forest car parks is recommended as these give access to all the sites. In winter, wellington boots are advisable.
Take only photographs - leave only footprints!
All matter of 'Pooh' items; otherwise there are few shops as Hartfield is such a small village.
- Gift Shop small shop selling pooh items, maps, small fodd items and other odds and ends.
The nearest main shopping centre is at East Grinstead, about 6 miles to the north west.
Eat and drink
- Anchor Inn, Church Street, ☎ +44 1892 770424. Bar meals and snacks.
- Gallipot Inn, Gallipot Street, tel: +44 1892 770268 - bar meals and snacks
- Haywaggon Inn, High Street, el: +44 1892 770252 - restaurant
- The Hatch Inn ( in Coleman's Hatch) tel: +44 1342 822363
- White Horse Inn (in Holtye) tel: +44 1342 850640 - bar meals and restaurant
- Anchor Inn, Church Street, ☎ +44 1892 770424.
- Andrew & Linda Hawker, Coleman's Hatch, ☎ +44 1342 823840.
- Bolebroke Windmill, Edenbridge Road, ☎ +44 1892 770425.
- Gospel Oak, Coleman's Hatch, ☎ +44 1342 823840.
- Mary Mitchell, Windwhistle, Marsh Green, ☎ +44 1342 822365.
- Murial McAll, The Paddocks, Chuck Hatch, ☎ +44 1892 770623.