Grafenwöhr was founded in the 9th century on an island between the river Creussen and Thumbach. During its early days, the town was reigned by the landgraves of Leuchtenberg. The name, Grafenwöhr, means Counts' Island. It is widely known for the United States Army military installation and training area, called Grafenwöhr Training Area (GTA), located directly south and west of the town.
- Nuremberg (IATA: NUE) less than 100 km; By road via autobahn A3, A9 and Bundesstrasse 470 or by subway U2 to Nürnberg Hauptbahnhof and train from there to Weiden (Oberpfalz) which is about 25 km away from Grafenwöhr - transfer from there to Grafenwöhr by taxi; transfer time by road is about 1 hour
- Munich (IATA: MUC) By road via autobahn A93/A9 or by bus 635 from the airport to Freising and train from Freising to Weiden (Oberpfalz) which is about 25 km away from Grafenwöhr - transfer from there to Grafenwöhr by taxi; transfer time by both road and public transportation is about 2 to 2,5 hours
Weiden (Oberpfalz) and its train station is located about 25 km away from Grafenwöhr and accessible by car; Weiden i. d. OPf. is connected to the German rail network and has direct connections to cities like Regensburg, Nuremberg or Munich
Pressath and its train station is located about 7 km away from Grafenwöhr and accessible by car; the train station has direct train connections to Weiden i. d. OPf. and Bayreuth
Grafenwöhr is accessible via the German autobahn road network. The national highway B470 is easily accessible from Grafenwöhr and leads to the autobahn A9 in western and to the autobahn A93 in eastern direction:
- A93/A9 to Munich or Regensburg
- A93/A6 to Pilsen (CZ)/Prague (CZ)
- A9 to Nuremberg and Berlin/Dresden (A4)
Renting a car is absolutely advisable for everyone who wants to get around.
The main attraction is Grafenwöhr Training Area and the historical buildings (including the military museum) inside the city centre. As a part of the training area, the Netzaberg Housing Area is a unique initiative to support a Gated community for family housing which consists of 835 build-to-lease housing units with an integrated military-construction funded village center, including an elementary and middle school, chapel, child development center, youth services center, shoppette (AAFES), and sports fields.
- military museum, ☎ Martin-Posser-street 14. +4996418501. Appointments for guided tours through the military training area are possible by calling the above mentioned telephone number.
Local specialties like Obazda, hog roast (German: Schweinebraten) and others specialties are offered in various places throughout the city of Grafenwöhr.
- Hotel Restaurant Böhm. Affordable and good quality stays are possible
Wireless LAN is offered in many places throughout the city. Above mentioned Hotel Restaurant Böhm offers free WiFi in its hotel and restaurant.