Fairfield is the county seat of Jefferson County in Southeast Iowa. It is a small town of about 10,000 people in the Heartland of America. The town of Mount Pleasant is 22 miles to the east and Ottumwa is 25 miles to the west.
- Watch Channel 9 - Fairfield Public Access Community Television
- Listen to KRUU-LP, The Voice of Fairfield to get some sense of what's going on around town, and the kind of things people listen to and talk about.
- The Domes at Maharishi University of Management (MUM) in Northern Fairfield.
- Chatauqua Park with Fresbie golf and nice paved loop trail
- Jefferson County Park - great trails, summer & winter for x-country skiing
- The Art Walk. Takes place on the square every first Friday of the month.
- FairFest. Three days of jazz, blues, country music live on the big stage, food, drinks by local vendors. Last weekend in June. Music venues in the convention center, on the big stage in front of the convention center, local coffee shops & restaurants.
- Home of the Maharishi University of Management and the Maharishi School for the Age of Enlightenment.
- Local media: The Source (monthly) and The Weekly Reader (weekly) have current listings for classes, workshops, music,
art shows, theater, dance, and everything else that's going on here as well as around the state.
- Fairfield has more restaurants per capita than San Francisco, so be ready to see more Thai and Indian restaurants than your Iowan local diners.
- The Hy-Vee Deli is so so. Try their Jello-Macaroni Salad.
- Gupta Vegetarian, 51 S Court St, ☎ +1 641 472-0548. M-F 11:30AM-2PM,6PM-8PM. Vegetarian Indian.
- Istanbul Grill, 50 S 2nd St, ☎ +1 641 209-1458. Turkish.
- Mohan Delights, 101 W Broadway, ☎ +1 641 469-6900. 11AM-2PM daily. Vegetarian Indian food prepared Ayurvedic style.
- Noodle House, 59 N Court St, ☎ +1 641 472-0222. Thai.
- Thai Deli, 120 W Broadway, ☎ +1 641 472-3902. Thai restaurant, they label themselves "vegetarian" but some meat dishes appear on the menu as well.
- Vivo, 607 W Broadway, ☎ +1 641 472-2766. M-Sa 5PM-9PM. Italian, but they closed in March, 2013.
- Crepe Escape, 501 N 2nd St, ☎ +1 641 472-5199. T-Sa 8AM-5PM. Crepes, lunch; coffee/juice bar all day, scones & turnovers til they're gone in the morning.
- Revelations, 112 North Main Street, ☎ +1 641 472-6733. M-Sa 8AM-5PM, Fri to 9PM. Stone hearth pizza, soups, sandwiches, books.
- Green Gourmet, 117 E Broadway Ave, ☎ +1 641 472-2277. M-Sa 11:30AM-4PM. Organic buffet, much local, western, Indian, Thai, Chinese
- Ila's Bistro, 116 N Main St, ☎ +1 641 209-1005. M-Sa 11AM-8:30PM, Su 9AM-7:30PM. Sandwiches, soups, entrees, some organic, much local.
- Second Street Coffee House, 116 N Main St, ☎ +1 641 472-7587. M-Sun 8:30AM-8:30PM. Coffee, smoothies, sandwiches, soups, entrees, some organic, much local, lunch buffet.
- 5 or 6 good coffee shops, be sure to check out Cafe Paradiso on the Square for the freshly roasted coffee. Plus they have live music and you can draw on the tables! They now serve wine and for events, beer.
- Revelations cafe is another good place to stop by, with tasty Mocha Java Milkshakes and the best brick oven pizza around. Not to mention the thousands of books available for your perusal.
- Other coffee shops include 2nd Street Cafe, with great lattes and an owner with character! Also Everybodies Whole
Foods has a thriving coffee shop that serves expresso and freshly made juice combos.
|Routes through Fairfield|
|Osceola ← Ottumwa ←||W E||→ Mount Pleasant → Burlington|
|Ends at ← Keosauqua ←||S N||→ Washington → Iowa City|