Glen Cove is one of two cities in Nassau County on Long Island located in New York. It is surrounded by the Long Island Sound to the north and The Town of Oyster Bay's villages and hamlets to the east, south, and west. The surrounding villages and hamlets are: Lattingtown, Locust Valley, Matinecock, Glen Head, and Sea Cliff.
Glen Cove is a multicultural city with a population of 26,936 as of 2009. It is a small city that provides a variety of amenities. The Matinecock Indians a Native American tribe originally founded it. Glen Cove was originally named "Moscheto." English migrants from New England used Glen Cove as a port before 1668.
A man named Joseph Carpenter, from Warwick, Rhode Island purchased about 2,000 acres of the land northwest of the Town of Oyster Bay on May 24, 1668. Later that year Mr. Carpenter admitted four co-partners into the project - three brothers, Nathaniel, Daniel, and Robert Coles, and Nicholas Simkins. These men were all residents of Oyster Bay. The five men named the settlement later spelled, Musketa Cove. In the Matinecock language means "place of rushes."
Take the Long Island Rail Road.
Take the Long Island Expressway or Northern State Parkway and follow the signs.
- Garvies Point Museum and Preserve, 50 Barry Dr (From the L.I.E. or Northern State Pkwy, exit to Glen Cove Rd., North. Take Glen Cove Rd. north. When road becomes Glen Cove Bypass, bear left at fork, and continue to last traffic light at the end of road, facing the Glen Cove Fire House. Turn right and follow directional signs.), ☎ +1 516 571-8010. Tuesday to Saturday, 10AM-4PM, Closed Sundays and Mondays and Holidays. Garvies Point Museum and Preserve is a center for research on Long Island geology and a valued resource in the study of the Island's Native American archaeology. This museum has many trails you can walk through as well at the preserve. Birthday parties and different types of workshops are offered as well. You can find more information on the website on planning events. Adults: $3.00; Children 5-12: $2.00.
- Glen Cove Municipal Golf Course, 109 Lattingtown Rd (At the Glen Cove Fire House turn right onto Brewster Street, go four blocks north-east to Dosoris Lane; turn left onto Dosoris Lane. Follow Dosoris Lane north until the very end (T intersection) and turn right onto Lattingtown Road. Travel east along Lattingtown Road about 1 mile, to the entrance of the Glen Cove Municipal Golf Course.), ☎ +1 516-676-0550. Glen Cove provides a beautiful 18 hole golf course with a beautiful water view. Both residents and non-residents are allowed to come to the course. They have a pro shop on site and a driving range. On site as well is Stanco Park that has tennis courts and a children's playground. There is also a restaurant on the property called Soundview Cafe. The Soundview has been under new ownership since 2011.
Glen Cove offers a variety of different restaurants.
- La Ginestra, 50 Forest Ave, ☎ +1 516 674-2244. La Ginestra is a casual restaurant that provides excellent Italian cuisine. They are open 7 days a week for dinner and are very accommodating. They provide a wonderful friendly staff that caters to your needs while dining.
- La Bussola Ristorante, 40 School St, ☎ +1 516 671-2100. La Bussola Ristorante offers fine Italian cuisine with timeless recipes that have been passed down through generations. The atmosphere allows diners to enjoy their experience that may be unforgettable. They provide a great staff that will cater to any of your needs.
- Delicious Restaurant and Pizzeria, 70 Forest Ave, ☎ +1 516 759-0793. Delicious is one of the best pizza places in town you must grab a slice! The Bencivenni family owns Delicious and they use their old family recipes and only the finest ingredients. The menu offers the finest dishes at the most reasonable prices. They deliver as well!
- The Downtown Cafe, 4 School St, ☎ +1 516 759-2233. The Downtown Cafe is a place where you can enjoy dining and a fun up-scale bar experience. They offer a full menu, top shelf bar, wine and martini list sure to satisfy your palate.
- Glen Cove Mansion Hotel and Conference Center, 200 Dosoris Ln, ☎ +1 516 671-6400. The Glen Cove Mansion is located on an elegant property consisting of 55 secluded and landscaped acres. The Mansion is only 30 minutes from New York City, JFK International and La Guardia Airports. They offer 29,000 square feet of event and meeting space. They have 27 dedicated conference rooms accommodating from 10 to 280 guests, advanced meeting technology, an executive business center and conference concierge services. Wireless Internet access is provided as well throughout the hotel. They provide a complete fitness and recreational facilities, including a sauna, steam and massage rooms, indoor pool and whirlpool, garden swimming pool, racquetball courts, lighted tennis courts, jogging trail and a sports field, and the local golf course is available nearby. The Mansion has a lot to offer and the one and only hotel in the city that can provide the most for you.
|Routes through Glen Cove|
|Mineola ← Albertson ←||W E||→ Oyster Bay → END|