The town is small enough to walk around easily.
- The town is built around hot springs, called Hanmer Springs. For $18 you can laze in a variety of hot pools, some including smelly sulphur, some filtered and not smelly.
- There are lots walking trails going through the woods, ranging from flat and easy to steep and challenging.
- Mountain biking is very popular, with a great variety of tracks available to purchase from the Hanmer Information point.
- There are three quad biking tour companies in town available, offering trail rides through the spectacular high country landscape.
Saints Cafe, Restaurant & Bar (6 Jacks Pass Rd) is a popular local joint, serving up delicious gourmet pizzas, with exotic flavours like Moroccan Lamb and Chicken and Cranberry. They make the toppings and bases themselves, and are a sure hit for sharing. The menu is very extensive and includes an a-la-carte menu, Stonegrill menu (400 degree stone with your meal cooking as it is served to you) and kids menu too.
Saints Café, Restaurant & Bar is where all the nightlife happens. They have regular live music and almost something happening after 22:00.
Plenty of motels.
- Heritage Hanmer Springs, 1 Conical Hill Road, ☎ +64 3 315 0060. Four star hotel with self-contained 3-bedroom villas available.
- Hanmer Apartments, 4 Woodbank Rd, ☎ +64 3 315-7135, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 13:00 onwards, check-out: before 10:00. Modern, affordable, spacious, 2 bedroom luxury in 4.5 star + units. Free WI-FI, bike hire, pool towels and DVDs. Disabled access, all non-smoking, private patios, SKY TV, air-conditioned, kids play area. $159.