Cities and towns
- Stewart International Airport, 1180 First St, New Windsor, +1 845 564-2100. The closest major airport is across the river from Beacon, but at present offers few direct flights to major destinations.
- Westchester County Airport, 240 Airport Road, White Plains, +1 914-995-4860 (airlines). Two counties away, but an alternative to the congestion of the 3 major international airports around New York City. Rental cars available.
- Newark Liberty International Airport, Newark, New Jersey, John F. Kennedy International Airport, and LaGuardia Airport: Livery cars offer service to and from 3 major international airports. Metro-North Railroad and Amtrak offer rail links to Dutchess County.
Taconic State Parkway runs through the center of the county and connects Albany and the I90 east-west portion of the Thruway system to New York City via the Saw Mill River and the Henry Hudson Parkways.
- Metro-North Railroad - Hudson line, . There is service between New York City's Grand Central Terminal and Beacon, New Hamburg, and Poughkeepsie. On-board train fares are subject to a stiff surcharge, so buy your tickets at the station or at the vending machines located on the platform.
- Metro-North Railroad - Harlem line, . There is service between New York City's Grand Central Terminal and Pawling, Appalachian Trail flag stop (limited service, but convenient for hikers), Harlem Valley-Wingdale, Dover Plains, Tenmile River, and Wassaic. On-board train fares are subject to a stiff surcharge, so buy your tickets at the station or at the vending machines located on the platform.
- Amtrak, . Runs on the Hudson River side of the county. Long distance connections are available at Metro-North's Poughkeepsie station.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library & Museum, 4079 Albany Post Rd, toll-free: +1-800-FDR-VISIT (337-84748). (Route 9), Hyde Park. This is the first presidential library, and to date the only one used by its namesake while in office. Museum hours 9AM-5PM daily November-April; 9AM-6PM May-October.
- Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site, ☎ +1 845 229-9115. Route 9G, Hyde Park. The only National Historic Site dedicated to a First Lady. Val-Kill is a modest home and it is the only one that was Eleanor's alone. House open daily May through October, 9AM-5PM. House is closed for renovation until August 2006, but grounds are open.
- Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site, ☎ +1 845 229-9115. Albany Post Rd (Route 9), Hyde Park. Open year round, daily. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day. Buildings are open 9AM-5PM, grounds are open 7AM to sunset.
- Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site, 4428 Albany Post Rd, ☎ +1 845 229-9115. (Route 9), Hyde Park. A magnificent mansion from the gilded age, set on 212 acres overlooking the Hudson River.
- Dia:Beacon, 3 Beekman St, ☎ +1 845 440-0100. Beacon. Museum for the Dia Art Foundation's collection of modern art, including works by Andy Warhol. Located in a 300,000 square foot historic factory on 31 acres of riverfront. Summer hours Th-M 11AM-6PM (closed Tu-W). Winter hours (mid-October to mid-April) 11AM-4PM F-M (closed Tu,W,Th). Adults $10, students and seniors $7, children under 12 free. Free admission for Dia members.
- Wilderstein, 330 Morton Rd, ☎ +1 845 876-4818. Rhinebeck. Stunning Queen Anne style mansion set on park-like grounds designed by Calvert Vaux. Open May-October, Th-Su noon-4PM.
- Innisfree Garden, ☎ +1 845 677-8000. Tyrrel Rd, Millbrook. 150 acre garden open to the public. Chinese landscape design incorporates streams, waterfalls, rocks, and plants. Center piece is the 40 acre glacial lake. Open May 7-October 20. W, Th, F, 10AM-4 PM; Sa, Su, and legal holidays, 11AM-5PM. Closed M and Tu except legal holidays. W, Th and F: $4/person 4 and older. Sa, Su, and legal holidays: $5/person 4 and older. No pets.
Follow the Dutchess County Wine Trail, . New York state is one of the larger wine producing states in the United States of America. The Hudson Valley is one of five production regions within the state, and Dutchess County produces some of the best wine in the area. Follow the trail and taste the produce of four wineries.
- Alison Wines & Vineyards, 231 Pitcher Lane, ☎ +1 845 758-6335. Red Hook. Tours and tastings from mid-April through December, Sa-Su 11AM-5PM. Views of the Catskill Mountains.
- Cascade Mountain Winery & Restaurant, 835 Cascade Mountain Rd, ☎ +1 845 373-9021. Amenia,
- Clinton Vineyards & Winery, 450 Schultzville Rd, ☎ +1 845 266-5372. Clinton Corners. Specializes in the Seyval Blanc grape. One of the few wineries in the region that produces sparkling wines fermented in the bottle, and has a line of dessert wines from specialty fruit. Tours and tasting Th-M 11AM-6PM (Winter: F-S Noon-4:30PM).
- Millbrook Vineyards & Winery, 26 Wing Rd, ☎ +1 845 677-8383, toll-free: +1-800-662-WINE (9463). Millbrook. Renowned winery with a long list of awards for its wines. 130 acres with 30 planted to grapes. The winery itself is located in a renovated dairy barn that has great views of the rolling hills of Dutchess County and of the Catskills across the Hudson River. The proprietors also own two wineries in California and one in Tuscany. Guided tours and tastings year round, 7 days a week, S-Sa 12PM-5PM. From Memorial Day through Labor Day S-Sa 11AM-6PM.
- Millbrook Diner, 224 Franklin Ave, ☎ +1 845 677-5319. Millbrook. Greek and American cuisine.
- The Culinary Institute of America, 433 Albany Post Rd. See full listing on the Hyde Park page.
Coffee & Tea
- Harney & Sons, 13 Main St, ☎ +1 518 789-2121. M-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 11AM-4PM. Millerton. Harney & Sons is a supplier of fine tea to renowned restaurants and hotels. The company headquarters and distribution center is on the outskirts of the village and it operates a tea shop and tasting room on Main Street. Visit the tasting room for a perfect cup of tea. The staff is courteous and graciously shares their vast knowledge of tea.
- Simmons’ Way Village Inn, 53 Main St, ☎ +1 518 789-6235. Rt. 44, Millerton. Library, fireplace, dining, wine cellar.
County wide 911 system for summoning emergency assistance. Dutchess County encompasses some of the safest areas in the United States and is a safe place to visit.
Most of the county is in telephone area code 845. The northeastern portion of the county uses the 518 area code.