Ferries in the Mediterranean
The Mediterranean Sea is sub-divided into a number of smaller seas, each with their own designation (from west to east). The ferries are - as far as possible - ordered by sea which they traverse.
Please add website links, sailing frequencies, sailing durations, discounts. As the purpose of this page is to provide travellers who want to cross the Med with info, while adding, focus on international lines, instead of meticulously adding small ferries connecting island to the mainland.
Travellers owning a RailPlus pass are in some ferry lines eligible for a 10-20% discount on the fare price. See for example and
- You can arrive to Barcelona by boat from the Balearic Islands, from Genoa and from Rome. For further information, check http://www.gnv.it and http://www.grimaldi-ferries.com.
- The cheapest cabine-less ticket is cheaper then the bus Rome - Barcelona.
- From Genoa: Grandi Navi Veloci http://www.gnv.it/ crosses to Barcelona weekly, and takes about eighteen hours. It also offers a weekly crossing to Tangiers, which takes around forty-six.
- Other direct ferry routes from Genoa are; Bastia (Corsica), Olbia, Palermo (Italy) and Porto Torres. It is best to book early to avoid over-booking on the ferries.
- From Civitavecchia (near Rome)
- To Barcelona (Spain). You get 20% discount with the RailPlus card. Takes approx. 22h.
- To Golfo Aranci (Sardinia), Corsica & Sardinia Ferries
- To Olbia (Sardinia), Moby Lines, Tirrenia or Snav
- To Palermo (Sicily), Grandi Navi Veloci or Snav
- To Porto Torres (Sardinia), Grimaldi Lines
- To Toulon (France), GLD Lines
- To Tunis, Grandi Navi Veloci / Grimaldi Ferries
For detailed info of all these lines, see Guide to Mediterranean Ferries
- From Durrës
- The coastal town of Neum does not seem to be served by any ferry line. Nearest larger ports are Split and Dubrovnik, both in Croatia.
- From Pula
- To Venezia during summer
- From Rijeka
- From Split
- From Dubrovnik
- To Bari (Italy)
- Numerous local lines
- From Zadar
- To Ancona (Italy)
- From Ploče
- local lines.
- From Bar it is possible to take a ferry to
- From Kotor it is possible to take a ferry to
- Bari (Italy) - weekly, only in the summer
- From Ancona to:
- From Pescara to
- From Venice to
- From Patras
Sea of Marmara
The Sea of Marmara is between the Aegean and Black Sea. Lots of ferry and fast ferry lines connect northern and southern coasts of Marmara, some examples are:
- From Istanbul to Princes' Islands, Yalova, Guzelyali (near Bursa), Mudanya (also near Bursa), Marmara Islands, and Bandirma
- From Tekirdağ to Marmara Islands, Erdek, Bandirma, and Gemlik
- From Silivri to Marmara Islands
- From Şarköy to Marmara Islands
The Cilician Sea is between Turkey and Cyprus.
- From Cyprus
- UKR Ferry (this shipping company provides passenger transportation on its routes), ☎ +380 (482) 34-40-59, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Odessa Ilyichevsk to Poti/Batumi
- Navibulgar (Navigation Maritime Bulgare) German-Bulgarian owned company has two vessels and according to their website they provide passenger transportation between Varna - Odessa Ilichevsk - Poti/Batumi - Ilichevsk - Varna .
- From Russian port of Sochi ferries go to Trabzon (Turkey) and Batumi (but you have to be a citizen of Georgia, Russia or CIS to board this one). Website of the port in Sochi