Formosa (Brazil)

Formosa ("Beautiful") is a city in the state of Goiás, in Central West Brazil

Understand

Itiquira Falls

The first residents of the city of Formosa were the Paleo-Indians or paleoamerindios, who left cave paintings and rock recordings, dating back 4,500 years ago in the Stone Lapa and the Archaeological Site of Bisnau, located between the districts of Bezerra and JK.

The present Formosa city emerged in the mid-eighteenth century, when Goiás belonged to the captaincy of São Paulo. It was formed by former residents of the Arraial of St. Anthony, in the valley of the Paraná river, who fled their village after a strong malaria epidemic hit the region. Afraid of the disease, drovers and traders who came from Bahia and Minas Gerais camped in the area where Formosa is located today.

The town was named in honor Arraial dos Couros after the travellers who camped in leather tents that they brought to trade. The creation of the municipality of Formosa was on August 1, 1843.

The Cruls Commission trip came to the Central Plateau in 1892, from Uberaba heading into Pirenópolis. A team toured Corumbá, Santa Luzia (Luziânia) and Mestre d'Armas (Planaltina), arriving in Formosa on September 14, 1892. A team led by Mr. Luiz Cruls followed another path, straight to Formosa, and arrived earlier on August 23. On Sept. 15, the whole party left Formosa toward Mestre d'Armas, following the same route left by Viscount of Porto Seguro. The result of this trip was the demarcation of the Cruls quad, within which the new capital was built and inaugurated in 21 April 1960.

Get in

By plane

By car

Get around

By car

Access to some attractions may become problematic in the rainy season.

See

Outside the city

Waterfalls

Bisnau Waterfall
Bisnau archeological site
Santana

Caves

Eat

Sleep

Camping sites

Hotels

Go next

This article is issued from Wikivoyage - version of the Friday, March 13, 2015. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.