- For other places with the same name, see Fargo (disambiguation).
Fargo is a modern city of just over 100,000 in the Red River Valley of North Dakota. Many people relate Fargo to the eponymous 1996 Coen Brothers movie starring Oscar-winner Frances McDormand and William H. Macy, though none of the movie was filmed in Fargo. Neighboring Moorhead, Minnesota is across the river from Fargo and the area is generally referred to as Fargo-Moorhead. Fargo is the seat of Cass County.
|Daily highs (°F)||15||21||34||54||69||77||83||81||70||57||36||21|
|Nightly lows (°F)||-3||3||17||32||44||54||59||57||46||35||19||4|
Fargo's Hector International Airport (IATA: FAR) is served by Allegiant, American, Delta, and United with flights to Chicago, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Orlando, Phoenix, and Salt Lake City.
- Amtrak, 420 4th St N. Station hours 11PM-6:30AM daily. Amtrak serves the city with its Empire Builder line, with one train east and one train west every day. Departure times in both directions are in the middle of the night. There are several restaurants near the station, and during the summer you may eat outside overlooking the train tracks. The Empire Builder goes from Seattle/Portland to Chicago.
- Jefferson Lines, 855 45th St S, ☎ +1 701 293-1222. Jefferson Lines provides bus service to Fargo from cities in North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Montana.
Fargo is located at the intersection of Interstate Highways 29 and 94. It's about 230 miles northwest of the Twin Cities on I-94, about a three-hour and twenty minute drive.
Matbus Bus transportation is available to most parts of the city. They are phasing out the tokens, so if you want a souvenir, get one now. Parking is plentiful, even on the main thoroughfares in downtown areas.
Two interesting landmarks in the surrounding are the KVLY-TV mast and the KXJB-TV mast, which were the tallest towers on earth until the construction of the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.
- FargoDome, 1800 N University Dr, ☎ +1 701 241-9100. Offers athletic events, broadway shows, music concerts. During some concerts 1/4 of the population fits inside the Fargodome.
- Roger Maris Museum, 3902 13th Ave (West Acres Shopping Center (at I-29)). Open year-round. Admission is free.
- Fargo Theatre, 314 Broadway, ☎ +1 701 239-8385. The Fargo Theater show mostly independent films, on actual film, not digital. Inside the theatre there is a statue of Marge Olmstead Gunderson, of the movie Fargo carved out of wood, also inside on the stage is a functional Wurlitzer pipe organ that is occasionally used to score silent films.
- North Dakota State University.
- Plains Art Museum, 704 First Ave, ☎ +1 701 232-3821.
- Fargo Air Museum, 1609 19th Ave N, ☎ +1 701-293-8043. Open year round.
- Children's Museum, 1201 28th Ave (Yunker Farm).
- Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks (Newman Outdoor Field, NDSU campus). Minor league baseball. While you are there, check out the Maury Wills Museum.
- Horse Racing, 5180 19th Ave N (North Dakota Horse Park), ☎ +1 701 277-8027. Season is from early August to mid-September.
- Red River Zoo, 4220 21st Ave SW. Open May to October, has red pandas.
- Cass County Pioneer Village, Ayr, ☎ +1 701 668-2991, fax: +1 701-668-2249. Antique car collection, old barber shop, school, ice cream parlor, bank, gas station, depot and cook shack. Open by appointment, May–August.
- Celebrity Walk of Fame, 2001 44th St. SW (Exit 348 Interstate 94), ☎ +1 701 282-3653. The walk where more than 100 celebrities have left their marks in cement. Stars from music, the arts, politics, and sports, like: Garth Brooks, Neil Diamond, KISS, Maury Wills, Debbie Reynolds, and Governor Jesse Ventura, have left their signatures, handprints and footprints. No fee.
- Fargo Thunder Road. Go-kart racing, batting cages, adventure golf. Open May–September.
- Vietnam Week, 1609 19th Avenue North. (4/30/2005-5/8/2005) dedicated to Vietnam era.
- Life's Options (Fargodome). (5/6/2005-5/7/2005) Entertainment for mature adults.
- Scheels Fargo Marathon (Civic Center). (5/14/2005)
Fargo has many interesting boutique and specialty style shops downtown.
- West Acres. Fargo shopping means the million square foot West Acres, featuring Sears, JC Penney and Macy's plus a hundred other stores. During and post construction West Acres was colloquially referred to by residents as "Wasted Acres" as it was build on farm land.
- Zandbroz Variety. Has an eclectic collection of books and trinkets, including a fargo memorabilia.
- Ristreto Coffee & Tea, 5050 13th Ave S (near West Acres). Locally owned Ristreto Coffee & Tea serves Fair Trade/organic coffee, tea, frappes, smoothies, Italian sodas, gelato, and pastries quickly, consistently, and exquisitely. Free wireless Internet access is available. No extra charge for Credit/Debit card purchases!
- Babb's Seattle Coffee House. A fantastic independent coffee shop located across the street from the Fargo Theater downtown. Credit cards are accepted for a $0.25 surcharge.
- Grand Junction. East Coast Style Subs serves hot subs grilled fresh right in front of you. A local favorite. Try the Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich, very delicious.
- Boppa's Bagels, 3051 25th St S # O, ☎ +1 701 241-7800. Boppa's Bagels makes wonderful bagels, of note are their speciality bagels, that are also available at some coffee shops around the city.
- Passage to India, 855 45th St, ☎ +1 701-281-0277. An excellent Indian buffet place. A flavourful and delightful selection from soup to dessert is available.
- Santa Lucia. Offers excellent Greek and Italian food.
- The HoDo Restaurant (Hotel Donaldson). An elegant but unpretentious restaurant.
- Monte's Downtown. A fantastic and modern upscale restaurant.
