Dover is a city in Delaware.
The main arteries for Dover are rt 1, US 13, and US 113. There is also rt 8 that can be used as a main access point to US 50 and the Bay Bridge. Dover also has the Dover Air Force base that is a major outlet for most US Air Force planes that are leaving crossing the ocean.
Since Dover is not an extremely busy city, driving a car is practical for getting around most of the city. However if a car is not available then the Dart Bus transit system is a good idea since it has many stops around town. There are also taxis available, although they do not generally ride around town looking for fares so it would be best to call the dispatch to send one. These are some of the cab companies in the Dover area:
- City Cab Taxi, ☎ +1 302 734-TAXI (8294). City Cab Taxi has been proudly serving the state of Delaware and the Dover area for over 65 years.They offer taxi rides 24 hours a day and 365 days a year.
- George's Transportation Service, ☎ +1 302 223-5000. George's Transportation Service is a van service that provides transport for up to six people plus luggage.
Dover is home to many attractions including
- Air Mobility Command Museum, Dover Air Force Base (The museum has its own entrance gate on Rt 9. Just use exit 91 on US 113/DE 1.), ☎ +1 302 677-5938. The museum is located on the Dover Air Force base. It is one of the only museums that is dedicated to airlift and air refueling. And the best part is that is has free parking and admissions.
- The Delaware Agricultural Museum and Village, 866 North DuPont Highway Dover, Delaware 19901, ☎ +1 302 734-1618, fax: +1 302 734-0457. The Agricultural Museum is dedicated to helping kids remember where we came from. They offer tours for big or small groups.
- Beaches. There are no actual beaches in Dover but they are not very far away. Nearby beaches include Bethany, Rehoboth, and Bowers.
- Dover Downs Casino and Horse Racetrack, 1131 North DuPont Highway Dover, DE 19901, toll-free: +1-800-711-5882. Dover Downs has now added live card tables to its available games.
- Dover International Speedway, 1131 N Dupont Hwy Dover, DE 19901-2008, ☎ +1 302 883-6500. Twice a year the "Monster Mile" hosts a NASCAR race, once in the spring and once in the late summer.
Delaware does not have a state sales tax. As such, shopping in Dover is tax-free.
- Dover Mall, 1365 North Dupont Highway, Dover, DE, ☎ +1 302 678-4000. Monday through Saturday 10AM - 9PM, Sunday 11AM - 6PM. The Dover Mall has more than 80 different stores, including Macy's, Boscov's, JCPenney, and Sears department stores, a movie theater (Carmike Cinemas), and a more than 20,000 square foot Old Navy store.
- For Dreamers Gallery, 743 South Governor's Ave. Dover,DE 19943, ☎ +1 302 730-1234. For Dreamers Gallery is a small boutique that offers different kinds of art that would look at home in many home collections. The shop offers styles in pottery, glass, and wood.
- Forney's Too!, 102 W. Lockerman St. Dover, DE 19904, ☎ +1 302 734-2425. Forney's Too is a family owned store that specializes in unique items. They offer a wide selection of gifts for anyone for any occasion.
- Forney's Jewelers (Forney's), 106 W. Lockerman St. Dover, DE 19904, toll-free: +1-877-734-3425. Forney's is a small family owned jewelry store that is located in the heart of down town Dover. They not only sell, but also repair, resize and redesign jewelry.
- Dover Downs- The Festival Buffet. Has a good view of the horse racing track.
- Frankfurt Bakery, 429 South New Street, Dover, DE 19904-6715, ☎ +1 302 741-0180. 6:30AM-3PM. A small town bakery that has a wide variety of pastries and breads available everyday. It's owner/baker has almost 20 years of experience in baking bread and pastries. All of the breads are made from scratch and baked fresh daily with no preservatives. Cakes of all sizes ranging from 1/4 sheet to full sheets and 8-inch round cakes are available via special order. $1.65-$100+.
- McGlynns Pub and Restaurant, 800 North State St. Dover, DE 19904, ☎ +1 302 674-0144. Has same owners as Deer Park Tavern in Newark, Delaware. McGlynns Pub has both a nice sit down area that is family friendly and a bar area that has a very high spirited atmosphere. McGlynns Pub is a lively and active bar that boasts a great selection of beers, liquors, and wines, with TVs visible from most seats and sports games on them most of the time.
- Rita's Water Ice (Rita's), 191 North Dupont Highway, Dover, ☎ +1 302 674-9473. Rita's is an excellent and convenient place to stop for dessert or just as a nice treat on your way by.
- The Golden Fleece Tavern, 132 West Loockerman Street, Dover, DE 19904, ☎ +1 302 674-1776, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 4PM to 1AM Monday-Saturday; Noon to 1AM Sunday. The Golden Fleece Tavern is an historic bar and the site of Delaware's ratification of the Federal Constitution in 1787. Happy hour ($0.75 off all drinks) every day from 4:00-7:00, with free happy hour food on Friday. Often has a DJ or live music. $2.75 domestic drafts, $3.00 domestic bottles, $4.00 cocktails.
- Irish Mikes, 107 West Loockerman Street Dover, DE 19904-7325, ☎ +1 302 734-4578.
- Loockerman Exchange, 1 West Loockerman Street Dover, DE 19904, ☎ +1 302 724-6255.
- Best Western Galaxy Inn, 1700 E Lebanon Road, ☎ +1 302 735-4700, fax: +1 302 735-1604.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Dover, 655 North Dupont Highway, ☎ +1 302 677-0900, fax: +1 302 677-0907.
- Hampton Inn, 568 N Dupont Hwy, ☎ +1 302 736-3500.
- Hilton Garden Inn - Dover, 1706 N. DuPont Highway Dover, Delaware, ☎ +1 302 674-3784.
- Red Roof Inn, 52 N Dupont Hwy, ☎ +1 302 730-8009.
- Microtel Inn of Dover, 1703 Lebanon Road (SR1 Exit 95, Del Rt 10), ☎ +1 302 674-3800. Check-in: 3pm, check-out: 11am.
|Routes through Dover|
|Wilmington ← New Castle ←||N S||→ Camden → Salisbury|
|Wilmington via ← END ←||N S||→ Lewes → Ocean City|