Fairmont, also known as The City of Lakes, is a small city in Martin County, Southern Minnesota. Fairmont is the county seat and as of the 2000 census, there were 10,889 people residing in the city.
Fairmont is located on I-90, about halfway between Chicago and the Black Hills. Take Interstate Exit 99 or Interstate Exit 102 which exits to Minnesota Highway 15.
- Sioux Falls Regional Airport (Joe Foss Field) is about 120 miles west on I-90, in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
The only form of public transportation is the Martin County Express..
Built in 1901, located on Downtown Plaza, the Opera House has been completely restored. Listed in the National Registry of Historic Sites.
- Red Rock Center For The Arts, 222 East Blue Earth Avenue, ☎ +1 507-235-9262. The Red Rock Center For The Arts was originally the First Church of Christ Scientist which was formally organized in Fairmont on October 1, 1891. Finished in 1898, the building was designed by prominent Minnesota architect Harry W. Jones and is an excellent example of Richardson Romanesque style of architecture. The building was constructed of massive Sioux quartzite (red rock) blocks which were quarried in southwest Minnesota. The red stone was combined with contrasting buff colored limestone for a polychromatic effect. The three gables at the top of the building each showcase three small arched stained glass windows while the main level of the building features 19 restored stained glass windows. The cornerstone came from Concord, New Hampshire, and contains many artifacts of Christian Science teaching and the local church history. The Red Rock Center is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been recognized by the Minnesota Preservation Alliance for saving and restoring this historic architectural treasure.
- Martin County Courthouse, 201 Lake Avenue, ☎ +1 507-238-3126. Open to the public. Construction started in April, 1906, with the dedication held on December 16, 1907. The first story is built of Marquette raindrop sandstone from Michigan. Second and third stories are built of Buff-Bedford limestone from Indiana. The building is classical in architecture. It is fireproof throughout. The dome extends 58 feet above the roof, making it 108 feet from the ground. The courthouse is located on the site of Old Fort Fairmount, built in 1862 at the time of the Dakota (Sioux) Uprising. Listed in the National Registry
- Heritage Acres, 827 Lake Avenue. Agriculture Interpretive Center, along the west shore of Lake Sisseton. A walk through, participatory experience of the heritage of the Midwest.
- Singing Oak Indian Legend Marker at Sylvania Park, Lake Avenue.
- Chubb House, 209 Lake Avenue. In 1866 Dr. Orville Chubb came to Martin County and built this, the oldest house in Fairmont. He is credited with founding the village of Fairmont.
- Amber Lake Park North Side of Amber Lake. Picnic Tables, Shelter House, Barbecue Grates, Playground, Flush Toilets, Fishing, Boat Access, Dock, Handicapped Accessible
- Cedar Creek Park West Side of Amber Lake. Picnic Tables, Shelter House, Flush Toilets, Nature Hiking Trails, Fishing, Dock, 36-hole Disc Golf, Biking, Hiking, Walking, and Cross-Country Skiing
- Gomsrud Park Between Budd and Hall Lake. Picnic Tables, Shelter House, Barbecue Grates, Playground, Flush Toilets, Fishing, Boat Access, Dock, Swimming Beach, Volleyball, Bath House, and is Handicapped Accessible.
- Lincoln Park East side of Lake George. Picnic Tables, Shelter House, Playground, Flush Toilets, Fishing, Boat Access, Dock, Holiday Lights, and is Handicapped Accessible. Within the park is the Livingston Log Cabin. Built by William Robert Livingston who came, with his wife, to Martin County in 1866. They settle in Silver Lake Township and named their homestead "Tall Oak." In 1953 the cabin was moved to Lincoln Park.
- Sylvania Park East Side of Lake Sisseton. Picnic Tables, Shelter House, Playground, Flush Toilet, Fishing, Dock, Handicapped Accessible, and Band Shell.
- Veterans Park East of Downtown. Picnic Tables, Playground, Tennis Courts, and Basketball Courts.
- Ward Park East Side of Lake Sisseton. Picnic Tables, Shelter House, Playground, Flush Toilets, Fishing, Boat Access, Dock, Swimming Beach, Handicapped Accessible, and Holiday Lights.
- Fairmont Raceway. Martin County Fairgrounds, 1300 North Bixby Road, 507-235-6996. Every Friday night Apr.-Aug.
- I-90 Motocross I-90 Exit #87, North on Highway 4, 507-639-3972. Course open for practice.
- Fairmont Martins High School Varsity Diamonds, 507-238-9641.
