Húsavík is a town of approximately 2,500 inhabitants in North Iceland. It is the whale watching capital of Iceland, with whales sighted on over 95% of trips during the summer. Additionally, it has gained some fame as the (in)famous home of the Icelandic Phallological Museum.
Strætó connects Húsavík with Akureyri with a bus one to three times a day. The bus is number 79.
Like most Icelandic villages, Húsavík is easy to cover by foot. There is no public transport available.
- The Exploration Museum, Héðinsbraut 3 (In town center), ☎ +3548487600, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 9.00-17.00. The Exploration Museum is dedicated to the history of human exploration, from the early explorers to the exploration of space. The main exhibition room features photographs and artifacts from the Apollo Astronaut Training near Húsavík in 1965 and 1967. Other exhibition rooms feature the history of Viking exploration, Arctic explorers and a timeline of exploration history. ISK 900.
- Húsavík Whale Museum, Hafnarstétt 1, ☎ +354 414 2800, e-mail: email@example.com. June, July & August: 08:00 – 18:30 daily; April, May & September: 9:00 – 16:00 daily; October to March: 10:00 – 15:30 weekdays (closed between 12:00 – 13:00); Other times by arrangement (Mobile: +354 866 7020). Adults: ISK 1300.
- Húsavíkurkirkja. This wooden church built in 1907 is probably the most recognisable landmark of the town.
- The Icelandic Phallological Museum, which used to be here, has moved to Reykjavík.
Húsavík is one of the main destinations for whale watching in Iceland. The species that can be seen on the tours include blue whale, humpback whale, minke, fin whale, harbour porpoise and white-beaked dolphin. Whale watching season is April through October.
- Gentle Giants, 640 Húsavík, ☎ +354 464 1500, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. April-October. Whale watching, puffin watching, sea angling and other tours, depending on the season. From €56 / 3 hour tour (adult).
- North Sailing, ☎ +354 464 7272, fax: +354 464 2351, e-mail: email@example.com. April-October. Whale watching, puffin watching and other tours, depending on the season. From €58 / 3 hour tour (adult).
Apart from whale watching, horse riding is another good option for tourists passing through the town of Húsavík. It's a good opportunity to come across the rugged Icelandic breed and also get to do some sightseeing on horseback at the same time.
- Saltvík Hestamiðstöð. Horse riding tours are offered at Saltvík farm, about 5 km from Húsavík.
- Gamli Baukur (on the waterfront in an old wood building). They have an excellent selection of fish, soups, and salads. Downstairs is the small restaurant and upstairs a lively, little bar.
- Salka, Garðarsbraut 6 (A green house right by the main road.), ☎ +354 464 2551. Restaurant/pizzeria, where is also possible to taste puffin.
- Naustið, Naustagarður 2 (A yellow house by the harbour), ☎ +354 464 1520. Nice and simple seafood restaurant.
- Pallurinn (Behind the Gentle Giants ticket center), ☎ +354 496 1440. An interesting tent restaurant where they grill whole lambs. Very nice food with reasonable prices. Only open during the summer season.
- Húsavík guesthouse (Gistiheimili Húsavíkur), Laugarbrekka 16 (five minute walk to the harbour and one minute walk to the swimming pool), ☎ +354 463 3399. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. A friendly guesthouse, built in 1947 and renovated in 2009. Open all year. Breakfast is served from 7:30AM til 10AM. Wireless Internet access in all rooms. Double/Twin room with breakfast from €85.
- Kaldbaks-kot cottages, Kaldbakur (2 km south of Husavik town), ☎ +3544641504. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Within the town, 1200 meters from the center. Eighteen new cottages built of timber logs, 18-25 square meters in size, with all facilities (WC, shower, kitchen, TV, radio, refrigerator, kitchen utensils, toaster, stove, etc.). Big terrace. Beautiful view. Very private and convenient. From €90.
- Guesthouse Arbol, ☎ +354 464 2220, fax: +354 464 1463. Asgardsvegi 2. A small cozy guesthouse with 8 rooms near the waterfront. Prices vary from 8.800 Kr. (single bed room) during off season to 10.600Kr. (single bed room) during peak season and includes breakfast. Bathrooms are shared but very clean and towels are provided.
- Húsavík Cape Hotel (Hótel Húsavíkurhöfði), Höfði 24 (five minute walk to the harbour and two minute walk to the swimming pool), ☎ +354 463 3399. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. 16 room hotel at Húsavík Cape, with view over the town and Skjálfandi bay. Double/Twin room with breakfast from €150.
- Fosshotel Husavik, ☎ +354 464 1003. Ketilsbraut 22. A well-equipped hotel in the center. Single and double rooms, as well as superior "whale-themed" rooms. Restaurant/pizzeria and bar facilities. Internet access in the lobby.
The public library offers internet access on public terminals at reasonable rates, and a free internet connection for those traveling with laptops.