Gunsan was a major port during the Japanese occupation, and was left relatively unscathed through the Korean war. As a result there is a great deal of Japanese and history and architecture still left.
|Daily highs (°C)||5.8||7.8||12.5||18.5||23.3||26.8||29.0||27.6||26.7||21.5||13.7||3.7|
|Nightly lows (°C)||-4.3||-1.3||2.3||7.7||12.4||18.6||21.9||21.1||17.2||10.6||4.7||-4.0|
2014 Korea Meteorological Administration
Gunsan Station connects the town to Iksan and the wider Korean rail network.
- Gunsan Modern History Museum. History of the city, including its maritime heritage
- Modern Art Museum. Housed in a formar Japanese colonial bank building
- Modern History Experience Center. Former foreigner residential area during colonial times, this is now a history museum
- Dongguksa Temple (동국사). Probably the only remaining Buddhist temple in Korea that was constructed in the Japanese style.
- Gunsan Impi Station. One of Korea's oldest stations, built in 1912. Now a rail museum and sculpture gallary
- Marine Monument. Monument placed where South Korean marines held the line against overwelming communist forces during the Korean War.
- Chae Man-Sik Literature Museum. A museum to the famous Korean satirical writer during the Japanese occupation.
- Jinpo Marine Park (진포해양테마공원), 1-4 Jangmi-dong Gunsan-si, ☎ +82 63-445-4472. Military museum with ships and planes
- Saemangeum New Year Festival. The Gunsan sea wall is the world's longest, and every January 1st there is a festival to celebrate the new year here.
- Seonyudo Island (선유도), Seonyudo-ri, Okdo-myeon, Gunsan-si 전북 군산시 옥도면 선유도리 (From Gunsan Station or Gunsan Bus Terminal, take Bus 7 (1 hour intervals). Get off at Gunsan Coastal Ferry Terminal (연안여객터미널). The ferry departs departs 6-7 times a day (13-14 times during the peak summer season).), ☎ +82 63-454-3337. Seonyudo (선유도) is one of the most popular tourist destinations on the west coast during the summer. It lies in the heart of the Gogunsan-Yeoldo archipelago and consists of some 20 islands in Gunsan, Jeollabuk-do. Visitors to the island can also see Munyeodo, Jangjado, and Daejangdo nearby as there are bridges linking the four islands. The starting point of the tour is a small town named "Jinri" adjacent to Seonyudo Beach. On the island you'll find lodgings and restaurants. The town often becomes crowded during peak times in the summer, so if you want to avoid the crowds you may want to rent a bicycle and cross the bridge to Munyeodo or Jangjado or ride over to Jinwolri on the other side of Mangjubong Hill. There are a few restaurants on the island, but not that many options. The ferry costs ₩12,800 for an adult, ₩11,600 for a child, and ₩10,400 for seniors..
- Gunsan Oldam Public Market. Traditional market
- Miz Cafe. Former warehouse, and now a cafe and book shop
- Gunsan Country Club (군산컨트리클럽), ☎ +82 63-472-3333.
- Best Western Hotel, 435 Saemangeumbuk-ro Gunsan, 573-540, ☎ +82 634691234.
- W Hotel, 전라북도 군산시 소룡동 1554-9, ☎ +82 63-464-6205.
- Iksan is connected to Gunsan on the rail link