- Sisseton Lake Walking/Biking Trail Begins North end of Sisseton Lake on Lake Avenue
- Boat House Sport and Tackle, 905 Lake Avenue, ☎ +1 507-235-6931. Boat and Pontoon Rentals.
- Fishing Pier and Boat Ramp locations
- Amber Lake - Amber Lake Park
- Budd Lake - Gomsrud Park
- Hall Lake - Gomsrud Park
- Lake George - Ida Street
- Sisseton Lake - Ward Park
- Tee Box - Simulated Golf, 617 South State Street, ☎ +1 507-235-5004. 2 Simulators and 6 Courses.
- Skate Park Margaret Street
- Soccer Fields 1933 South Prairie Avenue
- Snowmobiling Trails. Over 100 miles of groomed trails in the Fairmont area. Maps available at the Fairmont Area Chamber of Commerce, Fairmont Convention and Visitors Bureau, local convenience stores, and motels.
- Swimming Beaches Gomsrud and Ward Parks.
- Fairmont Shooting Complex, 1300 North Bixby Road. Trap and Skeet.
- 4th of July Music Festival July 4th, Heritage Acres, 507 Lake Avenue. Bluegrass music, demonstrations, antique displays, and food at Heritage Acres.
- 4th of July Spectacular Fireworks July 4th. These spectacular fireworks are held over beautiful Lake Sisseton at 10PM.
- Community Band Concerts Sylvania Park Band Shell. Tuesday Evenings June - July 8PM
- Fairmont Glows. From the Mid November to January 1st. Visit Ward or Lincoln Park to view the "GLOWS" lighting during the holiday season.
- Friday’s In The Park Citizen's Park, Downtown Fairmont. Every Friday June - August. 11:45AM - 1PM
- Fairmont Raceway – Stock Cars, Modifieds, Hobby Stocks, Hornets. Every Friday night April - August. Hot Laps begin at 7PM Martin County Fairgrounds, 1300 Bixby Road. 507-235-6996.
- Farmers Market. July - October. Monday's 2:30PM - 6PM at Kmart. Wednesday's 7AM - 10AM at Ward Park. Saturday's 8AM - 12PM at Kmart.
- JCPenney. Five Lakes Center, 222 South State Street, 507-238-4274
- Downtown Galleria 111 Downtown Plaza. Featuring antiques, primitives, beaded jewelry, florals, pottery, ceramics, hand-made soaps, candles, doilies, exotic wooden bowels, pen sets, planters, and stained glass, all created locally.
- Good News Bookstore, 113 East 3rd Street. Inspirational books, gifts, music, music books, cards, and home decor.
- On the Wall 85 Downtown Plaza. Custom matting and framing.
- Picture This! Scrap That! 115 Downtown Plaza. Scrapbook and card making supplies.
- Sovell Jewelry 113 Downtown Plaza. Sale and repair of jewelry and watches.
- Boat House Sport and Tackle, 905 Lake Avenue, ☎ +1 507-235-6931. Fishing supplies.
- Master Sports Bait and Tackle, 1520 Albion Avenue, ☎ +1 507-235-5224. Fishing supplies.
- Babb's BBQ Food Stand, Corner of State Street and Tilden.
- Lake Sisseton Saloon, 501 Lake Ave., ☎ +1 507 238-1775. New owners - now called Marina Lodge
- Sirloin House, 2321 Albion Ave., ☎ +1 507 235-3856. New owners - now called Serenades
- Budget Inn, 1122 North State Street, ☎ +1 507-235-3373. Continental Breakfast, Non-Smoking, Pets, and Swimming Pool.
- Comfort Inn, ☎ +1 507-238-5444. Jct. Highway 15 and I-90. Continental Breakfast, Handicap Accessible, Non-Smoking, Pets, Swimming Pool, and Suites
- Highland Court, 1245 Lake Avenue, ☎ +1 507-235-6686. Non-Smoking, Pets, and Suites.
- Holiday Inn, ☎ +1 507-238-4771. Jct. Highway 15 and I-90. Handicap Accessible, Meeting Room, Non-Smoking, Pets, Restaurant and Bar, Swimming Pool, and Suites.
- Super 8, ☎ +1 507-238-9444. Jct. Highway 15 and I-90. Continental Brekafast, Handicap Accessible, Pets, and Non-Smoking
- Mankato, MN is less than one hour northeast.
- Rochester, MN is a two hour drive east on I-90.
- Iowa Great Lakes/Lake Okoboji, IA is 1.5 hours southwest.