Ellicottville is a village in the Southern Tier of New York. It is famous for its ski resorts, Holiday Valley and HoliMont, the former recently ranked the number 4 ski resort in the Eastern United States.
US 219 runs north from I-86, as well as south from Buffalo. Additionally, NY242 runs into the village.
The closest airport is in Buffalo, as well as the closest Amtrak station. However, driving to Buffalo is not hard at all: just take the 219 north to the end of the road at the New York State Thruway (I-90), then get off at Exit 53 (I-190 north). Downtown Buffalo is five minutes past the exit.
Within the village of Ellicottville (downtown), one does not need a car, as the village is very compact and everybody walks. Everything you want to see or do is on or near Washington Street, the main thoroughfare. However, if you are going from town to the ski resorts, you will need a car. Holiday Valley is located about a mile from the village on US 219, and HoliMont is on NY 242 before you enter the village.
- Nannen Arboretum, 28 Parkside Drive, ☎ +1 716 699-2377. The 8 acre site, open year round, is a sanctuary for hundreds of trees, shrubs, perennial flowers, herbs and nature walks. It also includes a Japanese meditation garden, a pond with a fish, and 2 wonderful locations for wedding ceremonies and outdoor educational events at the Chapman Nature Sanctuary and the Northrup Nature Hall. Admission is free; donations are gratefully accepted.
Skiing and snowboarding are what a vast majority of visitors to Ellicottville come to do. The two ski resorts are:
- Holiday Valley, Holiday Valley Road, ☎ +1 716-699-2345. Rated the number 4 resort in the east by readers of SKI magazine , this is the larger of the two resorts, and has full snowmaking capabilities to stay operational throughout the winter. In the summer, "the valley" boasts an 18 hole golf course. Holiday Valley also includes the Holiday Valley Tubing Co., for snow tubing.
- HoliMont, 6291 NY Route 242, ☎ +1 716-699-2320. Open to the public Monday through Friday, in order to ski here on the weekends, you must be a member. This is the largest privately owned ski club in North America. For weekend skiing, head over to Holiday Valley.
Besides the ski resorts, there are many other things to do in Ellicottville:
- In the fall, check out the Nightmare Hay Rides, and in the summer check out the Ellicottville Rodeo. Both are located at 6319 Sommerville Valley Rd, outside the village.
- Ellicottville Village Park, Just off Maples Rd behind the Legion, +1 716 699-2240. Fully equipped park with picnic shelter, tennis, soccer, baseball, inline skating, washroom and changing facilities.
Funky Washington Street has a surprisingly huge selection for a small village- Check out some of the shops:
- Alexandra, 10 Washington Street, ☎ +1 716 699-5621. Eclectic collection of jewelry, gifts, pottery, books, cards, stationary, party ware and toys for all ages. Create an atmosphere with An array of scented candles, incense and aromatic bath and beauty treatments.
- Betsy's Consignments, 34 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-6131. One of the most unique stores. Patterned after Aspen's best consignment shop. Betsy's has high-end items for men, women and children. Open 10-5pm M-S,12-5pm Sun.
- Bruce Candles of Ellicottville, 12 Monroe St, ☎ +1 716 699-6077. They specialize in finely made, handcrafted candles and candle accessories. They can also custom-make candles, and refill empty candle jars.
- Earth Arts, 24 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-2169. Fine crafts, original art, sculptures, objects of interest and amusement. This is a must-see for all in Ellicottville.
- Gado-Gado, 18 Monroe St, ☎ +1 716 699-2128. Unique Women’s & Children’s Clothing · Handpainted Textiles · Accessories · Antiques · Silver & Beaded Jewelry · Handcrafted Candles and Lighting · Unusual Home Furnishings · Incense · World Music
- Gone Wild Creations, 25 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-2200. Custom-made furniture.
- Pathway Books, 14 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-2433. Excellent local used bookstore.
- Watson's Chocolates, 20 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-2805.
- A Touch of Ellicottville, 30 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-5385. The one-stop shop for Ellicottville souvenirs, including T-shirts, bumper stickers, and a toy store in the back.
Because Ellicottville is known as the "Aspen of the East", there are many ski- and snowboard-specific shops. A good tip for those looking to buy new skis or snowboards is to wait till the end of the season. Prices are typically $200-$300 lower than what they would be at the beginning and during the ski season. Typically, prices go down in mid-March, which means you can still get a couple of weeks in before the resorts close.
- The Boardroom, 6113 RT 219 S (next to Holiday Valley) +1 716 699-5620. The place to go for a snowboard in Ellicottville, as well as the only snowboard-specific shop. Right next to Holiday Valley. Very good service.
- Greg Dekdebrun's Ski & Snowboard, 20 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-2754.
