Gainesville is a city in the state of Texas. It is the county seat of Cooke County.
Gainesville is on I-35 near the Oklahoma border, about 30 minutes north of Denton, and US Highway 82, 30 minutes east of Sherman. It is also served by Amtrak's Heartland Flier rail line. The Heartland Flier goes between Fort Worth and Oklahoma City once each day in both directions, south in the morning and north in the afternoon.
- Frank Buck Zoo, California Street (ín Leonard Park). One of the better small-town zoos in the state.
- Historic Victorian homes. On brick-paved Denton, Lindsay, and Church streets.
- Scenic drives. On Farm and Market roads 372, 678, 902 east and south of town. These roads give some great panoramic views of the rolling Cross Timbers landscape.
- The Gainesville Factory Shops, I-35. A large factory outlet mall which attracts many shoppers from the DFW Metroplex and other area communities.
- Game Stop.
- Super Plaza, 811 U.S. 82, ☎ +1 940 612-3400. A market designed with Hispanic culture.
- Backstage Cafe, 204 East California St, ☎ +1 940 612-2000. Soups, sandwiches, and daily specials.
- Catfish Louie's, 1825 E Highway 82, ☎ +1 940 665-2779.
- Dieter Brothers Restaurant, 401 J M Lindsay Blvd. Texas-style barbecue.
- Gainesville Corral, 903 U.S. 82, ☎ +1 940 665-4134.
- Hungry Hippo Sub Shop, 112 North Commerce St. This hole-in-the-wall shop sells decent made-to-order sandwiches.
- Main Street Pub & Eatery, 216 West Main St, ☎ +1 940 668-6883. Good home-style dinner spot with a lot of local flavor. Try the trout.
- Los Mariachis Mexican Restaurant, 319 North Commerce St, ☎ +1 940 612-1721. 11AM-9PM. What it lacks in timely service, it makes up for in flavor.
- Luigi's Italian Restaurant, 2217 N Interstate 35, ☎ +1 940 612-4948. Great Italian cuisine made fresh, accompanied by wonderful bread.
- Neu Ranch House, 1825 U.S. 82, ☎ +1 940 665-6789.
- Sarah's On the Square, 115 West California St, ☎ +1 940 612-4782. Great homestyle cooking, including good soups and burgers. Try the pecan-crusted chicken.
|Routes through Gainesville|
|Oklahoma City ← Ardmore ←||N S||→ Fort Worth → END|
|Oklahoma City ← Ardmore ←||N S||→ Denton → Dallas/Fort Worth|
|Wichita Falls ← Muenster ←||W E||→ Sherman → Texarkana|