|Daily highs (°F)||37||38||39||41||46||52||57||59||54||48||43||39|
|Nightly lows (°F)||28||28||28||32||37||42||46||47||43||37||32||30|
Data from NOAA (1981-2010)
Located on an island, Dutch Harbor-Unalaska is best accessed by plane. Alaska Airlines and PenAir fly in from Anchorage and Grant Aviation from Akutan, Atka and Nikolski.
The ferries of Alaska Marine Highaway sail to Dutch Harbor between April and October.
- Museum of the Aleutians, 314 Salmon Way. $5.
- Aleutian World War II National Historic Area (Visitor Center located on the apron of the Dutch Harbor airport), ☎ +1 907 581-1276. Year round, but May-October offer the best access. This site is the remains of one of four WWII era forts constructed to defend Dutch Harbor against a potential Japanese attack. The visitor center is free, however, a Land Use Permit must be obtained to visit the historic site on Mount Ballyhoo. Free.
- Church of the Holy Ascension, West Broadway Ave., ☎ +1 907 276-1596. The oldest Russian-built church still standing in the country. It was built in 1825 and then enlarged in 1894, when its floor plan was changed from to a pekov (the shape of a crucifix). On Broadway overlooking the bay, the church and its onion domes are a photographer's delight. The church contains almost 700 pieces of art, ranging from Russian Orthodox icons and books to the largest collection of 19th-century paintings in Alaska. The best time to view the church and its icons is at 18:00 on Saturday when staff members give an informal 30-minute tour just before service. Outside the church is a small graveyard, where the largest grave marker belongs to Baron Nicholas Zass. Born in 1825 in Archangel, Russia, he eventually became bishop of the Aleutian Islands and all of Alaska, before his death in 1882. Next door to the graveyard is the Bishop's House.
- Amelia's Restaurant, ☎ +1 907 581-2800. American cuisine.
- Peking Restaurant, 100 Gilman Rd, ☎ +1 907 581-2303. Chinese food.
- Grand Aleutian Hotel (Harbor View Inn), 498 Salmon Way, ☎ +1 907 581-3844, toll-free: +1-866-581-3844, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.