Greenfield is in Franklin County, Massachusetts. It is home to Greenfield Community College.
Franklin is located at the intersection of Interstate 91 and Route 2 (The Mohawk Trail).
- Poets Seat Tower Park, built in 1912, this sandstone lookout tower, was named after a long tradition of poets being drawn to the spot. Poets have long been inspired by the beautiful views of the Pioneer Valley from here.
- Greenfield Energy Park, +1 413-774-6051. Energy demonstrations, tree lined paths to walk and play on the kid's train. The park is a place to enjoy and learn about energy resources, natural environment, transportation alternatives, conservation practices and heritage preservation.
- Historical Society of Greenfield, corner of Church and Union Streets, 413-774-3663. There are 15 display closets, some of them lighted, plus five rooms of exhibits and a research library. Among the many exhibits tracing Greenfield's history are a large collection of industrial artifacts, period tools and objects belonging to author Mary P. Wells Smith, including her portrait, manuscripts and six of the original illustrations for her children's books, "Jolly Good Times" and "Young Puritans." Open Saturday mornings through the summer. Open by appointment.
- Covered Bridge, Eunice Williams Drive. A 95-foot structure spanning the Green River in an area called the "Pumping Station." It was built in 1972 to replace a 100-year old covered bridge that was burned by vandals. Accessible from the east by Leyden Road and from the west by Colrain Road.
- Pioneer Valley Symphony and Chorus, +1 413-773-3664. Concerts are presented at Greenfield High School.
- Stoneleigh Burnham School, +1 413-774-2771. Features the Geissler Gallery, which exhibits art work of students and guest artists throughout the school year. The school also hosts equestrian events.
- Vermont Renaissance Festival runs for 3 weekends in July in the Franklin County Fairgrounds.
Bed and Breakfasts
- Hitchcock House, 15 Congress Street, ☎ +1 413-774-7452. Private or shared baths available. Full breakfast and "bottomless" cookie jar. $90-$110/night.
- West Winds B&B, 151 Smead Hill Road, ☎ +1 413-774-4025. Private baths. Full breakfast. $115-$205/night.
|Routes through Greenfield|