- The Bismark, 6th Ave. and Broadway. The PBR is always cold, all the whiskey drinks are doubles, and pull tabs litter the dirty floor that is inexplicably emblazoned with the New York Yankees logo. This downtown Fargo watering hole is Fargo's best dive bar. Black jack tables, off-sale liquor, and pinball are available.
- Dempsey's Public House, 226 Broadway. Fargo's only traditional Irish pub. Upstairs of Dempsey's is The Aquarium, a live music venue featuring bands of every musical style.
- HoDo. The Hotel Donaldson bar featuring pub food and tapas-style dishes as well as beers and ales on tap.
Great variety of hotels and motels ranging from budget to luxury. Major national chains like Motel 6, Comfort Inn, Best Western, Howard Johnson's, Ramada, Radisson, Courtyard by Marriott, and Travelodge all have Fargo locations.
In addition, you may rent rooms from $300 per month or less. There are signs everywhere and some interesting residential hotels scattered about.
- Airport/Dome Days Inn, ☎ +1 701 232-0000, toll-free: +1-800-329-7466.
- Chez Susanne, ☎ +1 701 293-9023, toll-free: +1-866-787-2663.
- C'Mon Inn, ☎ +1 701 277-9944, toll-free: +1-800-334-1570.
- Flying J Inn, ☎ +1 701 282-8473, toll-free: +1-800-845-1311.
- Lindenwood Park Campground, ☎ +1 701 232-3987.
- Motel 75, ☎ +1 701 232-1321, toll-free: +1-800-828-5962.
- Microtel Inn & Suites Fargo, 12th Ave, ☎ +1 701 281-2109.
- AmericInn Lodge and Suites, ☎ +1 701 234-9946.
- Best Western Doublewood Inn, ☎ +1 701 235-3333, toll-free: +1-800-433-3235.
- Best Western Kelly Inn, ☎ +1 701 282-2146, toll-free: +1-800-635-3559.
- Comfort Inn East, ☎ +1 701 280-9666, toll-free: +1-800-228-5150.
- Comfort Inn West, ☎ +1 701 282-9596, toll-free: +1-800-228-5150.
- Comfort Suites, ☎ +1 701 237-5911.
- Country Inn & Suites, ☎ +1 701 234-0565.
- Econo Lodge, ☎ +1 701 232-3412, toll-free: +1-800-553-2666.
- Expressway Inn, ☎ +1 701 235-3141, toll-free: +1-800-437-0044.
- Fairfield Inn by Marriott, ☎ +1 701 281-0494, toll-free: +1-800-228-2800.
- Hampton Inn, ☎ +1 701 235-5566.
- Holiday Inn Express, ☎ +1 701 282-2000.
- Holiday Inn, ☎ +1 701 282-2700, toll-free: +1-877-282-2700.
- Howard Johnson Inn Downtown, ☎ +1 701 232-8850, toll-free: +1-888-232-8850.
- Kelly Inn, ☎ +1 701 277-8821, toll-free: +1-800-635-3559.
- MainStay Suites, ☎ +1 701 277-4627.
- Microtel Inn & Suites, ☎ +1 701 281-2109, toll-free: +1-888-771-7171.
- Motel 6, ☎ +1 701 232-9251, toll-free: +1-800-466-8356.
- Red River Lodge, ☎ +1 701 282-9100, toll-free: +1-800-843-7663.
- Rheault Farm, ☎ +1 701 241-1350.
- Rodeway Inn, ☎ +1 701 239-8022.
- Scandia Hotel, ☎ +1 701 232-2661, toll-free: +1-800-223-2913.
- Select Inn, ☎ +1 701 282-6300, toll-free: +1-800-641-1000.
- Sleep Inn, ☎ +1 701 281-8240, toll-free: +1-800-905-7533.
- Super 8 Motel & Suites, ☎ +1 701 232-9202.
- Wingate Inn, ☎ +1 701 281-9133, toll-free: +1-800-228-1000.
- Hotel Donaldson, 101 Broadway, ☎ +1 701-478-1000. A beautiful experience. The Donaldson has only 17 rooms, each featuring original works by a Plains artist. It was immaculately renovated in 2003. Room decor is modern. Amenities include flat screen cable TV, rooftop spa and high speed internet access. Outstanding personal service includes complimentary gourmet breakfast bar in the morning and wine and cheese bar in the early evening.
- La Maison des Papillons B&B, ☎ +1 701 232-2041, toll-free: +1-888-273-3380.
- Radisson Hotel Fargo, ☎ +1 701 232-7363, toll-free: +1-800-333-3333.
- Ramada Plaza Suites & Conference Center, ☎ +1 701 277-9000.
Fargo is a safe city, with little violent crime, however, use common sense especially when it comes to personal property, just as you would anywhere else. The only area in which a person would need to be on the look-out is downtown on the weekends, especially during the school year. With the many colleges and bars it makes for an unpredictable experience.
There is free wireless internet access in the food court at the West Acres Shopping Center.
Most coffee shops and even a few bars also offer free wireless internet access.
- High Plains Reader The source for what is happening in the city, an alternative newspaper that from the start was doomed to fail due to the small population of the city, but has since lasted over 10 years and remains as strong as ever. Free.
- KNDS Radio for Everyone. A collaborative university and community radio station, that thanks to the extreme flatness of Fargo can broadcast about the whole metro area on a Low Power FM Dial.
|Routes through Fargo|
|Minot ← Grand Forks ←||W E||→ Detroit Lakes → St. Paul|
|Grand Forks ← Argusville ←||N S||→ Oxbow → Sioux Falls|
|Bismarck/Minot ← West Fargo ←||W E||→ Moorhead → Minneapolis|
|END ← West Fargo ←||W E||→ Moorhead → St. Paul|