Douala is the largest city and the commercial centre of Cameroon.
The Douala International Airport (IATA: DLA) serves as the main entrance point in the country. Camair-Co (national carrier) is the main service provider to the city of Douala. Other airlines also fly to Europe - Air France (Paris), Royal Air Maroc (Morocco), Brussels Airlines (Brussels) and Turkish Airlines (Istanbul). Several airlines provide links to African destinations.
Flights to Douala with major airlines are not available daily, hence a flexible schedule and a timely reservation is required.
On flights out of Douala a cash-only airport tax of FCFA 10 000 is payable after you have checked in but before passport control.
Passenger services are operated by Camrail. There are several daily services from the capital Yaoundé, brand new Intercity trains takes 3:45 h to complete the journey. There's also a slower service from Kumba twice a week.
- Bessengue Railway Station (Gare de Bessengue). The central station in Douala, located just off Blvd. de la Réunification.
- Douala Memorials, Douala water park, Douala shops
- Hotel Akwa Palace
- Place du Gouvernement
- La Pagode
Mediterranee (Greek and Pizza),
La Sorento (Italian pizzas),
Le dernier Comptoir Colonial (Fish, Prawn)
Vallée des Princes Hotel,
The Douala Gingerbrook Hotel,
- Planet Hotel, Akwa, west of the city, ☎ +237 33 43 31 31. Modern and marginally maintained hotel which is convenient for airport. Wireless internet works well, air conditioners do not. Rooms are generally clean and have TV with a few English channels. If you need entertainment, there is a nightclub across the street. 55000 CFA.
- Peninsula Plaza Hotel, Voie Makepe Est (North side of the city), ☎ +237 347 1741. A modern hotel which is on the northern side of the city. Rooms are quite good, with air conditioning. Internet might not work and hot water from in room boiler may not work. 25000 CFA.
English and French language broadcasts can be heard on BBC World Service on 101.3MHz.
- Greece, B.P. 617, 349 Rue Joffre, ☎ +237 3343-7742, fax: +237 3342-9935, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- British Honorary Consulate, BP 1016 Douala, ☎ +237 3343 9732, fax: +237 3343 9732, e-mail: Constance.Njike-HonCon@fconet.fco.gov.uk.