- Mud, Sweat n' Gears Ski and Snowboard, 21 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-8300. A shop and social gathering place in downtown Ellicottville.
- Red Door Ski Shop, 11 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-2026.
- The City Garage, 5 Monroe St, ☎ +1 716 699-2054. This is a ski-specific shop
- Apres, 23 Washington Street, ☎ +1 716 699-8848. A ski, casual and sportswear boutique for all seasons. Browse through the assortment of jewelry, accessories, unique gifts, books and a lot more.
- Balloons Restaurant, 20 Monroe St, ☎ +1 716 699-4162.
- Barn Restaurant, 7 Monroe St, ☎ +1 716 699-4600.
- DJ's Restaurant, 26 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-8966.
- Ellicottville Depot, 6094 Rt. 219 S (near Holiday Valley), +1 716 699-4744. Pizza & wings, movies, and souvenirs.
- Hoagies, 24 Monroe St, ☎ +1 716 699-4696. Pizza, subs, & Mexican food.
- Madigans, 36 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-4455. A local favorite.
- The Hearth Restaurant, on-site at Holiday Valley. +1 716 699-2010. Expensive, but good food. Overlooks the slopes.
- Tips Up Cafe, 32 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-2136.
- Brunner's Eatery, 7171 Boston State Rd (Rt. 219 Boston - Hambug Exit Head So.1/10th mi). 11am-11pm. Plenty of parking, Pizza, Subs,Wings, Tacos, Pasta,Soups, Beer, reasonable.
- Coolings Ice Cream Cafe, 10a Washington St (716) 699-8860. A quaint coffee and ice cream shop.
- Ellicottville Brewing Company, 28 Monroe St, ☎ +1 716 699-2537. The Ellicottville Brewing Company is a micro-brewery of fabulous craft beers with a tremendous American cuisine menu. European style beer garden. No reservations accepted.
- Double Diamond, 26 Monroe St, ☎ +1 716 699-8890. Great food & beer- Come here to play pool and socialize.
- Gin Mill, 20 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-2530.
- All of the above places have great food and should not be overlooked by families with children for a late-afternoon lunch or dinner.
- Adams Corner B&B, 24 Washington St, ☎ +1 716 699-5643. Four bedroom bed & breakfast located just two blocks from the quaint village of Ellicottville. Offers you a choice of room types, simplicity or luxury. All rooms have TV's small refrigerator. Simplicity rooms each have double bed and share a bath. Luxury rooms, over garage, with private entrance, each have queen bed, whirlpool tub for two, bath with shower, and deck. They share a kitchenette. No pets, no children, double occupancy only.
- Black Dog Lodge B&B, 7975 Route 219 +1 716 699-6900. Five minutes north of Ellicottville on Rte. 219. A country getaway, located on a beautiful hillside, invites visitors to coutry beauty and relaxation at its finest. The grounds surrounding the lodge feature a lovely stocked trout pond with paddle boats, wooded trails on over 60 secluded acres, for a romantic walk, a hearty summer hike or a winter snowshoeing trek. Each guest room is comple with fireplace, ensuite baths and Jacuzzi style tubs, and all the amenities expected in a fine country lodge.
- Jefferson Inn B&B, 3 N. Jefferson St, toll-free: +1-800-577-8451. In Ellicottville, the only bed & breakfast not on a highway is located behind the Town Hall, were one would walk to the restaurants and shops. Click on the website for availability, pictures, and description of the many amenities. Chose either the romantic B&B or the efficiency units for families with pets or young children. AAA approved.
- Edelweiss Lodge, 27 Jefferson St, ☎ +1 716 699-2734. In Ellicottville, located in the center of the Village- walking distance to all shops and restaurants. 3/4 miles to Holiday Valley. Rooms, chalets. Pool summer and winter. Four tennis courts. Complimentary continental breakfast.
- The Inn at Holiday Valley, On-site at Holiday Valley. (716) 699-2336. A comfortably elegant Inn, on the golf course & ski slopes. Indoor/outdoor year round pool, spa, sauna & exercise room. Complimentary continental breakfast. Ski & golf packages available. On site meeting rooms.
- Ellicottville Chamber of Commerce, 9 Washington St +1 716 699-5046.
- Ellicottville Memorial Library, 6499 Maples Rd +1 716 699-2842.
- Allegany State Park is 15 minutes south of Ellicottville. This 65,000 acre park offers excellent facilities for camping, swimming, fishing, biking, hunting, cross country skiing and snowmobiling.
- Buffalo is about an hour's drive north of here.
- Niagara Falls is half an hour north past Buffalo.
- The Finger Lakes region of New York state is about a 2 hour drive to the east, and is the largest wine producing region in the US outside of California.
|Routes through Ellicottville|
|Buffalo ← Hamburg ←||N S||→ Salamanca → DuBois|